CM4Sci

LEGO Ideas Doctor Who

Yeah, I meant New York Comic Con. My bad. :grin:

Good, was almost worried it had been delayed. :sweet:

Usually the giveaway at NYCC is a tie-in to the reveal....wonder if we might get some kind of Doctor Who minifig, if that is indeed what they reveal? Not sure who would be most fitting, if it doesn't become a full theme 10 would make the most sense, if it does, probably 1 or 4.

I'm secretly hoping it's taking so long as they're going to announce a range of sets, but that probably won't be the case as the decision to make sets comes after the sole ideas set

Except that in this case, we already know there will be, at the very least, two LEGO Dimensions packs as well as the Ideas set; they've even been revealed before it was.

I strongly suspect the reason the announcement of the decision on whether to make a Doctor Who set was delayed is because they actually decided early that they wanted to do more than one set, and were working out a deal with the BBC and other parties for not just the Ideas set but the other stuff as well.

If that was the case, I wonder how long LEGO would keep the theme running. Even if it was popular enough to become an Evergreen theme, I'm not sure LEGO would allow a second Sci-fi theme to dethrone/compete with Star Wars. Major difference with Doctor Who and Star Wars, is that I could see Doctor Who being more location-based. With Star Wars obviously having heavy vehicle influence. In that way, I don't think the two would crash heads very much.

The thing Doctor Who has going for it is that it's a TV show, and one that's not especially likely to end anytime soon (or even at all). The most significant factor in how long a licensed theme runs (aside from basic sales success, of course) seems to be ongoing media support from the entertainment franchise that inspired it. Star Wars has lasted so long as a LEGO theme because it's massively popular, of course, but also surely because there's been a steady stream of new material - a new movie every three years from 1999 to 2008, ongoing television productions from then to 2013, more TV starting in 2014 and running into the foreseeable future, plus more movies every year beginning this year, and all of this accompanied by a steady stream of novels, comics, games, etc. Harry Potter had a slew of sets in its early years; these petered out for a while and the theme eventually took a 2 1/2 to 3-year break but eventually came back with a vengeance, and all while there were regular movies every year or two; it went on a more enduring hiatus when the film series did. The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings, taken together as sort of one big theme made up of two closely related smaller ones, seems to have petered out due to disappointing sales, but still got at least one fresh new wave for each year there was a new film (as well as two waves based on earlier movies). In contrast, Speed Racer, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and The Lone Ranger were all single-wave, "one and done" themes based on single movies that had no predecessors (and no sequels, it turned out). In further contrast to both of those groups, Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story and Indiana Jones were all themes in between - themes capitalizing on new installments of series whose previous installments were years ago, before LEGO got to them, and which had no further installments for years afterwards (though the fifth Pirates and fourth Toy Story are in the works now, and another Indiana Jones can be expected eventually). All of these were relatively short-lived (two years or less), being released in conjunction with single new movie installments, yet had more than the "one and done" themes since they still had multiple movies they could draw upon, and each had at least a couple waves and/or waves with just a lot of sets.

The most enduring lines are those that just have a steady, ongoing stream of material - the aforementioned Star Wars and Harry Potter (while the movies were running), plus SpongeBob Squarepants (which never got a huge number of sets all at once, but did have a fairly steady, sustained stream of releases that actually lasted quite a few years, until LEGO lost the license), and more recently, the Marvel and DC universes, which enjoy steady streams of sets based on a mixture of live-action movies and shows, animated series, and comics source material. As an ongoing TV series we can reasonably expect to run for years and years, Doctor Who, I suspect, can probably support a steady stream of LEGO releases for years - probably somewhere between what SpongeBob typically got and what Marvel and DC get now. It won't have as much stuff as Star Wars - nothing does except City - but it could very easily get a few sets each year for years to come, probably focused mostly on "new Who" but also including some "classic" material from time to time.

I'm secretly hoping it's taking so long as they're going to announce a range of sets, but that probably won't be the case as the decision to make sets comes after the sole ideas set

You're not alone in your hope. That would be so incredibly awesome. It seems like it could be a very real possibility, especially with the release of lego dimensions and the recent popularity of doctor who world-wide...

As an ongoing TV series we can reasonably expect to run for years and years, Doctor Who, I suspect, can probably support a steady stream of LEGO releases for years - probably somewhere between what SpongeBob typically got and what Marvel and DC get now. It won't have as much stuff as Star Wars - nothing does except City - but it could very easily get a few sets each year for years to come, probably focused mostly on "new Who" but also including some "classic" material from time to time.

Well put blondie-wan, though everything you have to say usually is ;) It would be awesome to get a range of doctors so young fans can pick their "favourites" from the new era (since the main demographic will logically be children) and fans can have 'em all!

The thing Doctor Who has going for it is that it's a TV show, and one that's not especially likely to end anytime soon (or even at all). The most significant factor in how long a licensed theme runs (aside from basic sales success, of course) seems to be ongoing media support from the entertainment franchise that inspired it. Star Wars has lasted so long as a LEGO theme because it's massively popular, of course, but also surely because there's been a steady stream of new material - a new movie every three years from 1999 to 2008, ongoing television productions from then to 2013, more TV starting in 2014 and running into the foreseeable future, plus more movies every year beginning this year, and all of this accompanied by a steady stream of novels, comics, games, etc. Harry Potter had a slew of sets in its early years; these petered out for a while and the theme eventually took a 2 1/2 to 3-year break but eventually came back with a vengeance, and all while there were regular movies every year or two; it went on a more enduring hiatus when the film series did. The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings, taken together as sort of one big theme made up of two closely related smaller ones, seems to have petered out due to disappointing sales, but still got at least one fresh new wave for each year there was a new film (as well as two waves based on earlier movies). In contrast, Speed Racer, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and The Lone Ranger were all single-wave, "one and done" themes based on single movies that had no predecessors (and no sequels, it turned out). In further contrast to both of those groups, Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story and Indiana Jones were all themes in between - themes capitalizing on new installments of series whose previous installments were years ago, before LEGO got to them, and which had no further installments for years afterwards (though the fifth Pirates and fourth Toy Story are in the works now, and another Indiana Jones can be expected eventually). All of these were relatively short-lived (two years or less), being released in conjunction with single new movie installments, yet had more than the "one and done" themes since they still had multiple movies they could draw upon, and each had at least a couple waves and/or waves with just a lot of sets.

The most enduring lines are those that just have a steady, ongoing stream of material - the aforementioned Star Wars and Harry Potter (while the movies were running), plus SpongeBob Squarepants (which never got a huge number of sets all at once, but did have a fairly steady, sustained stream of releases that actually lasted quite a few years, until LEGO lost the license), and more recently, the Marvel and DC universes, which enjoy steady streams of sets based on a mixture of live-action movies and shows, animated series, and comics source material. As an ongoing TV series we can reasonably expect to run for years and years, Doctor Who, I suspect, can probably support a steady stream of LEGO releases for years - probably somewhere between what SpongeBob typically got and what Marvel and DC get now. It won't have as much stuff as Star Wars - nothing does except City - but it could very easily get a few sets each year for years to come, probably focused mostly on "new Who" but also including some "classic" material from time to time.

This is a wall of text worth reading, forum skimmers! And very true, if Lego and auntie Beeb can negotiate a deal.

I'm guessing that if TLG decides to make Doctor Who a full theme, it'll be based off the sales for this set and possibly the ideas stuff. If they sell incredibly well like the initial Minecraft set, then it's pretty likely that we'll get some more doctor who sets within the next year or so. We'll see.

I have a feeling, call it a hunch that the set will be officially revealed this week, mostly because every day leading up to Saturday the Beeb are releasing content on their doctor who site, today it was promo images, tomorrow it might be the prequel "Doctor's Meditation", Thursday it might be something else and so on and so forth. Building up to the return of the good doctor and what would be a better time to make an announcement. There's lots of anticipation towards this series and towards the Lego, with dimensions new trailer announcement for their voice cast which showed off some Who stuff, and this is the week of the newest series launch. Either way I reckon whether it be NYCC or a singular announcement we'll have something during this month or the next. Whatever this set is they'll probably want to have it out before Christmas alongside the doctor who dimensions pack as Doctor Who is a Christmas tradition(at least over here)and sales on Doctor Who merch always spike around Christmas.

Well put blondie-wan, though everything you have to say usually is ;)

Hey, thanks! :blush:

This is a wall of text worth reading, forum skimmers!

Thank you, too! I know I need to edit myself more when I write, though. I'll try to be more concise...

I have a feeling, call it a hunch that the set will be officially revealed this week, mostly because every day leading up to Saturday the Beeb are releasing content on their doctor who site, today it was promo images, tomorrow it might be the prequel "Doctor's Meditation", Thursday it might be something else and so on and so forth.

This is my reasoning too, but as SCI said, usually Tuesdays are reveal days and there's been no reveal.... fingers crossed it's later this week, and will be pleasantly surprised if I get to wake up Saturday morning to the reveal.... of the set, I mean, but just as importantly of the series premiere!!

This is my reasoning too, but as SCI said, usually Tuesdays are reveal days and there's been no reveal.... fingers crossed it's later this week, and will be pleasantly surprised if I get to wake up Saturday morning to the reveal.... of the set, I mean, but just as importantly of the series premiere!!

I didn't say that??

Doctor Who..... The set LEGO forgot

Nobody's forgotten anything. We've had teasers for the upcoming set and will probably learn more about the final set (or sets, plural) and its release date before the year is up.

I didn't say that??

You didn't?! Then who did?!?

Doctor Who..... The set LEGO forgot

Noooooo! Please don't say that! :dsad2:

So I talked with an employee at the LEGO store today and apparently there's been no word about the press release date either, so I'm starting to lose faith it'll be this week. Probably will be around the time the series finale airs, or a week or two before its release.

The final set is in a prelimary catalog, so I doubt the wait will be any longer. I'm quite pleased with it.

The final set is in a prelimary catalog, so I doubt the wait will be any longer. I'm quite pleased with it.

What preliminary catalog have I missed something

Awesome do you fancy drawing it for us? :-p And is it just the ideas set that you can see?

What preliminary catalog have I missed something

If you read the last 10 pages or so of the Castle 2016 topic you will see that some people have access to a retailer preliminary catalog and are describing some of the new sets...

I guess this means we will definitely get before Christmas?

Just the Ideas, and drawing? Uhhhhh maybe, but it'll suck compared to Sci's. Any questions on it I can answer however.

Oh, yeah, no drawing. Not allowed to anymore. If I get the picture I'll try to describe it best I can.

Didn't think we got Ideas prelims though. Last time I saw them they looked completely similar to the final render.

Edited by CM4Sci