What about 2016 action themes?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Chima ending in 2015?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I actually doubt they will end it though news are confirming.
  2. 2. Do you think Legends of Chima will be replaced by a fresh new action theme in 2016?

• Yes, a brand new one.
    • No, they will simply have one less theme.
    • I still think they will confirm LoC for 2016 nevertheless.
  3. 3. Chima was said to replace Ninjago, but Ninjago lasted more than it. Does this mean that LoC is somehow a flop?

• Yes it is.
    • No, it is not, I wonder why they end it.
    • Half way. It was not a top seller, neither a flop. It lasted the time it had to last.
    • I already said I think LoC will continue in 2016 too.

I bought a few sets, but I always joked that, Chima was Fabuland before they were civilized.

....It's unfortunate that this theme was so hated,though,but even though people loved to hate it,I'll always love it.

I loved this line (quote, not theme) :tongue::thumbup:

I'm personally hoping for a Fantasy Castle theme next year, but who knows, maybe we will get another action theme on top of that :sceptic:

I wonder if it's not Lego who decides if Chima ends but Cartoon Network ?

And it's CN helps Lego decide what theme to try next ?

I really enjoyed the first waves of sets and figures for Chima- I thought it was fun, different, and except for getting way to many Lions, a cool figure line-up. The Fire and Ice idea kinda lost me, and though a few of the sets were cool, most were lackluster. The decay thing that they did on the printing was a huge turn off for me, and as much as I like the trans body parts, having them only for one side was weak.

I think Chima helped spawn a few things, and had a decent run, though. I think it did what it was supposed to do.

Would a Futurama theme count as an action theme?

Well, action-y it may be, but it would go into the Licensed forum. (Unless it wouldnt, like LotR/Hobbit...)

Well, action-y it may be, but it would go into the Licensed forum. (Unless it wouldnt, like LotR/Hobbit...)

I highly doubt we'll ever get it anyway. It's probably got too much 'adult content' in it. :hmpf_bad:

I highly doubt we'll ever get it anyway. It's probably got too much 'adult content' in it. :hmpf_bad:

Well, we did get Simpsons, so never say never. :wink:

Well, we did get Simpsons, so never say never. :wink:

The Simpsons is still on the air, Futurama is not and has been canceled a few times.

I don't hate Chima, I just think it's lame. They should have made 5-12 sets a year, instead we get like 20-30 and they all feel the same and are all rather lame animal looking vehicles. There was nothing special about them, and with so many it watered down the theme. Themes should end and we should have some new fun thing to take over.

Change is good.

I was huge on Chima, I loved the minifigures and I got tons of the sets (mainly on sale months to a year after the fact cause hey I'm not made of money) but I don't really mind that it's ending. It had a decently long run and I have more than enough stuff to remember it by. The show also managed to pull itself together in its third season (hated the first one...) so it had a satisfying conclusion to its story as well.

This way I have one less theme to focus on (which is good since between Bionicle, Ninjago, Elves, Mixels, and assorted other things, 2015 is already going to be running me pretty ragged). Also this way I can just relax and focus on getting the very last couple of minifigs I need to have a complete selection. So it's fine.

I think we have enough "action themes" running right now to get by with even without Chima, but there's certainly a chance that something new will pop up.

The talk in the Castle 2016 thread is that there will be a new theme in January 2016 and that it will be bigger than usual (and probably fantasy related). I think it may be an Action / Castle theme meant to replace Chima. Some Castle fans hate the idea, but I think it could work, depending a lot on the specifics.

I have every Chima sets, I'm a huge fan of the theme, very sad it is the end :(

I'll put money in another theme I guess. I'll expand my modular city I think.

The talk in the Castle 2016 thread is that there will be a new theme in January 2016 and that it will be bigger than usual (and probably fantasy related). I think it may be an Action / Castle theme meant to replace Chima. Some Castle fans hate the idea, but I think it could work, depending a lot on the specifics.

I think it's silly to hate a theme before it is even released, or we see anything of it. Bigger than normal = good. As long as it's more Castle than NinjaGo was to Ninja I'll be happy. If we have Castle jets or something then I wouldn't even bother to call it Castle. But if it's Castle Fantasy like last time with a story and TV show I can see it working.

That would be close to what Knights Kingdoms II was, 10 years ago

That would be close to what Knights Kingdoms II was, 10 years ago

I certainly wouldn't mind a theme that was like Knights Kingdom II's early concepts. But I imagine Castle fans might prefer something a bit more traditional.

Edited by Lyichir

I certainly wouldn't mind a theme that was like Knights Kingdom II's early concepts. But I imagine Castle fans might prefer something a bit more traditional.

Looking at the concept art for the Castle of Morcia in comparison to the final product is mind-blowing. How did such a cool looking design end up getting reduced to a small, blocky facade? :wacko:

I haven't seen those before. Thanks!

Oh gods, it was too.

I Feel SO OLD.

I know right!! It seems it was yesterday :cry_sad: ... I'm feeling like a museum piece

In a couple of years Adventurers will be 20 years old

Edited by Robert8

I'm secretly hoping in a revival of the adventurers theme. Johnny Thunder's apperance in the lego movie dropship set wasn't a one off right?

Right?

Knights Kingdom obviously had some action theme traits. I always want to see a more fantasy-like version and deep story for the Castle theme. Recent Castle and Pirate rivivals mostly result in rehashing classics. Expect to see a written plot with two or three exclusive minifigures in any future alterations.

I'm secretly hoping in a revival of the adventurers theme. Johnny Thunder's apperance in the lego movie dropship set wasn't a one off right?

Right?

I never understood why they don't bring him back, and why they didn't in the last Egyptian theme from a few years back.

I never understood why they don't bring him back, and why they didn't in the last Egyptian theme from a few years back.

Technically, I liked the new cast from the last Egyptian theme largely because it was a different sort of story. Adventurers was largely a pastiche of adventure movies like Indiana Jones, whereas Pharaoh's Quest was more like a pastiche of action movies like The Mummy. I also liked that the cast of Pharaoh's Quest maintained the weather-based naming from Adventurers.

That brings up another possible reason why Adventurers hasn't come back—it's harder to appeal to nostalgia when the characters didn't even have the same name in all countries. People who grew up with Sam Grant are going to wonder who Johnny Thunder is, just like I used to wonder who "Pippin Reed" was and what she had done with Gail Storm.

Technically, I liked the new cast from the last Egyptian theme largely because it was a different sort of story. Adventurers was largely a pastiche of adventure movies like Indiana Jones, whereas Pharaoh's Quest was more like a pastiche of action movies like The Mummy. I also liked that the cast of Pharaoh's Quest maintained the weather-based naming from Adventurers.

That brings up another possible reason why Adventurers hasn't come back—it's harder to appeal to nostalgia when the characters didn't even have the same name in all countries. People who grew up with Sam Grant are going to wonder who Johnny Thunder is, just like I used to wonder who "Pippin Reed" was and what she had done with Gail Storm.

I'm sorta not sure about changing the story in a similiar theme concept. Unless a new story does help making the theme more appealing and also endow the new figures with more accurate parts, like Agent→UA's case, I don't think that's necessary. As for me, it'd be fine to see a recurring adventurer group with exclusive characters in every subtheme.

Ninjago characters have almost different names in Chinces area, though English names are mostly the same in other countries. I think only the future direction would help unifying those regional names in order to market to a new generation.

Edited by Dorayaki