Saberwing40k

Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Technic in 2017

Folks, believe it or not, our favorite Lego theme turns 40 in 2017! Since 1977, Technic has been the most challenging and interesting models in the Lego lineup, and I think that Lego should celebrate the line's 40th birthday.

So, what do you think they should do?

Here are my ideas:

Either in late 2015, or early 2016, Lego initiates a new competition: Technic 40th Birthday Present! It would be sort of like the challenge with the 9398 crawler that produced the 41999, but different. The rules would be somewhat simple: design a creation with ~2500 parts, based on any Technic set from the past 40 years, and both the votes of the fans and the design team would determine a winner. In addition, there would be a couple of different new colors and new parts options, to introduce some new parts or colors into the Technic lineup.

The above would be the best case scenario, but there are other options. For instance, a voting contest that would have a full catalog of all Technic sets, except for some of the more recent ones, and the ones with the most votes would be the ones that get modern remakes, and form the Technic lineup for 2017. Or, the above, but the most popular set would be the flagship of 2017.

Or, as a final option, a new part design competition.

I'd really like for there to be some sort of competition or fan involvement, but if that were not going to happen, I'd either like to see updated Technic figures or some remakes of interesting sets, like a new, true 8880 successor, or an upgraded version of 8480.

What do you guys think?

I think the idea of a fan-based contrest is a good idea. Besides that:

I would like to see a new innovation as well as another exclusive set like the 41999. The latter though offered upfront for order so that they know how many to produce. After that it's off the shelves again (in fact, maybe it never really js on the shelves).

Regarding the innovation, Technic has been rehashing the same old ideas for a long time now - apparently, 40 years. Perhaps a new object can be found for recreating in Technic... Think of complicated strucutres like bridges. Or Trains (I know creator does them, but then Creator does super cars as well). Or another fair ground attraction. Or a zeppelin? Or a special license. Or sets that would appeal more to girls. Technic Friends anyone? Like working kitchen appliances.

If they must rehash, I would like to see a better integration with regular LEGO to make modes like a super car look different. I avoid the wording 'to look better' cos I guess that is a matter of taste. But the same way the Star Wars theme uses Technic (e.gl the Shuttle or Slave) I would like to see Technic use LEGO. For example, think how awesome the Tumbler would have been if it actually could ride and open the doors with power functions.

For something different, an official GBC would be fun. Or some similar thing, introducing modular sets to Technic. It would be a challenge because they'd have to match scale, but I suspect they could do a couple of simple modules that would be pretty cheap, right through to a big hairy thing with 2500 parts. That would also give them the opportunity to memorialise some of the older sets - imagine a GBC featuring a simplified Air Tech Claw Rig for example. Or pick a similar but related theme for the modulars - the US-style amazing machines maybe.

If they were willing to do a 41999 style pre-order set, a contest is the obvious way to get the model. It'd be tempting to up the part limit, but I suspect for Lego-ego reasons they wouldn't want it to be the biggest Technic set ever. That said, there are no doubt others who looked at 41999 and went "price premium for a tiny collection of unique colour... that would be annoying" and didn't buy it. I got burnt with the teal Technic and have not forgotten. So the set would have to be worthwhile in some other way than "contains a few parts in unique colours" top appeal outside the "build and display" collectors..

I would love to see floating Technic. It might be hard to do motors, but it would be really nice to have a larger floating hull and again, I reckon they could do several sets just based on a single hull part, or get really wild and do a three part like the really old boats (front, middle, rear) so they could do a small single hull, medium single hull and large double hull. For an AFOL-oriented set I reckon they could motorise the large model and just say "don't get the motors wet". That should also give us a decent Lego water propellor :) And maybe even reintroduce the weighted parts, desipte how hard they are to manufacture. A Technic weight would at least bypass the "it keeps falling off" problem, presumably via a tab on the weight going into a slot in the bottom of the hull, held in place by an axle through the hull.

If they did the multi-part hull I would go wild. You could do stuff like a big salvage catamaran, ferries, all sorts. Or just whack a bunch of hulls side by side as a barge.

Bring back the Technic figures and seats for them. :classic:

No technic set should ever come with a DOLL! (Except 8457 which was cool)

You've presented several cool ideas and here are mine:

1) I like idea of contest and Lego could make it easily in this way: release box with bricks without any instructions or hints what you can build out of them. Then Lego fans would buy it, build something out of them and submit their creations into contest. Best creations would be realeased next year as main and alternative models of special set. This would give Lego control over prise of final set and make quite challenging environment for competitors.

2) If we speak about something new in Technic model portfolio what about animals? There were just few animals in Technic line so what about some big animal set like tyrannosaur from set 8485?

Edited by Tomik

cool ideas!

I'll be more than happy if they just make a mega set, with all the technic functions in it (Arocs is close, just missing RC), with all the PF motors (like 42030), pneumatics, etc.

It will be expensive yes, but I'd rather get tons of functions and really complex build experience over some rare coloured parts (41999) if I have to pay premium, plus, it will be a good showcase for Lego technic capabilities after all those 40 years of development.

Hmmm... since many of you have ninja'd me on suggestions, here's mine, and it involves the number four thousand and forty.

1. Have a 1H flagship being a 14-axle Mobile Crane Mk IV clocking in at exactly 4040 pieces and another, bigger, wilder, packed-and-stacked and absolutely gorgeous 2H flagship, also at 4040 pieces dead.
  2. That 2H flagship will be the one that gets designed by the best of the best, and I mean only the best of the best. It will be clad smooth with both panel and System, not like the rest of the Technic sets before, and for an added challenge, NO CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT. And again, the constraints of the 4040 piece count.
  3. The rest of the Technic sets accompanying the flagships per half. The sum of parts count of the smaller Technic sets to go with the flagships has to total 4040.
  4. A 40-minute speed-build-a-Technic-set tournament! Double-elimination format, one for singles and teams of max. 3, with a first-to-3 wins final. Grand prize? $40,000.00 and $40,000.00 worth of Technic sets.
  5. And finally, while having no 40, the ultimate fusion of Mindstorms and Technic in one ultimate set. Go as far as piece count is concerned, as long as it can use the Mindstorms and PF together in perfect harmony.

And there.

And for my suggestion for my 2nd point, I am suggesting the Airbus A380.

Edited by XAxles

And finally, while having no 40, the ultimate fusion of Mindstorms and Technic in one ultimate set. Go as far as piece count is concerned, as long as it can use the Mindstorms and PF together in perfect harmony.

Now that's something I'd like to see.

As far as the machine/vehicle theme, I don't mind non construction equipment, but still a land vehicle, so we still get suspension!

Make this monster :laugh:

8f02c40e7e8f4ceba98b7dd5516ea9a7d9047923.jpeg

Nothing?I dont remember if lego do some special set for other themes, except town plan for 50. anniversary.Even 10. modular si regular as others...

Did they do anything for 30th, 20th or even 10th? what makes this anniversary any different? not that i don't want anything though, a special huge flagship would be great.

As far as the machine/vehicle theme, I don't mind non construction equipment, but still a land vehicle, so we still get suspension!

Oh, yes. Make that little red car.

I've always wanted a bucket-wheel excavator. Not sure many people know or have seen those in real life, but those of us who have, it's an epic feat of engineering. I even collected several bionicle parts 57702.jpg exactly for this project. Picture below is TrBlue but they do come in white, and a while back I bought most of the US supply. Still haven't had the time to put it together. The other idea I'm working on is a GBC based on such bucket-wheel-excavator. Despite all the nice ideas in this thread, I'm hoping TLG will surprize us with something never seen before, maybe three separate modular sets that couold operate very well on their own, but all together be a super-machine, kinda like the three spaceshipd in Goldorak (for those who remember).

It has "Pneumatics V2" with longer pistons.

Longer than that, 32 studs or so. :innocent:

--

Bucket wheel excavator - using the new buckets from the Arocs (the clamshell halves)? :grin:

I am +1 to the little red car. :wink:

Edited by andythenorth

... exactly 4040 pieces

4000 please, my OCD won't accept 4040 :grin:

Btw, 4040 relates to "Page Not Found Error" ;)