Saberwing40k

Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Technic in 2017

Am i the only one who doesn't know what this is?

Could be. There are a few MOCs of them around. Someone may have entered one for the Triple Contest here last year.

Now that's something I'd like to see.

As far as the machine/vehicle theme, I don't mind non construction equipment, but still a land vehicle, so we still get suspension!

Make this monster :laugh:

That would be awesome, since long time I hope that somebody in future makes a bucket wheel excavator that can be built - at least with > 10.000 parts :grin:

If anybody wants to make the job, I promise that I'll make INSTRUCTIONS :laugh:

Greetings

Alex

Go to youtube and look up 'Bucket Wheel Excavator'

Examples:

Edited by DrJB

Well 10th anniversary was 1987 and according to Brickset, only the robot set was released(8852)

On the 20th anniversary they released the 8479 which is pretty cool

on the 30th they released 8297 which isn't much

Don't see why they'd do something special for the 40th :sceptic:

4000 please, my OCD won't accept 4040 :grin:

But the extra 40 pieces would eventually be the pieces that matter the most. Like, say, a new, actually working plane engine set-up.

Go make a technic set that has both manual and remote functions, like can disengage from RC to manual and vice versa and let it have a hybrid tire between Unimog and crawler tires but has to be bigger it will have to be 4x4 or 6WD truck

Given what (admittedly little) know about toy design 2016s flagship is likely already planned and given the current schedule it will be most likely be RC, however 2017 could still be far enough for our suggestions to carry some weight, but it will probably not be RC, i still agree with others that there should be some kind of UCS type set with loads of parts and functions.

I would really like to see a ~2000-2500 piece road grader, with walking beam suspension, articulated frame steering and front steering, a ripper on the rear of the grader, and a three point hitch on the front of the grader to be able to attach either another blade, or some other attachment, BUT, the pieces must be included in the model to build a front attachment, not just be the b-model like 8110. the articulated steering would be controlled by a small actuator, the front steering would have to be controlled by a compact system of steering maybe a 1x5 pneumatic cylinder with a valve for left or right, or a long drive-shaft for steering. the b-model could be a pan-scraper, not as functionable as a road grader but it would still be pretty big. just my idea, maybe i should try to build one *huh* the plans are building, time to find blueprints.

Maybe a car transporter with some cars

i think the pneumatic 1x11's would be perfect for the 2 levels, the hoses would be hard to route because the ports are so far apart. Edited by andrewganschow

I also don't know what is that...Ground reaper?

There are some really good suggestions here. I think that it should definitely be a set rather than a part, and whilst I like the idea of re-releasing an older set I think it would be great for Lego to produce a set that uses a mixture of building techniques from the 40 years of its history.

For example, I think that they could be very creative and use bricks and plates in conjunction with the newer studless beams, paying homage to each era of Technic's evolution. I think that 4,000 parts is a bit too much for a technic set.

Oh, and the 40th anniversary set should include a new 4L liftarm/studless brick, with obvious numerical significance. And that element should never be used again in any other set.

Maybe a nice 4000 pcs Porsche, so I can buy it for my own midlife crisis (I'm from 1977 too :grin: )

ha!...i doubt we will ever see a set with 3000 parts. I think the Acros at 2800 is as big as well will get.

LEGO should re-release a set and let fans vote on which set it would be.

+1...the best idea imo!

it would be a great fandom battle, with the likes of 8285/8275/8043 and 8258 battling it out! :grin:

I too would like to see a proper big experimental car (chassis) with an on scale engine using ether normal bricks or new piston parts.

For the 40th anniversary of Technic, Lego should fly me Alasdair Ryan to Billund and collaborate with me on the best set ever.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I would like to see a set that combines PF-RC with Pneumatics. It should contain a new PF valve, or a new micro servo/motor to control the valve, as well as a new "PF buggy motor", and steering parts with more realism... Then all my technic dreams that are left (the long cylinders became real this year!!) would be fulfilled, and I would have to come up with new dreams... :)

-ED-

I would like to see a set that combines PF-RC with Pneumatics. It should contain a new PF valve, or a new micro servo/motor to control the valve, as well as a new "PF buggy motor", and steering parts with more realism... Then all my technic dreams that are left (the long cylinders became real this year!!) would be fulfilled, and I would have to come up with new dreams... :)

-ED-

OMG that is rhe same as what a am complaning about for 3 years.

if someone of TLG reads this: Do this

For me, any anniversary set(s) should pay homage to the years that they celebrate. I like the idea of a set combining the building techniques, and pieces, covering the 40 years of Technic. As one of the fortunates that received the first sets in the year they were released, I would love to see all of them revamped for the anniversary.

I'd also like to see a return of the original instructions. Perhaps special editions of the instructions for the Anniversary year sets, in the style of 1977; a direct comparison of how things have changed in the 40 years. Let's face it, it'll only be 20 steps to recreate for the flagship :grin:

Oh, yes. Make that little red car.

Seconded.

I'd love to see a studless re-release of the 8880 set, along the lines of the old 'Legends' theme, with special suspension pieces and everything to make it just as special as the original. Maybe with some old 80s-style art for the box:

19.jpg

While I doubt that LEGO will do anything special for the 40th anniversary (maybe the 50th...), I'm fairly sure that if they were to do something, many of the ideas proposed in this thread wouldn't stand a chance. Huge 4000+-piece sets will be too expensive for about 95+% of the potential buyers and will thus be too expensive for TLG to develop. The various parts that have been suggested are too much a niche too; I think TLG learned its lesson with the fiber optics system and the plethora of specialized parts in the early 2000s.

That leaves either new renditions of old sets or a contest as feasible options, or a combination thereof. I like the idea of a contest among FOLs to make a modern version of an old classic (flagship). However, I'm not sure which flagship would qualify the most for such a contest (I think "just pick one" would make judging too hard):

• the many supercars, such as the 8880, have been done of the years in various forms and shapes
  • so have shovels and excavators
  • 8868 saw a fairly recent rendition in the form of the 9397
  • 8480, despite its awesomeness, doesn't leave a lot of space of creativity

That leaves 8094 Control Center I and 8485 Control Center II. I'm not entirely sure though what a original variation of this set could look like, but that would be part of the challenge. It could look like a GBC, although the availability of balls would be an issue, or some other robotic machine. It would be a great contest in the spirit of Technic though!

(PS: for those wondering: the huge machine crossing the road on the first page of this thread is the Bagger 288, one of the world's biggest bucket-wheel excavators)

I am new to modern lego but today a thought came to me looking at some Bionicle sets. Would it not be possible to have generic bionicle parts for building technic humanoids in different scales... For example one big enough for sitting on a motorcycle model and scaling down all the way to one that fits the 42009 ...

The joints could have different levels of friction to make some movements more free than others. For example character sitting in a car could have it's arms flexible so that they move when the wheels turn...

Just a crazy idea, but would be interesting merge between bionicles and technic :)

Just a crazy idea, but would be interesting merge between bionicles and technic :)

It is already called Bionicle and implemented in previous sets. And, no thanks.