just2good

LEGO Ideas WALL-E

Arghhhh... I planned to order the set during the coming soon double VIP point promo at the European S@H and it is now "Temporarily out of stock" with ordering not possible! :cry_sad:

I hope they will get back in stock, or at list become available for backorder soon, before the promo ends... :look:

Edited by Vodnik

Interesting piece of news from TLG Customer Service: I asked when the set will be available again at the European S@H and was informed that after complains about the head moving too freely, they recalled the product and are redesigning it. It should be available again in a few weeks. Considering that the previous "recall" of this set supposedly only concerned the US market and was a result of production quality problem with the hinge part that was only used at that market, it looks like this is a different issue. Maybe TLG decided to address the problem of the head rotating freely?...

Interesting piece of news from TLG Customer Service: I asked when the set will be available again at the European S@H and was informed that after complains about the head moving too freely, they recalled the product and are redesigning it. It should be available again in a few weeks. Considering that the previous "recall" of this set supposedly only concerned the US market and was a result of production quality problem with the hinge part that was only used at that market, it looks like this is a different issue. Maybe TLG decided to address the problem of the head rotating freely?...

This seems likely to me. I've just ordered it from the US shop.lego.com, and it says that it's backordered until February. That's unusual for any lego set - usually it'll be a two-week delay, or if it's to be longer than that it'll say "Will ship within 30 days". For them to name a specific date that's four months from now makes it seem like there's something else going on behind the scenes, like a full neck redesign.

Huh, that's funny. I was just at my local LEGO Store today, and they had several copies of this set out on the shelf.

This seems likely to me. I've just ordered it from the US shop.lego.com, and it says that it's backordered until February. That's unusual for any lego set - usually it'll be a two-week delay, or if it's to be longer than that it'll say "Will ship within 30 days". For them to name a specific date that's four months from now makes it seem like there's something else going on behind the scenes, like a full neck redesign.

Yeah, I just ordered mine from shop.LEGO.com as well and got the same back ordered message. Which I'm actually fine with. The purchase counted toward my holiday train promo, and I'd rather wait a few weeks -- or even a few months -- and get one of the first redesigned sets with the neck issue resolved.

Yeah, I just ordered mine from shop.LEGO.com as well and got the same back ordered message. Which I'm actually fine with. The purchase counted toward my holiday train promo, and I'd rather wait a few weeks -- or even a few months -- and get one of the first redesigned sets with the neck issue resolved.

At least you were able to order it at all - at European S@H it is not orderable now :cry_sad: No double VIP points for me from this one :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Vodnik

Interesting if this is really that they will do because this freely spinning head is really annoying. I hope also that a correction will be available.

I wonder what will happen for the people who already have one? Will they issue a replacement parts pack to fix the issue? If it is too intensive of a redesign, that might be problematic.

I wonder what will happen for the people who already have one? Will they issue a replacement parts pack to fix the issue? If it is too intensive of a redesign, that might be problematic.

In the past, they always provided a replacement pack : I would be disappointed if this would not be the case for Wall-e.

Kinda glad I missed it in stores now. Plus money's short anyway, what with the Brick Bank and Ghostbusters Headquarters coming up, so I'll just save up.

Oh wait, I still need to buy the Ferris Wheel. And the Ecto-1. Noooooooooo

I don't remember something like this before.

It seems they just can't get the set fixed

There is no mention of current owners getting a service pack, but perhaps I should give them a call.

I emailed and got a reply back within 24 hrs.

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry that there's an issue with your new Wall-E set. I've gone ahead and sent you out the 4 replacement parts that are needed to fix the neck functionality issue. Once again I'm incredibly sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused you and if you have any other questions or concerns please let me know.

Followed by this... (even though it only mentions TWO parts not the four mentioned above).

Good news!

Your LEGO® pieces are on their way and will be there in the next 7-10 working days. If your parts haven’t arrived in this time, check LEGO.com/service for updates.

These are the LEGO parts we’ve packed for you:

How many? 2

Part number 4265484

Technical name BRICK 1X2 W/STUB VERTICAL END

Hmmm...

I haven't received my shipping notification yet, but my credit card was just charged for the WALL-E that I ordered several weeks ago, when they were listed as out of stock until February 2016. So I'm guessing that US customers who have them on back order should be seeing them show up in the next week or two.

I emailed and got a reply back within 24 hrs.

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry that there's an issue with your new Wall-E set. I've gone ahead and sent you out the 4 replacement parts that are needed to fix the neck functionality issue. Once again I'm incredibly sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused you and if you have any other questions or concerns please let me know.

Followed by this... (even though it only mentions TWO parts not the four mentioned above).

Good news!

Your LEGO® pieces are on their way and will be there in the next 7-10 working days. If your parts haven’t arrived in this time, check LEGO.com/service for updates.

These are the LEGO parts we’ve packed for you:

How many? 2

Part number 4265484

Technical name BRICK 1X2 W/STUB VERTICAL END

Hmmm...

That's quite interesting. Please update us when you get the parts.

They did a couple a years ago when there were problems with linear actuators in the Technics 8043 excavator. There is a precedence. You do have to contact Customer Service and they sent replacement parts.

What happens to recalled sets? do they repack them? or is it less labor intensive to just destroy them and pack new sets?

I will sleep much easier if I can stop imagining wall-e's being eaten up by a shredder.

I have just completed Wall-e. I've done Chris McVeigh's neck mod. It does a pretty good job of correcting the floppy head problem.

Here's the link to his website:

http://chrismcveigh.com/lego_mod_guides_2015/wall-e_head_mount.pdf

I've also powered it up per the PPung video...sort of....I used a lot of different pieces than he did.

Here's some tips/difficulties that I ran into:

1. The motor mounting is tricky at best. The motors have to mounted upside down so that the track moves smoothly around the round shape of the top of the motor. If you mount it right side up, the sharp corners of the stud holders (what do you call the bottom of a brick?) will catch on the track. This leads to a weakness that I fixed as best I could since you can only use one Technics pin to hold it to the 9L LBG Lift arm that holds the gears. This is the ONLY mounting point since there are no studs on the motors and they are upside down. If you look stop the video at 00:13 you will see the right motor already starting to drop from a lack of clutch power. The best fix that I have currently have is to use a 2x12 plate across both motors for the most clutching power.

2. Yes the treads slip pretty easy. I increased the tread by sticking a bunch of 1x1 round plates to the treads. Think studded snow tires.

3. I don't know how PPung did his neck connection but I had to move that joint up one entire brick so that the battery box could fit inside. It will not fit otherwise. Cant tell the difference with the head/neck positioning.

4. Working on a Lego built boot to pot the plant. It's a little big but looks pretty good. At least it does on LDD!

5. For me, the lowest hinge joint is still too loose. No fix for that yet.

6. I called Lego CS and they are sending me the "kit" to fix the neck. Will report if that does anything that I haven't already done.

7. Going to try to get an S-brick in it before the weekend of 14-15 Nov when I'll take it to a small show.

Not going to promise any pictures as my digital camera just died. Might have to resort to some iphone snaps.

I asked TLG for the pieces to their solution of the neck problem and this is what I got:

22457354399_69080c2554_z.jpg20151107_094108 by Lucien70001, on Flickr

WTH?!? I've done the McVeigh mod, so I'm not bothered by this, but I find it interesting that they think the problem lies in the base of the neck.

I had the weak neck problem on my Wall-E and these parts fixed that problem. It still has the spinning-head problem though. I was going to get the McVeigh mod but when I heard that LEGO had retired the model to redesign this part I decided to hold off and wait to see what they come up with.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

@Dan-147 Your saying the click bricks at the base of yours were weak? I just assumed when the head spun around on mine, the weight caused the whole assembly to fall down. I might have to check the clutch between the ones that came with and what TLG sent me.

Changing the click bricks made a big difference. Before, every time the head would swing to the rear, the whole neck assembly would smash against the back of the body. So much so that when I replaced the click bricks I noticed that several of the bricks in the back of the body had cracked. I called LEGO about it and they sent me replacements for all the cracked pieces. Great service!

Dan-147