CM4Sci

LEGO Ideas Doctor Who

Oh just remembered to say: bummed the proposed "sound brick" gimmick didn't make it in. I guess I can use the obnoxious one from the alien conquest mothership and pretend it's the iconic sound design of the tardis........... Yeah, nope. :sceptic:

the daleks tho yeesh, they look manky cobbled together. here is one i've made. (of the 2010 daleks wich i much prefer.)

29kuq7p.png

I like this a lot. Beats both the official ones in my book but an easy mod from either (besides colour (when in england...) and eyestalk print).

...plastic sheet wings...

Make me sad, and I hope they do something classier when hawkgirl rolls around :sceptic:

I mean if it works for a weeping angel, generic angels and angel statues, and thanagarians, that's a lot of bang for the new part development buck.

And if it can get pushed through quick for the giant dimensions budget... Hawkman, Hawkgirl and Weeping Angels would all sell like hotcakes...

I also really like the use of this piece for the Daleks eyestalk:

6112751.jpg

That piece is my jam. I noticed it pretty late in the game when I was perusing the Friends selection, but before they showed it on the "toys" in the winter toy shop rerelease designer video.

Wish NewElementary would play around with that for a post...

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

Pros: almost everything. Love it.Cons: no opening doors, all sides have 1x3 tiles instead of 1x6, and most of all, the two Doctors each have printed legs instead of double molded! I'm very disappointed by that. Well at least Clara appears to be molded.

Hey, so if this has already been revealed, what're they gonna do for NYCC?

Probably Ghostbusters. Or it could be Nexo Knights or something completely different that we haven't heard about. But my money's on Ghostbusters.

Love this set, absolutely love it!

Hope we get a theme to get some more doctors and variants. Especially for 11's S7 suit with a bow tie. And the 10th Doctor. The set all around looks well made. The Character Building version of the TARDIS was neat in its own way, but I think LEGO's is the most practical. CB had studs all around the floor and it was very, very bland. That being said, I'd love to see what LEGO would do for 10's TARDIS and/or 11's first TARDIS. But that's just me being speculative.

The set itself looks phenomenal. I love what they did with it. I will definitely get to buying this. And then buying a few off of Bricklink. (I wouldn't care about figures and it seems everyone only cares about figures.) The thing about the TARDIS that I think LEGO got just right, is that the build itself is like a minifigure. You can't disagree with calling the TARDIS another character. I think that is what sells the set for me, I'm actually interested in the build which is rare, especially with Superheroes (my favorite theme). If this license gets a theme, I think this is the first theme I'd try to get all the sets, just because I'm a huge fan and there's so many things I would love in LEGO form.

Probably Ghostbusters. Or it could be Nexo Knights or something completely different that we haven't heard about. But my money's on Ghostbusters.

Don't wanna veer of topic, but I heard Angry Birds is getting more reveals there.

I love everything about this set (and I'm not even a hardcore fan), and the only slightly underwhelming aspect is the Weeping Angel wings, which I shouldn't complain about because Weeping Angel Minifigure. I hope that this and Dimensions are enough to launch a full-on Doctor Who theme. There's almost limitless material, and I want to see the 10th Doctor!

Edited by 8BrickMario

What's going on with the price? Official blog says 59,99 €. French catalog 54,99 €.

YES!

When hulk_smash mentioned both 11 and 12 would be included, I assumed it would be the regeneration scene, glad I was right!

Figures look great! Glad 12 isn't a repeat :sweet:

Double-sided angel face is EXCELLENT, wings are kind of bulky but I personally can live with that. The TARDIS looked like it does more than just unfold and have a removable roof--notice the printed pieces on top. Maybe those parts need to be removed from the sides in order to unfold? The console looks very good, I love those printed parts. Also, glad the new characters get new face prints. The daleks look ok, my gripe with them is that the dish on top would only look like a good representation of the lights if it were a new mold. I like the design of the arms of Dimensions dalek better, these seem "skeletal". But I prefer the base of these.

Edited by Jbricks

The printed tiles hinge up from the sides to allow the TARDIS to unfold. They're simply part of the transformation.

Ah, thank you. I didn't notice the "tilt" piece before, usually I have better eyes than that. (But I couldn't look at this set too long, I might blink!)

I like the set. Even though I'm not a Doctor Who fan I still might pick this up.

I'm glad Lego has finally perfected the skirt without resorting to clothe elements, the printing plus dual molding works wonderfully. Hopefully Lego can perfect the robe/trench coat printing next. This method is okay, but they should have at least printed on the sides of the legs, but I suppose they didn't due to not being able to print on the sides of the hip piece. Still I think there must be another method.

Can't believe it took 9 months to design that

Especially considering that is pretty much the submitted project

Would have been cool to see a Cyberman as well since they made a new mold for him in the Dimensions set

As a model, it's more accurate to the show, but I think my version is more accurate in comparison to the size of a minifig, plus the addition of a sort-of working door:

tardis5.jpg

You'll notice all of their shots with minifigs are from the back, not the front. There's a reason for that. 8x8 is a lot bigger than 6x6, and having minifigs in front of the T.A.R.D.I.S. would show that. :sceptic:

Granted, having it be more accurate to minifigs would be a trade-off to show accuracy, and show accuracy's more important, for a stand-alone display model...but 8x8 is a lot bigger than 6x6, for any sort of display diorama. :sceptic:

Re-looking at the set, it's a shame that the doors have no way of opening (or perhaps I'm just missing it)... It's kind of an integral part to the TARDIS, but I'm not sure how it could be pulled off without compromising the look.

Also, I wish there were more minfigures. 4 (six if you count the Daleks) is a bit disappointing given the high mini figure count in the Big Bang Theory set. I get that TBBT's minifig count wasn't standard, but a Cyberman, Zygon, Rose, Amy, Rory, or better, the tenth and ninth doctors would have been nice. I'm really, really hoping that this gets more sets in the theme, although as mentioned in this thread before, DW isn't really vehicle-based. I foresee some sort of thing like the Simpsons line, with a big set each year and a minifigure series (which would be stellar).

Does the 11th Doctor come with a sonic screwdriver? I'm hoping so, because he might need it a bit more than a fez.... even though they ARE cool!

If you need any more confirmation, even if there was a secret door opening feature, the white window decoration would get in the way. So, nope.

Does the 11th Doctor come with a sonic screwdriver? I'm hoping so, because he might need it a bit more than a fez.... even though they ARE cool!

Both Doctors are likely supposed to share the same sonic.

You'll notice all of their shots with minifigs are from the back, not the front. There's a reason for that. 8x8 is a lot bigger than 6x6, and having minifigs in front of the T.A.R.D.I.S. would show that. :sceptic:

Now that i look at it, your right, that things huge! especially since the majority of the height is door and thesedoors seem to be nearly twice the size of a minifig, not sure how this'll affect my desiring this set. going to have to wait for a review to see it better

Both Doctors are likely supposed to share the same sonic.

It's very possible that the set could come with an extra sonic screwdriver piece, sicnr it is a smaller one.

It's very possible that the set could come with an extra sonic screwdriver piece, sicnr it is a smaller one.

Didn't we originally get a leak from Taobao with a green screwdriver and a red one?

As a model, it's more accurate to the show, but I think my version is more accurate in comparison to the size of a minifig, plus the addition of a sort-of working door:

Granted, having it be more accurate to minifigs would be a trade-off to show accuracy, and show accuracy's more important, for a stand-alone display model...but 8x8 is a lot bigger than 6x6, for any sort of display diorama. :sceptic:

For the record, it's actually 7x7 :wink:

YEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!

Finally! Man, I need to get more money. To get the Doctor Who Level Pack and this is going to kill me. Or, get this set and skip the Level Pack, maybe...

The Daleks dont really bother me, I guess. Just those ugly yellow pieces on the midsection.

Where did Missy go? I NEED MISSY.

Phew - now I can stop checking this thread every day.

Stone Angel is accurate - it makes my hair stand on end in 'scary face' mode.

Sign me up (though after this wait I'd probably be happy with a 2x4 brick stood on its end with a couple of stickers slapped on it).