just2good

LEGO Ideas WALL-E

There's just so much to love about this set: The compact, yet detailed and accurate design, the fact that it was made by someone who actually worked on the film, and that it isn't just about minifigs like the Dr. Who project seems to be.

In fairness, the Doctor Who project really is about more than just minifigures; if you check out the video on the project page, the TARDIS build is really nicely done in how it folds out and all, and the non-minifigure characters (K9 and the Dalek) are very good purist, legal builds of non-humanoid characters at minifigure scale. It's all particularly impressive when you consider that it was posted almost immediately after CUUSOO began even accepting Doctor Who projects at all.

Both these projects were successful because the proposal models are so we-designed, I think. Based on the pics, I could almost see LEGO's team releasing both with little or no further modification.

I'm really keen to see how functional WALL·E is.

I'm not sure if anyone's said this yet, but I hope the final product comes with Eve and M-O

I'm wishing that this also includes a minifig-sized Wall-E, on a display stand with Wall-E's stats, similar to what they do in UCS sets. (Yes I know they probably won't include it, but it would be great!)

Edited by EZNetwork

I'm not sure if anyone's said this yet, but I hope the final product comes with Eve and M-O

That would be awesome, but they'd be huge additions, well beyond the scope of the original proposed project, and would increase the price significantly if they were in anything close to the same scale. However, I think WALL·E's cockroach pal is a given (it's actually part of the original project), and perhaps he could also have the plant, and/or smaller (minifigure-scale) versions of himself and EVE.

I've been playing around with a model of WALL-Es wheel arrangement in LDD, and it got me thinking. How posable will the model be? We know for a fact that he'll have the tracks, head, and arms posable. But what about other sections? I'd love to be able to adjust the shape of the track, like how WALL-E stands higher, open up the front door and fold up the top of his body and push his back in like when he compacts trash, and possibly slide his arms back and forth on his body. From what I could tell, it's quite easy to add in all these hinges and such. The only two I'd be concerned about are extending his arms and making the L shaped track that his arms slide on. If we can't get all these features, I hope we can at least angle his eyes, adjust his eyebrows, and movable track.

I just posted this in the Ideas thread in The Embassy, and I see someone else already mentioned it in the The Big Bang Theory thread in this forum, but it's also relevant here, so:

The Brick Fan has an interesting rumor report on the next two Ideas sets:

To make up for the downtime early this morning, we have some new information about the upcoming LEGO Ideas The Big Bang Theory and WALL•E sets. Many fans have been waiting for any kind information about them but there’s been absolutely nothing so far, until now. This information comes from the same contact who first told us that the LEGO Marvel Super Heroes The Shield Helicarrier (76042), LEGO The Simpsons Kwik-E-Mart (71016), and the LEGO Star Wars UCS TIE Fighter (75095) would be released this year.

For both of the new LEGO Ideas sets, the pricing was said to be at NZD 109.99 which converts to around $80 so my guess is that the sets will be between $70-$90. What this may mean is that the sets will be the most expensive LEGO Ideas sets to date and will probably be the largest in terms of piece count as well. They also told me that they will be available in New Zealand in September but we usually get the sets a little earlier so I’m thinking around the middle of summer wave sets.

Intriguing... if true, of course, which it may well not be. But I can see the next logical expansion of Ideas being a move into larger sets, after already accelerating releases from one every couple years to four in one year, as they did last year and are continuing this year.

The Big Bang set is minifigure-heavy so I can see the reason behind the price point, but how big is the LEGO Ideas Wall-E going to be? I tried looking through the Ideas page, but I can't find the piece count.

You can get an idea just by looking at it, though. It'll be fairly large - much larger scale than minifigures, or most other common figure scales including the "constraction" lines, though much smaller in scale than, say, the UCS R2-D2.

Cool, looks nice, and a good improvment on the very similar original!

$50 USD, Sept 1st is what I've heard from my local LEGO Store... :grin:

Edited by just2good

Lots of people are missing it, but the roach IS in the set!

ZEzDSDe.png

Adorable and simple build for that little fellow!

Birds are number 9, BBT (probably) 10, Wall-E -12. So - Dr Who is 11. So no 2 - we should see him soon?

I need it!!! I do wish it came with mini models of eve and wall-e though

Very nice looking set. I won't be buying because of all the other awesome sets coming out, but it is spectacular. Very clean build all around. Might be fun to drive around too!

Whoa! A new Ideas set revealed by a retailer site?! I'd expect that with "regular" sets, but not an Ideas one. Bizarre.

WALL·E looks great, though his eyes/"head" looks perhaps a wee bit large, considering it's supposed to be retractable into his body. Still quite nice proportions, though. And I'm glad to see they're including not only his little roach buddy but the plant as well.

So no 2 - we should see him soon?

?