CM4Sci

LEGO Ideas Doctor Who

I really am reckoning it will be capaldi based to begin with if they are testing the waters with one before a fully fledged theme. The trailer features his vortex, logo, theme and face (well half of it), he's now entering his second series as The Doctor which the BBC would want to publicize. I would imagine it would be similar to the ideas project with Capaldi, Clara, A Dalek, A Cyberman and maybe another villain, the weeping angels seem unlikely right now as they haven't appeared since 2012, perhaps due to her involvement in Seasons 8 and 9: Missy as she is the latest incarnation of the doctor's nemesis. That would technically mean we'd have the big three, The latest doctor and his companion in one set. Then that would mean if it didn't prove as popular to make an entire wave, whovians would still have one definitive set to commemorate the popularity and endurance of Doctor Who in modern times. I personally can't wait to put the likes of capaldi, the daleks e.t.c alongside the avengers, the fellowship, darth vader e.t.c.

I didn't forget; I just thought I was being pretty unrealistically hopeful already and didn't want to throw in too many full-blown sets, although I had also wanted to put in a small Torchwood set. I figured the 11th Doctor would be pretty well represented by not only having him, Amy and Rory in the minifigures collection, but also Clara, Sarah Jane, Daleks, etc. in the other sets.

There's just so much stuff in this overall franchise I'd love to see. I mean, I hadn't even included River Song, and she's a hugely important and popular part of latter-day Doctor Who. But then, that's what the second wave sets and Series 2 minifigures would be for... ;) :D

As long as we're wishing... May as well wish big!

Darn, I forgot all about River! How could I forget about River?

I would really like to see a spin-off TV series featuring River... What a deep character.

Need River Song in the LEGO Doctor Who franchise.

Andy D

If it ever were successful enough to warrant multiple sets, I reckon it should get a set for every Doctor (except post-Meta-Crisis 10 cause that's just Tennant from Journey's End to The End of Time). I'm not very familiar with 1 or 2's episodes so I can't really suggest episodes of theirs to make sets out of but 3 could be Terror of the Autons, featuring a scene with 3 driving Bessie alongside the Brig while fighting Autons and the Master, 4 could be a scene from The Deadly Assassin with Borusa, Sarah Jane (even though she's not in the episode, she deserves a minifigure) and the decrepit Master, 5 I'm not really sure, maybe a bit from Earthshock with Cybermen and Adric, 6 could be a courtroom scene from Trial of a Time Lord with Mel and the Valeyard, 7 probably something from Remembrance of the Daleks with Ace (<3), Davros and Daleks, 8 I really dunno since he only appeared in the movies and I doubt Lego would make sets of the audiobooks, 9 could be something from Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways with Jack Harkness (<3), Rose and the Daleks, 10 could be the scene from Journey's End in the TARDIS (as suggested earlier), 11 could be a bit from The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang with Amy, Rory and River (<3 to all) and 12 could be a scene from Dark Water/Death in Heaven with Missy (<3), Clara and Cybermen. War could be featured in a special edition set with 10, 11, Clara and the Curator. I'd also love a set of the Torchwood hub with Jack, Gwen, Ianto, Owen, Tosh and Suzi but that's even less realistic than what I just suggested before, which is very unrealistic wishful thinking.

If anything I'd really like sets from the 50th because they could group a lot of the doctors in one set.

Given that the rights to the Daleks are owned by the estate of Terry Nation (who created them) and that there have been issues in the past with the BBC and the rights to the Daleks (e.g. the BBC was OK with the Dalek appearance in Looney Tunes: Back in Action but the Terry Nation estate was not) I suspect it may not be as simple as it looks for LEGO to put a Dalek in the Dr Who ideas set. (which is a pitty as I would LOVE to have one)

Given that the rights to the Daleks are owned by the estate of Terry Nation (who created them) and that there have been issues in the past with the BBC and the rights to the Daleks (e.g. the BBC was OK with the Dalek appearance in Looney Tunes: Back in Action but the Terry Nation estate was not) I suspect it may not be as simple as it looks for LEGO to put a Dalek in the Dr Who ideas set. (which is a pitty as I would LOVE to have one)

Well, thats odd, cause Character and underground toys make Daleks by the second in both action figure and minifigure form...thats construction sets too so I don't see where the issue would lie. Daleks are all-over BBC merchandise.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Daleks are usable anywhere in merchandise so long as they appear at least once every season, which was the deal (I believe) RTD and Moff cut with the Terry Nation Estate.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

This is brilliant, I've always wanted LEGO Doctor Who. I'm also intrigued to see how LEGO pull off a Dalek, Daleks have alot of detail, the light bulbs on their heads for example; minifigure-size Daleks often lack the two light bulbs so we'll see. Very exciting!

I'm just as excited as you guys are, but think of the hassle with the rights. They probably didnt get all the rights to all of the characters and objects.

Like character building had Id imagine of they have the liscence now they can produce any character - think of any other liscence they own - but have to work conjoined with the bbc and what they want from it and what they say can be included.

it is the 10th anniversary of the new series. bbc has made a bit of a deal out of it. The 4 new doctors.

The issue i'm worried with these ideas entries is that they are focusing too much on the prospect of the Doctor or his companion. Personally i will be interested to see how they make the villains, they are easily much more complex and interesting than the heroes. A lot of my desire to get the sets comes from the villains rather than the Doctor or companion.

Definitely desire the following if this becomes a theme;

- Sontaran

Could probably use the same design as the Lego Hockey Player, would need a new helmet but other than that it'd be perfect

- Cybermen

Just needs a moulded helmet. Iron Man helmet would probably do with a new face, already has a Cybus logo on it...

- Daleks

Would need to be an entirely new several piece mould, swivelling guns or head would be good with interchangable weapons being an added bonus. Making the lower half a seperate piece with Lego pieces would allow for a Davros figure

- Ice Warrior

Very recogniseable villian, just needs a moulded helmet.

- Sycorax

Not doing the Sycorax would be a massive waste, especially as its one of the best to go with Tennant. Only needs a new helmet mould

- Judoon

Same as the Sontarans, just needs a new helmet mould and the Hockey Player armour

All of those would be amazing army builders and definitely a massive shame if Lego didnt make these. Either way, look forward to seeing the monster and villains, hopefully we see them soon :3

And soon the dream DW sets will be suggested by the many.......perhaps some will want a UCS Delak ? :wink:

Personally i'd desire a nanofigure scale UCS Gallifrey. Words cannot contain the hype that set would make amongst the Doctor Who community more so than the Tardis or even the Daleks. Could also throw in Rassilon, Susan and the 1st Doctor

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Daleks are usable anywhere in merchandise so long as they appear at least once every season, which was the deal (I believe) RTD and Moff cut with the Terry Nation Estate.

Decided to delve into this as been hearing a lot about it and was under the same impression for a while. Basically their hasnt been any outward comments on whether they have to use the Daleks yearly but its believed to be part of either a contract they signed to have use of the Daleks or the BBC forcing them into the show every season because they have to pay-up a certain amount regardless of if they use them. Given the character designs Daleks, i doubt Lego would have much of an issue manufacturing figures of them.

Edited by Scarilian

I seriously doubt that this will be more than a one-off set.

Even if it does later turn into a theme, I can gaurantee you that there will NOT be ANY new molds in whatever the first set (the one matching the Ideas project) ends up being.

If it's a new mold, it's still a new mold, regardless of whether it was actually designed for the set or not.

That said, it's still possible the hairpiece in the teaser is just an illustration, and doesn't really reflect an actual part, though I'm thinking it does.

As to whether this set will launch a whole theme, I wouldn't confidently bet against it. If all the CUUSOO / Ideas sets to date had been revealed at the same time and we didn't already have a theme already released based on Minecraft that was already running before this set was announced, this set is the one I would have thought was most likely to spin off a theme (though there's an argument to be made for considering the first, second and fifth CUUSOO sets together as a sort of theme of their own). It's a popular, beloved franchise and cultural institution, with a huge amount of material to draw upon, and it's currently running and is expected to run for years to come.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

As to whether this set will launch a whole theme, I wouldn't confidently bet against it. If all the CUUSOO / Ideas sets to date had been revealed at the same time and we didn't already have a theme already released based on Minecraft that was already running before this set was announced, this set is the one I would have thought was most likely to spin off a theme. It's a popular, beloved franchise and cultural institution, with a huge amount of material to draw upon, and it's currently running and is expected to run for years to come.

Yeah this would be my thinking too although I am a bit surprised they went down the ideas rout to begin with they must not be 100% sure on it.

It might be that the new hairpiece was created for a set due to be released later in the year (the Star Wars Episode 7 sets seem most likely given that they are pretty much the only 2015 sets we dont have any real info on at this point) which means a new mold has been created and its cost "booked" to the relavent product team (or however LEGO does it with these things). But just because it was created for one product team doesn't necessarily mean other product designers can't use the part for their own products.

Take for example the base plate thing with the 1 row of studs used for the CMFs. This part exists in light bley in the Ecto-1, the AT-AT and several 2015 sets. It is almost certain that the decision to put the part into production was made by the Star Wars team designing the AT-AT and not the ideas team designing the Ecto-1. The same could have happened here where the hair in question was created for a different set and is therefore on the list of "in production": parts that the Ideas team can pick from and use.

It might be that the new hairpiece was created for a set due to be released later in the year (the Star Wars Episode 7 sets seem most likely given that they are pretty much the only 2015 sets we dont have any real info on at this point) which means a new mold has been created and its cost "booked" to the relavent product team (or however LEGO does it with these things). But just because it was created for one product team doesn't necessarily mean other product designers can't use the part for their own products.

Take for example the base plate thing with the 1 row of studs used for the CMFs. This part exists in light bley in the Ecto-1, the AT-AT and several 2015 sets. It is almost certain that the decision to put the part into production was made by the Star Wars team designing the AT-AT and not the ideas team designing the Ecto-1. The same could have happened here where the hair in question was created for a different set and is therefore on the list of "in production": parts that the Ideas team can pick from and use.

You have point, but they can recolor molds for Ideas sets, they've said it themselves.

I can gaurantee you that there will NOT be ANY new molds in whatever the first set (the one matching the Ideas project) ends up being.

We'll definitely get atleast one new mold for either the Cybermen or the Daleks... they are iconic Doctor Who villains and chances of them appearing in the first set are high.

Edited by Scarilian

IF this becomes a full theme (which I hope) I can only hope for one thing:

LEGO Doctor Who: The Video Game :cry_happy:

We'll definitely get atleast one new mold for either the Cybermen or the Daleks... they are iconic Doctor Who villains and chances of them appearing in the first set are high.

Nope, we wont, LEGO have said before that they will NOT make any new molds for an Ideas project due to the high cost. Minecraft got new molds long after it went from being an Ideas project to being a full-fledged license.

So the actual question is Which villains could they include without having to create new parts ?

I mostly think of Autons and Weeping Angels, but we can have Judoons too, with this armor and this headpiece. But Daleks and Cybermen are impossible to recreate with current parts. If the set is based on the eighth series, they can include Missy.

The original Ideas submission shows a Dalek that to me looks perfectly fine for LEGO to make...

Or is there something wrong with it that I am not seeing?

Lego's approach to the Daleks could be like the astro-mechs from SW......best to wait and see I guess what they release.

The original Ideas submission depicts clever, effective Dalek and Cyberman figures made entirely from existing elements (save for printing of course). It even uses an existing element with new printing to good effect for the Fourth Doctor's scarf.