Hello!

Let’s start with a little introduction.

About one and a half years ago, - thank to my growing daughter, who started to play with Lego – my dark age ended.

Bought the 9395. I was amazed. New parts, interesting building technics... at least for me.

The journey begun...

I’m rather ’reader’ type, so not posting too much, but reading the forum almost every day.

Working on a project, since last autumn, and when this contest came, I decided to build something (something different)

Simply I could not choose, what to build. Another super car/excavator/ truck/tank/crane?

No. There will be a lot of them.

This train of thought led to the idea, that I should build something, what not going anywhere.

Still not easy, but fortunately it came into my mind. Let it be a whirligig. Decided. :classic:

So, my contest entry is a technic whirligig.

Functions:

1. Rotating superstructure. (L motor, speed control with train remote a)

2. Main arm rising/lowering (XL motor - standart remote a)

3. Secondary arm moving ( L motor, - standart remote b)

4. Basket rotating (M motor - speed control with train remote b)

It's still in progress. I received the last parts today.

Hope that willl be ready till the deadline. :blush:

Pictures at the weekend.

Almost ready, everything working fine in test mode.

I really, really hope, that everything will be ok after the full assembling. :sweet:

Just found this video.

My build not modelling any existing thing, but this one is slightly similar.

Hi

I promised some pictures. Sadly, it isn't finished, but almost.. :wink:

Photos taken right before assembling.

1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg

1024x768.jpg

Very nice and rather UNIQUE. Can't wait to see a video of the assembled master-piece.

A small detail if I may. Bottom center in the above picture, where you have the blue half-pin sticking out, maybe this part will be a 'cleaner' fit.

10197.jpg

PS: I also like it because it has NO tires!

Edited by DrJB

I love non-vehicle Technic.

For the function #2 and #3, I saw you are using LA to lift the arms. Are these LAs able to extend and retract periodically, or you need to manually switch via RC?

Looking forward to seeing this baby in action. Like the other commentors, I really like non-vehicle Technic creations. If this works properly, you can count on one of my votes.

Thanks for all the positive posts !

Today morning I finished it :classic:

There was a little problem, with arms attached, in need of bigger torque a gear has been pushed out.(function 1)

Fortunately, some nem parts to good position solved the problem.

I love non-vehicle Technic.

For the function #2 and #3, I saw you are using LA to lift the arms. Are these LAs able to extend and retract periodically, or you need to manually switch via RC?

They controlled manually, but it's a very good idea to automate.. After the contest I will try to make it if i will have time (but there is an other big project, maybe I should work on that)

Looking forward to seeing this baby in action. Like the other commentors, I really like non-vehicle Technic creations. If this works properly, you can count on one of my votes.

Thank you. Now, it's working fine, but i need to shot a video, whitch is the most difficult part for me.

New pictures, finished state :classic:

1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg1024x768.jpg

In a different thread someone made a comment about TLG buying up all the great theme ideas, leaving none for the clones.

I'm so glad the fans of the world prove that wrong by coming up with brilliant innovative designs like this to keep us all wide eyed like kids again. Great effort and please take a video at some point. I bet it's poetry in motion :laugh:

Edited by bonox

While I really like the idea, I do think it's way too large and the tower looks very bulky. (This could also be caused by the rainbow color scheme that I'm not fond of.) I think this would work better using traditional studded lego with Technic insides, and on a (much) smaller scale. For example, do you really need the second degree of freedom in the arm (small LA)?

Thanks for the feedback!

It was a very very busy week, and I barely manage to make the video for the contest. (there was a system crash yesterday on my PC, then a full re-install :wacko: )

So, here is the amateur video, I hope you like it.

It was nice to work on it, but now I go back to my big project (12*12*12 mobil crane)

:classic:

Truly unique model, very good implementation, you should take it to a Lego expo, the kids would love it!