CM4Sci

LEGO Ideas Doctor Who

Point 1; True, but if its a Lego Ideas (Unless its like Minecraft) then we'll get one set and then its done. That might change if they made a wave instead, but that still relies on whenever a new Doctor or companion appears that we'd get them in set form.

Point 2; True, i suppose its more a complaint against Idea's for licensed themes as a whole

Point 3; Several of those dont have the same iconic value anymore, sure Trotters Lane and Coal Hill were important in the original series, but in the revived series Trotters Lane has appeared once and Coal Hill Secondary school is just where Clara works for a while in series 8. While the Tardis option is possible, the Dalek Spaceship has been through atleast 3 different designs recently interior and exterior wise (all being fairly generic flying saucers)

Point 4; Several of those listed are new series only, thus is the issue. If we get new series stuff then everyone will expect every future villain to get a set, which isnt likely. Its more likely they'll just pick the more iconic that have appeared in both old and revived; The Master, Ice Warriors, Silurians, Cybermen, Cyber Controller, Davros, Zygons, Autons, Macra and Daleks

1: Then let's make it sell well! :tongue:

2: Yeah, I sorta agree. Ish.

3: Well, the superhero theme is mostly generic places, as is Star Wars (ish), and as for the Dalek ship being a generic Flying Saucer, so are most Licensed vehicles.

4: No one will expect every NuWho villian to get a set. And, knowing companies, they'll just do what sells well.

Well, I figured it was coming sooner or later.

Really thrilled about this- though hopefully it isn't based too heavily on the last series (which I found to be not so good).

If not for the picture in the article, I'd say we were most likely to get 10, but now it seems most likely that we'll end up with 12. I'm hoping we get a set based on the 50th Anniversery Special, with 10, 11, and the War Doctor, with the TARDIS and the "big red button" (Possibly with Rose and/or Clara, but I guess they aren't particularly necessary). Probably won't be what we get, but I can hope.

Such angry eyebrows. Thats a new hairpiece. in this artwork. hopefully it'll have that in the set. Might have been a BBC requirement, might mean that we get mroe than jsut an ideas set. might mean the hairpiece is in some other upcoming set of CMF to justify the cost considering ideas sets don't get new molds.

2rzuh4k.jpg

I've been thinking the same thing. That's an official image from LEGO and/or the BBC, so first of all it does strongly suggest we'll see Peter Capaldi's incarnation, at least. Moreover, it does seem to suggest we'll get a hitherto-unseen hair element, which will be a first for Ideas; perhaps LEGO has already decided to do a whole theme even before revealing the initial Ideas set, and so has committed to new elements for it, or maybe they already had this hair in the works for something else and decided it'd be the right one to use for this Doctor.

Or maybe it's just a "LEGO-y" rendering that uses a hairpiece that doesn't exist at all outside computers; it's not exactly unprecedented for digital LEGO material to incorporate "parts" that don't actually exist in plastic.

Pretty sure somebody said that was just fanart that BBC posted with the announcement. I don't think it says so much about the 'fig as much as the fact that Capaldi's most likely.

TBH it could go both ways depending on the size of the first set lego want to make. if its a smaller set say£20- £30 then i'd say it'll most likely be 12th Doctor, Clara, A gold Dalek, A series 7-8 cyberman and maybe missy so they can capitalise on the current series with the current variations of the three most iconic villains. £40-£50 maybe Some sort of interior/exterior combination like what is proposed with all 5 New series Doctors, Clara, Rose and a Dalek to Capitalise on Day Of The Doctor and series 8 as a whole. If they went REALLY big like £70-£120 then i'd say the interior of the tardis with all 13 doctors and some monsters. Depends really, i think the most likely is the £20-£30 range with capaldi and clara and three villains as 5 figures for £30 sounds about right looking at age of ultron sets, then again i'd love if they went like £40 and has the War Doctor-12th Doctor, Rose, Clara and a Dalek as sort of a tie in to recent who and the 50th. Just my two cents. Either way i think the figures are gonna look great, especially if that capaldi figure face is real BBC or lego rendering. On that front it says nowhere on the announcement that either image is fan art, it mentions the set idea as a fan concept but the eyes pictures have nothing saying they aren't official on them and cosidering that on the face book page one the image is lit like the DOTD shot with the green lighting it probably suggests a capaldi figure in the final set.

Edited by legofreak86

Either way i think the figures are gonna look great, especially if that capaldi figure face is real BBC or lego rendering.

Yes, please. The only current face that works at all is JJJ's most recent print, and that only works from the eyes up due to the mustache. In other words Capaldi is the only doctor you can't purist accurately at this point. So while I'd rather get more, I wouldn't be horribly upset if it was just 12. Especially considering, if they make a smaller set they're more likely to make more. Alternatively, cramming all the important characters into a bigger set would seem to imply that it's their only chance so they're making the most of it.

Pretty sure somebody said that was just fanart that BBC posted with the announcement.

They were mistaken and corrected themselves.

No one is getting rich off an approved Ideas set. You get "1% of the total net sales of the product".

I'm hoping for newer Doctors and companions (please can we get Donna).

Yes, Donna!

Big DW fan here. I'm betting the set will have 12 and Clara at least. It would be cool to have more Doctors/companions, but unless it expands to more sets, it's pretty unlikely.

Ghostbusters was announced about this time last year and showed up at New York Toyfair in mid-Feb...might we see the set then? Looking back, it's usually about 3-4 weeks between an announcement and seeing the set.

Yes, but the Big Bang Theory set was announced in, what, October? Yet we still have almost no information on it.

Right. Of course, it was announced simultaneously with Birds, and that came first; perhaps they like having a big of breathing room between reveals... though on the other hand, the final versions of the Exo-Suit and the Research Institute came pretty close together, and the actual releases were simultaneous. Hm.

Well, they are doing a comic series with these 3 doctors. Testament to their relevance, and continued bbc support.

Also, 10 and 11 are alone by themselve. and 12 got clara.

comic%2Bbanner.jpg

Edited by deskp

OK, here is my final idea if they wanted just to go with new series:

I got a great idea for what would be cool in Lego's doctor who set. Now i suspect they will go new series with this set to start off the hype and hopefully a wave of sets and if they do thats fine as its relevant to their audience i think maybe something like this would work:

3 most recent Tardis Exteriors in show scale with the doctor figures: John Hurt "The War Doctor"​'s the 11th/12th Doctor's, 10th.9th doctor's. Also included are cardboard printed slips to represent the interior of each machine which can be changed like with 11/12's one of them can be 11;s first Tardis, the other 11;s second and one of them 12's.

all 5 new era Doctors (Including John Hurt​)

Rose, Donna, Amy and Clara.

Accessories for each doctor

12: A Printed Black Board and a black hand with a spoon

11: An extra hairpiece with Fez on it, The Pandorica

10: The Timey Wimey detector, flat hairpiece, fighting Hand in a jar with sword.

9: Big Dalek-buster Gun, and the bomb from his first episode.

War: Moment Box with pushing down diamond, No More wall and rifle.

Price would be about £50 which is affordable for kids and adults but not too expensive. This would also commmorate the 10th anniversary of the show's triumphant return very well this year.

Edited by legofreak86

Wiil it be bigger in the inside ? : )

That's a great news for DW fans as me, hope they'll include a lot of special playable features !

Yes, but the Big Bang Theory set was announced in, what, October? Yet we still have almost no information on it.

This is a good point, and one I hadn't previously considered. It was announced in November. Maybe we'll see BBT at TF.

OTOH, and, perhaps supporting seeing the mad man in a box sooner rather than later, DW and BBT entered review at the same time, and the DW specifically says that it'll be out in 2015. I wouldn't be surprised to know that TLG had the model ready to go while they worked out licensing issues.

Either way you can't compare licensed sets to non licensed ones.

I compared it to Ghostbusters, which was not even 3 weeks between the announcement and seeing the finished model. It was also a licensed set.

This is a good point, and one I hadn't previously considered. It was announced in November. Maybe we'll see BBT at TF.

OTOH, and, perhaps supporting seeing the mad man in a box sooner rather than later, DW and BBT entered review at the same time, and the DW specifically says that it'll be out in 2015. I wouldn't be surprised to know that TLG had the model ready to go while they worked out licensing issues.

I compared it to Ghostbusters, which was not even 3 weeks between the announcement and seeing the finished model. It was also a licensed set.

I'd imagine we'd see doctor who this year considering that its a significant year for the show, not as significant as the 50th but ten years since its return to television and still going strong. This could be one of bbc's way of celebrating that merch wise, only time will tell.

It appears LEGO sped that one up a bit in order to release it in time for the movie's 30th anniversary, though. I don't think there's a similar consideration at work with The Big Bang Theory.

The only other CUUSOO / Ideas set with so little time between announcement and release was Birds, and that's probably the one that needed the least design time, as it's so close to the concept model.

No one is getting rich off an approved Ideas set. You get "1% of the total net sales of the product".

You really underestimate just how many items Lego actually sells and what it sells for.

To put it in perspective, buying one of the first Lego Minecraft sets, the Village would earn the Ideas Member 1% which is around $0.3499. Granted that does not seem much at the time, however then you factor in just how many Minecraft sets are brought. I dont have exact figures, and they are likely much higher than the source i am using (Brickset) however this is just an example. The real amount the owner earns will be much larger;

Sales;

The Village - 1465

The Nether - 1379

The End - 790

Total sold; 3634

Cost of each; $34.99

Total price of all sold; $127,153.66

1% of Total price; $1,271.5366

From this example alone the person who simply suggested the idea of Lego Minecraft earns about $1,272. However, as mentioned, these are much smaller figures and not the actual amount of sets sold. This example was only with 3 of the current 9 sets in the Lego Minecraft range.

----

Regardless, if they are not even using the design suggested by the Ideas member, then they are literally only paying them for saying 'do Doctor Who'

Well, they are doing a comic series with these 3 doctors. Testament to their relevance, and continued bbc support.

Its less a testiment and more that Ten was is the most popular Doctor in recent years and 11 was the most recent Doctor that most the new fans enjoy.

Chances are when we get to the 13th Doctor (14th true incarnation) that we will get a comic with the 13th, 12th and 10th Doctor.

Edited by Scarilian

^ It's marketing for lego. Also there is effort made by the project creators aswell. The winning doctor who project did have a particualr idea made.

fyi the minecraft situation is a special one.

You really underestimate just how many items Lego actually sells and what it sells for.

To put it in perspective, buying one of the first Lego Minecraft sets, the Village would earn the Ideas Member 1% which is around $0.3499. Granted that does not seem much at the time, however then you factor in just how many Minecraft sets are brought. I dont have exact figures, and they are likely much higher than the source i am using (Brickset) however this is just an example. The real amount the owner earns will be much larger;

Sales;

The Village - 1465

The Nether - 1379

The End - 790

Total sold; 3634

Cost of each; $34.99

Total price of all sold; $127,153.66

1% of Total price; $1,271.5366

From this example alone the person who simply suggested the idea of Lego Minecraft earns about $1,272. However, as mentioned, these are much smaller figures and not the actual amount of sets sold. This example was only with 3 of the current 9 sets in the Lego Minecraft range.

Those followup sets you mentioned aren't part of the CUUSOO / Ideas program, though, and don't generate royalties for the project creator. Only the original set does.

It's explicitly specified in the Ideas terms:

If we release follow-up sets independently of LEGO Ideas, you will not be compensated.

We do not offer compensation for follow-up products. For example, if we decide to produce additional products after yours, based on a license we secure to produce your project, or new models in the same genre as your non-licensed project, you will not be compensated as these products are initiated by the LEGO Group independently of LEGO Ideas.

And think of all the old series sets they could do... Pertwee and Bessie, Tom Baker with his wooden second control room - I would buy it, and I'm not even a fan! Sets with several different companions in for each doctor, Colin Baker in his Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat on trial in that huge space station - now there would be a fun set to build, even though the series itself was not *that* popular at the time... Every Doctor could have their own story set - their most popular story, like The Daleks, Tomb of the Cybermen, The Deadly Assassin, The Daemons, Caves of Androzani, Master with Autons etc etc.... Seriously, do I hear the sound of money? You bet I do! This is the best decision TLG has made in a long time.

tuskel,

sincerely

Bessie would have crossover appeal, too - vintage car buffs who may not care or even know about Doctor Who could still appreciate a set of a really neat car.