Sign in to follow this  
Spader

AoM - Phase 1 - Tower - Hunting for a friend

My first build for the Age of Mitgardia freebuild challenge. Category- Defense. Sub-Category- Tower, Phase 1.

-------------------------------------

After returning from the raid on Nocturnus, we had encountered bad luck. Lydia's father had been kidnapped by one of the local Jarl's bullyboys. Lydia has told us she would hunt for he father. Wulf agreed, on the condition that someone accompany her. I, naturally, was the first choice. I knew this region of Mitgardia well, and I was a tracker, unlike my fellow crewmembers. So Lydia and I had set out, in hope of Finding her father. And here we were, at the boarders of Skaljarik, and Jarl Arian's domain. But try as I might, I couldn't convince Lydia to go there for help. So we pushed on.

"Where's this, Logan," she asked.

"The Outpost, we call it," I replied. "It's manned 8 months out of the year, but not now."

"Can we camp here?"

"Sure. It's a bit cold, but as good a shelter you'll find in the next day or so."

16241036288_02da4b9bc0.jpg

Sirius, my dog, had also come with us. He, too, was a tracker.

"Smell anything, Sirius?" I asked, knowing I'd get no answer.

But Sirius' large, bushy tail waged, meaning there weren't any other beings in the immediate area.

16427746412_1459a34c72.jpg

Sirius and I quickly ascended the steps.

"Should I get us some meat?" Lydia wondered, looking up at us.

"No," I replied. "The Outpost has food enough. It was true. The temperature was such that the meat remained frozen, and therefore didn't go stale. It had saved many a travelers life. And saved my stomachache from growling on more then one occasion.

15806178114_ca9646ca47.jpg

A few hours later, we had a warm fire, and were both sitting content after a good meal. Even Sirius had quite a bit to eat. Something had been bugging me, so I decided to ask Lydia.

"Why would your father be kidnapped?"

"Oh," She replied. "well, that's probably due to the fact that he challenges authority. A lot," she added. "He can really make a nuisance of himself. But he's a good person, and a great fighter. That's why most people tolerate him.

"What about you father?" She asked, her curiosity aroused.

"He's dead," I said, trying not to let her see the deep hurt it cause me to say those words.

She realized how I felt, and said, "Sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

"No, I replied. "You had no way of knowing."

"Thanks for agreeing to come," She said, changing the subject. "I doubt any of the other's would have."

Anything for a a friend," I replied, happy to talk about something else. But then I noticed how dark it was.

"I'll take the first shift," I told her.

"Is that really necessary?"

"It is if we want to make sure no one sneaks up on us," I replied, not unkindly.

16242782547_304ffcc1c3.jpg

As I took the shift, I thought over my actions in the last week or so. First, I had defied my closest friend, because of my continence. Then I had agreed to accompany someone I had only recently meet on a tracking mission that could very possibly be deadly. But in the end, I felt justified in both courses of action.

16242780947_a7b794e872.jpg

As I looked out, I saw one of my favorite sights. The Northern Lights! For some reason, they soothed my soul. As much as this land was rugged and dangerous, it had an innate beauty, one that was not lost upon me. As Sirius and I gazed at the Northern Lights, I knew, despite everything else, I was proud to be a Mitgardian. I was proud to be a Raider, and even more proud to say I did have a continence.

16426924321_208be829ae.jpg

Builder's notes: For my first try with the rounded wall, I think it turned out well. Tell me what you think!

Author's notes: So as usual, my story is pretty short, but I will have more depth in my next build. In any case, enjoy!

Excellent build! The steps and snow both look great! :thumbup:

Thanks!

I like the Northern Light!

Wall is ok - try to do a complete tower next time!

I wanted to, but I ran out of pieces. My new bricklink order should fix that.....Thanks for the comment!

Nice ruins! Cool story too!

Thanks! I really liked the way the ruins turned out.

Nice little outpost! I love the little statue details as a gate.

Thanks!

Nice build, Andrew!

The ruins of the outpost look nice! The ground and snow are very Mitgardian. The addition of the Northern Lights is well-done!

Nice build, Andrew!

The ruins of the outpost look nice! The ground and snow are very Mitgardian. The addition of the Northern Lights is well-done!

Thanks! Yeah, I've been wanting to put the Northern Lights in a build for a while.....glad you like it!

Nice landscape and tower, Andrew, the story and northern lights are great as well :thumbup:

Some of my favorite details are the stone steps and the rocks around the fire - hope to see more of the story soon :wink:

Nice landscape and tower, Andrew, the story and northern lights are great as well :thumbup:

Some of my favorite details are the stone steps and the rocks around the fire - hope to see more of the story soon :wink:

Thanks! I do really like the story so far, and I'm glad you enjoy it!

Very good start to the tower phases. I like the use of micro figs and the snow looks great for the most part :thumbup: (the large plates on the ground are a touch blocky).

Excellent story too :classic:

Very good start to the tower phases. I like the use of micro figs and the snow looks great for the most part :thumbup: (the large plates on the ground are a touch blocky).

Excellent story too :classic:

Thanks! yeah, I'll try to avoid blocky snow next time!