CM4Sci

LEGO Ideas Doctor Who

I think we have no problems with the vilains. But i have one question, do the ideas set use stickers or printed pieces?

I think we have no problems with the vilains. But i have one question, do the ideas set use stickers or printed pieces?

We don't know yet what they'll do for this one, but so far most CUUSOO / Ideas sets use printed elements rather than stickers. In fact, I think only the first two use stickers, and all the licensed ones (as well as some non-licensed ones) use printed bricks.

First off, I know nothing about Doctor Who besides the fact that there's a few doctors that fly in a phone booth. Or something.

My question is, doesn't one of the doctors wear a fez? What do you think the chances are that we could get a proper fez piece? I love Indiana Jones, but the fezzes on the Grail Guardians are deplorable. If there was a new fez piece, would there be any weird gimmicks to it that would prohibit it from use anywhere besides Doctor Who? Sort of like the DC Gorilla Grodd character. he was almost perfect for some Planet of The Apes MOCs, but then he had weird head printing.

I digress.

Fez, no fez? Generic fez, or specific fez?

EDIT: all this assuming we get new molds at all.

Edited by Actor Builder

I think they might have the fez on a hat rack in the background as an easter egg, probably the same the mould as the indiana jones ones. However, it is just one joke that is kinda unimportant

I believe that mold usage, like the baldric, is controlled by Disney. It has to do with copyrighted character design and/or movie props.

First off, I know nothing about Doctor Who besides the fact that there's a few doctors that fly in a phone booth. Or something.

My question is, doesn't one of the doctors wear a fez? What do you think the chances are that we could get a proper fez piece? I love Indiana Jones, but the fezzes on the Grail Guardians are deplorable. If there was a new fez piece, would there be any weird gimmicks to it that would prohibit it from use anywhere besides Doctor Who? Sort of like the DC Gorilla Grodd character. he was almost perfect for some Planet of The Apes MOCs, but then he had weird head printing.

I digress.

Fez, no fez? Generic fez, or specific fez?

EDIT: all this assuming we get new molds at all.

Aww, I like the Indy fez. It was certainly extremely well-received by lots of LEGO fans when it came out in 2009.

The only real issue with it is that it keeps one from using a hairpiece, and since it sits so high on the head it can make minifigures look bald, but I always thought this could be addressed with hair printed on the head. I agree it wouldn't work for the Doctor you're thinking of, though. It would probably be best addressed with a new element combining hair and hat in one piece, like a number of other elements in the last few years. I could see it happening if there does eventually come to be a Doctor Who theme, especially if it includes a Minifigures line, but there's really no telling.

^ I guess the fez always just looked a little weird to me. It made my Minifigures look coneheaded.

If it didn't just sit on top of their heads it would have been fine, but I feel it never really looked like the Figs are wearing it. It's just a red expansion of their head :grin:

I guess I would have preferred them to be shorter and wider, and possibly eve have a molded tassel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad to have the Grail Guardians at all, but if there's a new fez option, I'd be all over that.

If Doctor Who becomes a full theme, I would be sad if LEGO decided against a new fez.

The hat/hair combo could be cool, if the hair was darkish. Does that Doctor Who character have dark hair? It would be really annoying if they made a great fez with tan hair or something.

Sorry if this fez discussion doesn't belong here, I didn't know where else to bring it up.

Well, the fez wasn't really a huge part of it, in terms of screen time; the Doctor wears it quite briefly. However, it's just one of those things that people picked up on, and has become one of the Doctor's more popular looks among the fans. It could really therefore go either way (i.e., LEGO might or might not incorporate it into a set or sets). It's not like, say, Indiana Jones's fedora or Darth Vader's helmet, where a piece of headgear is utterly essential to properly depicting a character. They could do a full-blown, very satisfying theme around Doctor Who that included all the most important stuff without ever including a fez anywhere. But that said, it would indeed be a nice additional detail to have in the line, and it actually is the kind of nice detail that they do like to put in sets, so... there's really no telling.

The Doctor in question (Matt Smith, 11th Doctor) does have dark hair so if they were to make a hairpiece with a fez, it would most certainly be black hair. Considering how well known Matt's fez is, I'm sure they'd incorporate it somewhere, especially if they make a set based on a scene from one of the episodes with the fez (The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol or Day of the Doctor, the last one is most likely to get one if at all).

The Doctor in question (Matt Smith, 11th Doctor) does have dark hair so if they were to make a hairpiece with a fez, it would most certainly be black hair. Considering how well known Matt's fez is, I'm sure they'd incorporate it somewhere, especially if they make a set based on a scene from one of the episodes with the fez (The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol or Day of the Doctor, the last one is most likely to get one if at all).

I am really hoping to get the war doctor. Day of the Doctor was a great episode and would love a set based on it.

Speaking of accessories if Lego were to do the fourth Doctor how will the scarf be handled, my only guess is printing as no new moulds are being made.

Speaking of accessories if Lego were to do the fourth Doctor how will the scarf be handled, my only guess is printing as no new moulds are being made.

My guess would be printed on the torso as well.

A Town of Christmas set from 11's regeneration into 12 would be a great set! I can imagine a winter village type set with an older 11, some townspeople, Daleks, and a wooden Cyberman. I'd love that! And it has a good chance as it is more recent.

My guess would be printed on the torso as well.

The original Ideas project actually does have a good suggestion for how the 4th Doctor's scarf could be effectively done using an existing fabric element, actually.

If this is JUST Capaldi I'd skip it. I just do not care for the latest seasons (including the later ones of the 11th...).

Also, I know Character Building isn't as high quality but after having their Daleks be proper figures I'd be disappointed if we got ugly brick built Daleks from Lego. The best brick built ones I've seen are still pretty bad honestly... I basically DEMAND proper figures for them lol.

The original Ideas project actually does have a good suggestion for how the 4th Doctor's scarf could be effectively done using an existing fabric element, actually.

Is crap, printed is far superior.

If this is JUST Capaldi I'd skip it. I just do not care for the latest seasons (including the later ones of the 11th...).

Also, I know Character Building isn't as high quality but after having their Daleks be proper figures I'd be disappointed if we got ugly brick built Daleks from Lego. The best brick built ones I've seen are still pretty bad honestly... I basically DEMAND proper figures for them lol.

In that case your money is probably better spent in the action figure aisle.

Is crap, printed is far superior.

That proposed piece is printed. What, did you think he was suggesting LEGO ask us to put a sticker on a small piece of folded cloth? :p

That proposed piece is printed. What, did you think he was suggesting LEGO ask us to put a sticker on a small piece of folded cloth? :p

Is crap, printed torso is far superior.

Is crap, printed torso is far superior.

The cloth part is better, because it allows to have the scarf and the back of the coat. Honestly, I think it's a very clever idea.

That new hairpiece could have been used for Bill Murray in Ghostbusters. Just saying. That Palpatine hair is getting annoying.

That hairpiece didn't exist when the Ectomobile was released, and would not have been created solely for the set. We don't even know with absolute certainty yet whether it'll be created for this one; it could exist merely for illustration purposes, though my hope is that they're doing it for real (and doing so because this won't be just one set, but a whole line).

I realize we're all speculating, but after careful review of this topic, I have to say, you need to be careful between the lines of practical and "dream on". As a one-off set (most likely), they're probably just going to do two super popular doctors and the master if they can't properly secure the rights to the Daleks from Terry Nation estate. Though my friends nicknamed me "wet blanket" and often remark I'm no fun at parties, so don't let my detrimental attitude ruin this lively discussion. ;)

I think doctor who is a fine fit for LEGO DIMENTIONS, they might sort the rights out for that, cause that game will propably need more proeprties than WB has on their own.