just2good

LEGO Ideas WALL-E

As I'm based in Europe they didn't postpone the release of the set and yesterday I received my Wall-E set , I did not build it yet.

Does this indicate that in Europe the parts are different than the USA version? Why is only the NA release been delayed?

Here is my solution to fix the neck problem:

80b460de-ca49-47c3-8035-dc408bee14e4.jpg

I have not tested with the complete model (only with few parts to test the friction) but i see no reason it doesn't work.

The advantage is you don't have to rebuild the head.

Edit: if anyone can try this and confirm that it works... ;)

Edited by binuche

Hi Phon (I'm willp2003). :classic:

binuche - that was the first thing I tried and the technic pin comes out too easily when you start moving the head round. The technic beam will push down on the socket and start to lever itself out. It works to a certain extent, but it's not solid.

You can use the crank piece above and just use a technic axle to connect into the ball, but it's only held on by half a length, so Phon's method is more secure.

This is my method (until I get the pieces and update it to Phon's.)

82142183-8429-4CA8-B0B7-D011475DD0D8_zpsomlwd3qw.jpg

94EA8295-83C6-476F-84F6-62F5001FC04E_zpsskoparwe.jpg

Edited by will

OK... maybe that's why nobody propose this solution yet.... :P

I suppose a mixel eyeball does not solves the problem either...

Vodnik, I know about this entry but it's not indicating the set contains different parts. So I'm still wondering why the NA item would be different than the rest of the world.

Wouldn't they use the same parts for the complete production?

Is the NA set produced somewhere else?

Are far as I know the factory in Mexico had issues with the mould for neck joint that simply didn't hold the wait of the head. These parts are being re-made or sent out to customers. The European factory was unaffected by this. None of this changes the the fact that the head spins round too easily, and as far as I can tell, Lego has no intent on re-designing it, so you're better off doing it yourself.

Edited by will

Are far as I know the factory in Mexico had issues with the mould for neck joint that simply didn't hold the wait of the head.

Thanks!..

Probably will build it over the weekend and see how it's going to hold.

Great model but I'm surprised by the lack of the black and white striped arm details that are part of every other WALL-E toy I've ever seen. How could these be missed? I want to add these, but had no luck searching all the printed tiles and sticker sheets on Bricklink. Anyone got any other ideas?

I don't mind at all. I did do one modification to it. I replaced the 1x3 and 1x2 technic plates with a single 1x3 technic crank piece. It is a bit more secure, and now there is not a pin contacting the ball joint, so it fights tighter.

Thanks to willp2003 on NeoGAF for having the idea for using that piece instead.

Thank you very much! I've published the graphic here: LEGO Wall-E 21303 Loose Neck/Head Adjustment - Credit Phonciplebone

I've ordered parts to complete your MOD and Chris McVeighs MOD, which are both excellent: http://chrismcveigh.com/lego_mod_guides_2015/wall-e_head_mount.pdf

Can't wait to build my Wall-E and make this MOD. :)

I was playing around with Stephan's LXF file and discovered a little mod that I think really improves the look of his eyes. If you remove the 1x1 plate and turn the 1x1 brick ninety degrees, the 3x3 dish can be attached closer to the head. This change also moves the eyes slightly closer together which fixes another issue I had with the original.

20606061574_8732bf4acb_c.jpg

21040645270_8a7911f29f_c.jpg

Just got the Wall-E set and I must admit that I am very eager to start building it. The box look amazing, much better quality than my regular Technic sets.

Just arrived, i can not wait to mount... :blush:

I was playing around with Stephan's LXF file and discovered a little mod that I think really improves the look of his eyes. If you remove the 1x1 plate and turn the 1x1 brick ninety degrees, the 3x3 dish can be attached closer to the head. This change also moves the eyes slightly closer together which fixes another issue I had with the original.

20606061574_8732bf4acb_c.jpg

21040645270_8a7911f29f_c.jpg

Interesting, i'll try soon, thank you.

So I just built this set and I have only one word to described it: awesome !! It is soooooo cute, and you get a lot for your money.

My quick and easy fix to the head and neck issue. The main neck is still a bit wobbly, but the head is now much more posable.

yzOV9Oxl.jpg

The tension in the ball joints allows the head to pose at nearly any angle now and stay stable, and even allows a slight tilt that you couldn't do before.

Thanks for this (and the technic crank part update)! It makes for a quick and easy fix for an otherwise fantastic model.

Edited by SpaceMonkey

Has anyone succesfully copied the motorising seen in the PPUNG DADDY-video?

I've got alle the parts and power functions that are needed and gave it a try but I can not see where the additional parts have to be placed (except for the technic axels) and how the IR Receiver fits so that the neck remains stable.

This little guy is just fantastic. He is such a blast to play around with. Best of all, minifigs are appropriately sized to be action figures for him. He is definitely up there in my top 5, right next to his new best friend, 10225 R2-D2.

I still can't seem to find him, although I have found the Mega Bloks minion who is going to be his friend when he arrives