Sign in to follow this  
Sylvian

[TC6] 80´s 6x6 Kodiak-Topkick

Hey hello fellow builders, i dont know if i will finish in time but i will try,. For quite a while i´ve been wanting to make something like a towtruck, i know i am not the first and seeing all these awesome creations made by some of you guys i knew i didnt want to make another peterbilt or kenworth, but since i really do like US trucks i decided to go with this.

The basic design for the chassis and cab is pretty much done. the location for the fueltanks isnt really logical for a towtruck and lots of kodiak´s and topkicks have the fueltank and sidesteps combined but i needed space for both the L/motors and gearing. As for the gearing, no gearbox only some reductions.

The front axle has leafsprings and is only held by two pins, but its actually strong enough, also it will make it really easy to convert to a 6x4.

The rear axle is perpendicular (right?) in two directions so it will move nicely over bumps and such.

As for the crane and everything behind the cab, i am not sure yet. I also havent decided where to put the M-motor which will be used for the steering.

Anyways, here's what i got so far. (srry for the crappy image quality)

20150205_084617_zpsmw6ccqu3.jpg

20150205_084723_zpsya7evthw.jpg

20150205_093738_zpsfwy2xwmr.jpg

20150205_093942_zpskiwdjegc.jpg

20150205_094257_zpsa8zft1ne.jpg

Cheers!

Wow, guy at another topic did the same awesome moc, and he also copied your nickname!

Look here

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105499

:)

Good job. But I doubt gear 20:12 at front axle is not braced strong enough.

I would like to see how steering works.

Edited by rm8

This looks so cute and promising!! I really like it and hope you will keep the good work up! It's nicely shaped!

Why not a logging truck??

@RM8,.. i dunno,.. what i did :blush: maybe a moderator can remove the other post. Anyways, i did struggled a bit with those gears you mentioned, as you can see i allready braced the 12t gear, which works really well. the 20t gear I am afraid i cant brace any stronger but its sufficient enough actually as i allready got the dreaded grinding at the dif. so.. i thought up a solution for that.

20150205_103719_zpspqfwj4aj.jpg

which,.. well, makes the 12t and 20t gear grind once again. so its either the dif grind or the grinding of the 12t and 20t gear.

offcourse i could also find a way to directly connect the universal joint,.. but i dont want :tongue:

here's a picture of the steering.

20150205_104914_zpsatwcnd7h.jpg

@TheItalianBrick

Thats not a bad idea actually,.. dont know if i can pull it of though as i still need room for 3 M-motors..

thanks for the comments guys :sweet:

well maybe a just a tipping bed and a winch to pull trees LOL

It looks good at the moment...few details will make it perfect!!

well maybe a just a tipping bed and a winch to pull trees LOL

It looks good at the moment...few details will make it perfect!!

Have you been playing spintires lately? :tongue:

Have you been playing spintires lately? :tongue:

LOL no!! Just giving suggestions :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

But I think a little bed with a huge winch on it would be great! and you show in the video how powerful it's the winch and pull maybe a lego model!

It is very nice but I don´t like the steering rod, it will fail again and again.

thnx, but how exactly will it fail according to you?

From the days when studless meant covering up your studs and not using modern lego...

love that front axle...!

thnx, but how exactly will it fail according to you?

IMO the steering axle between the wheels will fail easy but I build more strong and less nice than you :wink: .

Lol thank you sir, for your eloquence hehe. I wouldnt say you build less nice. I absolutely love your f40. But yeah i want something that suits the overall design and this holds up pretty well so far.

But ehh.. between you and me.. the axle/rod is 11l

So not allowed in the contest...

But ehh.. between you and me.. the axle/rod is 11l

So not allowed in the contest...

Why don't you just use a connector with to axles that add to make 11l, e.g. 5l and 6l, 9l and 2l.

I like this model a lot. It adds a different side to competition.

From the days when studless meant covering up your studs and not using modern lego...

love that front axle...!

Thanks alot! glad you like the axle.

I guess nowadays it means covering up the modern lego hehe.

20150205_204608_zpszet7y2fc.jpg

Why don't you just use a connector with to axles that add to make 11l, e.g. 5l and 6l, 9l and 2l.

I like this model a lot. It adds a different side to competition.

Will most likely do so.. thanks!

Tomorrow/this weekend i will probably extend the chassis find a good solution for the steering motor and make a cosmetic engine to make the enginebay a little more interesting.

Edited by Sylvian