just2good

LEGO Ideas WALL-E

Wow.... there are now 3 different quality issues reported now

What a mess :sceptic:

Edited by Robert8

Wow.... there are now 3 different quality issues reported now

What a mess :sceptic:

What are the three quality issues you are referring to? I'm only aware of the perceived head stability/lack of clutch power issue.

What are the three quality issues you are referring to? I'm only aware of the perceived head stability/lack of clutch power issue.

According to thebrickblogger, there have been reports of 3 issues so far:

There are actually three problems; two with the neck, and the fact that the treads don’t work on smooth surfaces – although I doubt that will be fixed. The neck is really the major issue. If you watch the review by the BrickShow, you will see how ridiculous it is.

My quick and easy fix to the head and neck issue. The main neck is still a bit wobbly, but the head is now much more posable.

4IssUXLl.jpg

Parts on left are to be removed. Parts on right are what is needed.

Hq6lMDTl.jpg

Remove the top half of the neck. Remove the 2x2 hinge joint piece and replace with the female ball joint piece.

ccPSd6Al.jpg

Use two 2x1 SNOT plates on the side, then reattach the jumper plates and 1x4 tile on top.

7WtQxC3l.jpg

On the bottom of the head piece, remove the bottom 1x2 brick with two holes along with the 1x3 technic bricks.

Remove the 1x3 dark grey technic brick through the middle section that normally attached to the neck hinge.

Replace the 1x3 brick with a 1x3 technic plate, using the 2x red technic axle to hold the plate in place, and a technic pin/axle piece to connect to the top part of the head.

QuV6cw0l.jpg

Where the 1x2 brick with 2 holes was before, replace it with an angled male ball joint piece, using two 1x3 technic axles threaded through it.

I3eT26Gl.jpg

MxBHb63l.jpg

Push the three pieces together, then push down onto the bottom just like the head was assembled before.

There is an ever so tiny gap now as the axle contacts the ball joint. Using a red 2x axle to connect it with a cap on top might help instead.

oMUjikml.jpg

Connect the male and female ball joints.

SCcRGyxl.jpg

Then connect the neck back at the same attach point as before.

s22c4o7l.jpg

yzOV9Oxl.jpg

XzPqrSel.jpg

The tension in the ball joints allows the head to pose at nearly any angle now and stay stable, and even allows a slight tilt that you couldn't do before.

Edited by phonciplebone

According to thebrickblogger, there have been reports of 3 issues so far:

The hard plastic treads that Lego uses are always going to be a problem on a slippery surface. The power function mod might help with traction though, adding extra weight and lowering WALL-E's centre of gravity. At least that will be my excuse ; )

My quick and easy fix to the head and neck issue.

The tension in the ball joints allows the head to pose at nearly any angle now and stay stable, and even allows a slight tilt that you couldn't do before.

Nice mod and thanks for the tutorial! It will be interesting to see if TLG come up with a similar solution, if they officially admit it's a problem at all.

The more I look at that video, the more I wanna mod it. So I might when if I get the set. I don't know a thing about Power Functions, does it require some extra plugging in or something? :tongue: Are there better instructions for the MOD? Video doesn't show much.

Edited by CM4Sci

The more I look at that video, the more I wanna mod it. So I might when if I get the set. I don't know a thing about Power Functions, does it require some extra plugging in or something? :tongue: Are there better instructions for the MOD? Video doesn't show much.

I haven't used Power Functions either but it looks pretty straight forward to me in the video. It shows the parts needed and where they go. The main problem is the cost. I priced the two M motors, IR receiver, remote control and battery box and it came to ~$108 Australian dollars (WALL-E is $70 AUD)...ouch! I still think it's worth it though : )

There might actually be four issues if other sets are like mine. The printed tiles are all scratched but the damage was done before the graphics were printed.

20313248434_7fc843b5aa_c.jpg

20943234041_d52917bcbb_c.jpg

There might actually be four issues if other sets are like mine. The printed tiles are all scratched but the damage was done before the graphics were printed.

Ask TLG support for replacement. They will send you new tiles. I asked for replacement parts for scratched windows and windshields a couple of times, also for licensed sets (I had to provide them with the part number of the instructions booklet for those, as a proof that I actually have the set) and received the new perfect ones.

Lego will replace that no problem. I'm pretty sure WALL-E had a lot more scratches than that though ; )

From Kim:

We’ve found that two pieces in the neck don’t have the right amount of clutch power. This is causing WALL·E’s head to fall down instead of staying where it should. The above issue is exclusive to the NA version – the one with piece count on the box. The issue is not related to the pin-beam connection. We are in the process of repacking the NA boxes with fully functional elements, hence the delay in delivery to the NA markets. If you experience the issue or have any other quality concerns with this or other LEGO sets, we encourage you to call Consumer Service and report it.

Kim Ellekjær Thomsen

Associate Community Manager

CEE Community Support

'Is lego going to issue a version 2 wall e or i just buy it right now? I'm sure there will be no problem to fix the stability problem by the lego community. And the spare parts arent difficult to be found.

p.s i live in south asia.

So who else plans to do this relatively easy mod?

So awesome : )

1:01 Is that the problem of the head joint? Not sturdy enough?

Edited by CopMike

1:01 Is that the problem of the head joint? Not sturdy enough?

Well spotted. To be fair I don't think TLG designed it for motorized function though. The movement, particularly on that surface, is quite jerky.

As I was building it, I replaced the socket joint that came with the set with a black one that had better tension than the dark grey that was in the box. But the problem with the head still remained. The big problem is gravity. All the weight of the head is towards the front, and it needs something other then a lone technic pin to be held in any kind of position.

I might try and just use one of the really old black technic pins from the 80s where they had really, really strong grip.

I just don't get why LEGO doesn't notice or care about this problem. The quality issue they're recalling it for is not the head rotation, but it's glaringly obvious, and should have been fixed before it was finalized.

I just don't get why LEGO doesn't notice or care about this problem. The quality issue they're recalling it for is not the head rotation, but it's glaringly obvious, and should have been fixed before it was finalized.

It is a very glaring issue that I am shocked they didn't notice.

Not the first time they've had an error in an Ideas set. Remember the spelling goof from the BTTF product?

That was a printing error, it really didn't affect the set at all.

There has been so much said that I have become somewhat confounded.

Is the issue a design flaw or a piece flaw?

Or is it a design flaw that LEGO has decided to brand as a piece flaw so they don't have to print new instructions and everything?

Preferably I would like someone with solid info to answer this, if there is solid info, and not get a bunch of replies of people's personal opinions.

Thanks.

There has been so much said that I have become somewhat confounded.

Is the issue a design flaw or a piece flaw?

Or is it a design flaw that LEGO has decided to brand as a piece flaw so they don't have to print new instructions and everything?

Preferably I would like someone with solid info to answer this, if there is solid info, and not get a bunch of replies of people's personal opinions.

Thanks.

If you read my post a couple of steps above with that comes from LEGO you might have your answer/a part of what you ask?!
We’ve found that two pieces in the neck don’t have the right amount of clutch power. This is causing WALL·E’s head to fall down instead of staying where it should. The above issue is exclusive to the NA version – the one with piece count on the box. The issue is not related to the pin-beam connection. We are in the process of repacking the NA boxes with fully functional elements, hence the delay in delivery to the NA markets. If you experience the issue or have any other quality concerns with this or other LEGO sets, we encourage you to call Consumer Service and report it.

Kim Ellekjær Thomsen

Associate Community Manager

CEE Community Support

thanks for reposting what kim said. checked and mine doesnt have the piece count [being bought in new zealand i expected that to be the case] so when i get some time i will get started on the build. wanted to wait and see what the deal with the recall was

My quick and easy fix to the head and neck issue. The main neck is still a bit wobbly, but the head is now much more posable.

This is a very clever and elegant solution. Do you mind if I group your photos into a 1 page graphic and share with others? I wanted to direct message you but I can't work out how. Thanks.

This is a very clever and elegant solution. Do you mind if I group your photos into a 1 page graphic and share with others? I wanted to direct message you but I can't work out how. Thanks.

I don't mind at all. I did do one modification to it. I replaced the 1x3 and 1x2 technic plates with a single 1x3 technic crank piece. It is a bit more secure, and now there is not a pin contacting the ball joint, so it fights tighter.

Thanks to willp2003 on NeoGAF for having the idea for using that piece instead.

1gqhTOFl.jpg

mTvYkTsl.jpg