CM4Sci

LEGO Ideas Doctor Who

Oh, so what does that mean for the original Ideas designer......does that person still get cash for his idea or not ? :look:

I'm confident AndrewClark2 will still get paid and all that, no matter what else happens. If it becomes a whole theme à la Minecraft, he won't get anything for the additional sets, but he will get a royalty on sales of the initial set based on his proposal (plus credit in the instructions, plus five free copies of the set for himself).

Who says we wouldn't get both?

Indeed, the original proposal was for a set with ideally a couple different incarnations of the Doctor - one "new" (the creator suggested either Capaldi or Tennant specifically) and one "classic" (with the specific suggestion of Tom Baker). I think that's what will happen, for two reasons. First, the Ideas team does try to make sure a final Ideas set does match the core concept of the project people voted for, even if the specific details of the build are different; that means they try to keep the general description and the key features the same. Second, this is just one of two very similar Doctor Who projects that made it into the same review batch. They chose this one over the other one despite the fact the other one got 10000 votes faster, which must mean there's something about this specific project that they're going with, and one of the key distinctions of this particular project is minifigures for multiple Doctor incarnations and companions. I mean, I don't want to count on it and then be disappointed when any LEGO Doctor Who set would be cool, but I do think this (first?) set will come with a couple Doctors - most likely 4 and 12 - plus one or more appropriate companions for each.

If anyone didn't get to see the video because you had to have a login, here you go:

She also works as a companion for multiple Doctors, both classic and new (just at different ages herself).

The video being released today of all days is no accident. I wouldn't be surprised if Lego are starting with the revival this year to honor the anniversary of the 10 years since doctor who returned. I reckon capaldi judging by that video will be the subject of the first set as it has both his theme, vortex and face in that video. I reckon though it may be more than just an ideas set, notice in that teaser the ideas logo is strangely absent, yet the BBC and Lego logos are ever present. I wouldn't be surprised if this is in fact a launcher for a long line of multiple sets starting this year. Its a very opportune time with the show currently heading into it's 9th series of the revival period and celebrating Ten years of success since the show returned whilst also now 2 years after its 50th anniversary. Other than 2013, interest in the show has never been higher.

The video being released today of all days is no accident.

Um, you DO know the video was actually found on monday, right?

Um, you DO know the video was actually found on monday, right?

My mistake. I thought it was a more recent development.

Even further back - that video was originally posted in the beginning of February.

Also, Blondie-Wan, you have a very good point that we could find clues about the set based on features in the winning proposal that aren't in the other one. Another important distinction: the submission that passed has a TARDIS that unfolds to become a backdrop for the interior.

Even further back - that video was originally posted in the beginning of February.

Also, Blondie-Wan, you have a very good point that we could find clues about the set based on features in the winning proposal that aren't in the other one. Another important distinction: the submission that passed has a TARDIS that unfolds to become a backdrop for the interior.

Yes. It's actually a really nice build, and one has to watch the video on the project page to fully appreciate just how well-done it is, and I suspect that excellent design is why LEGO chose it over the other Doctor Who project by GlenBricker and Kaminoan. That's not to say their project is at all bad - quite the opposite, but AndrewClark2 really knocked it out of the park with his version.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

The fold out may be great, but shouldnt we get something bigger? This had two separate projects and this show has an incredible legacy, so honestly, Im expecting a larger set.

I'm hoping for sets, eventually.

Yes, sets and who knows......a guest staring role in the Lego Movie 2 or a TT game......ah, ones mind can wonder eh ? :laugh:

Lego seem very serious about this so there is a great hope that the level of awesome will be reached. :grin:

Yes, sets and who knows......a guest staring role in the Lego Movie 2 or a TT game......ah, ones mind can wonder eh ? :laugh:

Yes please :wub_drool: l really hope for DW to become a full-fledged theme like Minecraft :wub: There's so much potential here, so hopefully it won't be wasted :thumbup:

Yes please :wub_drool: l really hope for DW to become a full-fledged theme like Minecraft :wub: There's so much potential here, so hopefully it won't be wasted :thumbup:

And soon the dream DW sets will be suggested by the many.......perhaps some will want a UCS Delak ? :wink:

Okay, here's a total pipe dream fantasy of what I'd like to see:

LEGO Ideas Set #12 - LEGO Doctor Who: The TARDIS - A TARDIS model, as seen in the proposal, with both a folding exterior and a separately attachable interior (console, etc.), with Creator- / The LEGO Movie-like "2 in 1" functionality: additional parts and instructions to build the interior as either the 12th Doctor's TARDIS or the 4th's. Includes minifigures of the Doctor (4th and 12th incarnations, of course), plus appropriate companions: young Sarah Jane Smith and Clara Oswald, plus brick-built K9; also a couple brick-built Daleks and one or two Cyberman minifigures.

LEGO Doctor Who: Bessie - The 3rd Doctor's Earthly vintage motorcar. Includes the 3rd Doctor and the Brigadier.

LEGO Doctor Who: Journey's End - A large flagship set, featuring a full interior for the 9th / 10th Doctor's TARDIS, plus a facade of the exterior front, and a portion of Dalek vessel. Includes two versions of the 10th Doctor (one in brown suit, one in blue), Rose Tyler, Jackie Tyler, Mickey Smith, Captain Jack Harkness, older Sarah Jane Smith, Martha Jones, Donna Noble, Davros and three Daleks.

LEGO Minifigures: Doctor Who Series 1 - Sixteen individually blind-bagged minifigures, including all the remaining incarnations of the Doctor himself (1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, War, 9, and 11), plus Susan Foreman, Ace McShane, Amy Pond, Rory Williams, Madame Vastra, Jenny Flint, and Strax.

That should be a good start... :D

Edited by Blondie-Wan

LEGO Ideas Set #12 - LEGO Doctor Who: The TARDIS - A TARDIS model, as seen in the proposal, with both a folding exterior and a separately attachable interior (console, etc.), with Creator- / The LEGO Movie-like "2 in 1" functionality: additional parts and instructions to build the interior as either the 12th Doctor's TARDIS or the 4th's. Includes minifigures of the Doctor (4th and 12th incarnations, of course), plus appropriate companions: young Sarah Jane Smith and Clara Oswald, plus brick-built K9; also a couple brick-built Daleks and one or two Cyberman minifigures.

LEGO Doctor Who: Bessie - The 3rd Doctor's Earthly vintage motorcar. Includes the 3rd Doctor and the Brigadier.

LEGO Doctor Who: Journey's End - A large flagship set, featuring a full interior for the 9th / 10th Doctor's TARDIS, plus a facade of the exterior front, and a portion of Dalek vessel. Includes two versions of the 10th Doctor (one in brown suit, one in blue), Rose Tyler, Jackie Tyler, Mickey Smith, Captain Jack Harkness, older Sarah Jane Smith, Martha Jones, Donna Noble, Davros and three Daleks.

LEGO Minifigures: Doctor Who Series 1 - Sixteen individually blind-bagged minifigures, including all the remaining incarnations of the Doctor himself (1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, War, 9, and 11), plus Susan Foreman, Ace McShane, Amy Pond, Rory Williams, Madame Vastra, Jenny Flint, and Strax.

This all sounds great, but we shouldn't get our hopes up.

And lets not forget the Master! If there was a minifigure series any Incarnation of the Master would be good.

This all sounds great, but we shouldn't get our hopes up.

True, that. But I just can't help it.

I will be glad to get whatever we're getting, though.

Too true! A very good start, but you forgot about the 11th Doctor with Amy and Rory in various situations (except as part of a minifig collection). Matt Smith was born to be the Doctor, I miss his doctor more than all the others.

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Too true! A very good start, but you forgot about the 11th Doctor with Amy and Rory in various situations (except as part of a minifig collection). Matt Smith was born to be the Doctor, I miss his doctor more than all the others.

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

I didn't forget; I just thought I was being pretty unrealistically hopeful already and didn't want to throw in too many full-blown sets, although I had also wanted to put in a small Torchwood set. I figured the 11th Doctor would be pretty well represented by not only having him, Amy and Rory in the minifigures collection, but also Clara, Sarah Jane, Daleks, etc. in the other sets.

There's just so much stuff in this overall franchise I'd love to see. I mean, I hadn't even included River Song, and she's a hugely important and popular part of latter-day Doctor Who. But then, that's what the second wave sets and Series 2 minifigures would be for... ;) :D

I'm just as excited as you guys are, but think of the hassle with the rights. They probably didnt get all the rights to all of the characters and objects.