Duq

To buy or not to buy: The 60051 Passenger Train

I think the Passenger train is ugly. I really don't like that one-big-mold nose. I also really don't need more curved track or remote controls so I figured I wouldn't buy the new passenger train.

On the other hand, Lego train sales seem to be suffering so we all should buy train sets or else the company might one day decide to stop producing them. So maybe I should buy the new passenger train after all.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples views on this dilemma.

I never thought I would build a High Speed Passenger Train for my LBB network, I had built a a modified version of 4511 about 10 years ago but was never really keen on the cab, when 7897 came out I toyed with the idea but after seeing the botched job they did on the cab I shelved that idea pretty fast. However when 60051 came out I decided to take the plunge, overall the basic set is alright but to be honest the length of the train and that of the centre coach had much to be desired, mind you once I addressed these issues and modified the design I ended up reasonably happy with the results.

I bought it a few days ago only because it was on sale here for €91. I really like it it's very slick and modern looking.

I really like it and have bought three sets. Made two longer trains and will use them as my subway trains. The rest of the bits went in the parts bin.

I can not resist to any Lego train :sceptic: honestly, I can not, I said to myself, well, you HAVE this white passenger train, the old one, and you don't need this new one, and I answered, yes, of course, you are write, but next time when nearby shop had 30% discount to all toys, I was there and, yes, I have also a new one :blush: "Oh, oh, catch that buzz, trains are the drug I'm thinking of, oh, oh, can't you see,

Lego trains are best drug for me..."

You should buy it and gift it to someone who loves trains and don't mind the junior nose job. :wink:

I bought it a few days ago only because it was on sale here for €91. I really like it it's very slick and modern looking.

Penneys! ;-) Argos!

I've got one reserved so now I have until tomorrow night to make up my mind.

I wasn't thrilled with the new passenger train either at first. However I started warming up to it after spending some time with it on another clubs layout late last summer. I'm with you on the big molded nose, I liked the brick built nose of the previous train better, but its pretty well done. I think you could probably come up with a few simple modifications to make the whole train really nice. And of coarse LEGO's passenger trains always look to short to me. So why not buy two and make a proper length high speed passenger train. I probably will.

Cale

As the good Dr had pointed out the nose job is bit junior. In fact, I would say it is a bit of a cheat. A single moulded piece to complete a major part of a model isn't exactly Lego's finest hour. But on the other hand it does yield a modern looking train that appeals to the target audience (kids). My young fella loves it. If you buy it and sell on what you don't need (PF and tracks) it wouldn't be a big outlay.

Edited by Crazywater

I'm not a massive fan of the base build, but having recently bought a second hand one and I really think there's some scope for a nice train with a bit or modding.

Penneys! ;-) Argos!

I've got one reserved so now I have until tomorrow night to make up my mind.

Yes argos for sure. Should have bought a second at that money :)

I brought one and I'm very happy with the design.......and if someone does like the nose on......brick build one to replace......we are AFOL's aren't we ? :laugh:

No, seriously the old green freight train end up becoming my SAR 501, so perhaps at the right price buy one even just for the parts and track. :wink:

I think the Passenger train is ugly. I really don't like that one-big-mold nose. I also really don't need more curved track or remote controls so I figured I wouldn't buy the new passenger train.

On the other hand, Lego train sales seem to be suffering so we all should buy train sets or else the company might one day decide to stop producing them. So maybe I should buy the new passenger train after all.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples views on this dilemma.

You dont like it, you dont need the parts so why buy it ? Your single buy wont change the world sales...

I just love it. I don't care about the single part nose. It make this train very ICX like. It looks much more modern than the 70's HE design.

Edited by Exa

You dont like it, you dont need the parts so why buy it ? Your single buy wont change the world sales...

@Exa, if everyone thought that way no one would vote. In this case though, I think you've accurately described the reasons not to purchase it.

@Duq, if you're really concerned, write Lego customer service an email or letter stating your point of view. It'll probably take only as long as getting the set would have (and be much cheaper!), and they might value the information.

I'll buy one once it goes on sale for a good deal. While I'm not crazy about the nose design, if the set gets more youngsters I to lego train at an early age I'm all for it. Leave the more advanced sets for the Creator Expert line, keep it simple for the City Trains.

Regarding the nose from Rail Bricks Summer 2014 issue

"RB: The new passenger train uses a single molded nose piece in place of the brick-built nose of the previous 7938 Passenger Train. What influenced the decision to use the one-piece nose on the new train?"

"R/A: The decision to use a single-molded front nose piece was influenced by two factors. First is the complexity of the model when building; it is easier for our target age group to build with the single-molded piece. Second is the flexibility in design that a single element gives us the opportunity to do that a brick build front doesn’t."

"RB: After the ill-fated molded nose of the 7897 RC passenger train, many fans were pleased to see a return to the multipart brick-built nose for the 7938 train for its more traditional LEGO look and the versatility of its individual parts. Now with the return of a large nose piece for the new train, fans are understandably leery about adopting what many consider to be a single-use piece. Do you feel that when fans finally have their hands on the new train they will be more accepting of the new nose piece and use it in their own trains?"

"R/A: The reactions from fans in response to the 7897 RC passenger train molded nose piece were understandable. The piece had a very big gap between the element and the rest of the model. I think fans will be happy with the redesigned element, as the gap has been removed and a new glass part has been added so the whole front looks really good. For any piece to be used in a different context, it’s up to the creativity of the builder."

Duq, in your ambivalence toward the passenger train but also desire to support lego trains in general (both points I certainly respect), why not simply buy a second (or third, or ???) copy of the freight train and either build it or use it for parts? I think the freight train is a better buy as a parts pack than the passenger train. It would also send the right message to lego- design a better set and it will generate demand. On the other hand, several others have raised good points that the passenger train could easily be modified to something a lot nicer. For me, though, to put that kind of effort I would rather build something else from scratch.

I had mentioned in another thread that if we do not have an AFOL train, we as a community really need to come up with a few gateway designs to take the stock train sets and use a few more parts to turn them in to a much nicer train (e.g., as I had done with the Lone Ranger engine, with or without the custom rods). Since several folks have already come up with an improved design for the passenger train, if one of them has a CAD file for it perhaps we could circle our wagons and turn it into a set of instructions? Even in my case that could overcome the "it takes too much effort to mod the set". (BTW, I've got thoughts along this line for the freight train, but please do not let me stop others from doing the same)

I have 4 of these now, got two for free and bought two. It is a good price and does look better in person.

... that is the question! I'm keeping an eye out for a discounted one. I wasn't interested in the previous high speed train, but this one looks pretty good, though it could definitely use an extra car or two... or four :tongue::classic:

I just snapped one up for a £30 discount in the UK, BNIB. I was wary of buying it full price (I really don't need more R40 curves...) but the discount swayed me. The nosepiece is massively improved over 7897. Rebuilding in brick is possible, but I'm going to live with it as is for a while.

Hello, I'm new to the forum, I would say buy it for parts if anything and if you really think LEGO would stop producing trains with poor sales. Although if sales are down do you think the trains would go on sale to move overstock?

Duq, in your ambivalence toward the passenger train but also desire to support lego trains in general (both points I certainly respect), why not simply buy a second (or third, or ???) copy of the freight train and either build it or use it for parts? I think the freight train is a better buy as a parts pack than the passenger train. It would also send the right message to lego- design a better set and it will generate demand. On the other hand, several others have raised good points that the passenger train could easily be modified to something a lot nicer. For me, though, to put that kind of effort I would rather build something else from scratch.

I had mentioned in another thread that if we do not have an AFOL train, we as a community really need to come up with a few gateway designs to take the stock train sets and use a few more parts to turn them in to a much nicer train (e.g., as I had done with the Lone Ranger engine, with or without the custom rods). Since several folks have already come up with an improved design for the passenger train, if one of them has a CAD file for it perhaps we could circle our wagons and turn it into a set of instructions? Even in my case that could overcome the "it takes too much effort to mod the set". (BTW, I've got thoughts along this line for the freight train, but please do not let me stop others from doing the same)

You make valid points (as usual). Looking at the price and number of parts the freight train doesn't actually seem to be better value than the passenger train, at least not at the prices overhere. Still, I think I'll start with my first copy of the freight train ;-)

60051 was great value at €91 on sale. The power functions parts are worth nearly that. Glad I got it now as it's back to normal price.