LegoSjaak

All 10 modulars together. Total of 17 sets.

Here a video of my modified modulars, all together in one layout.

Edited by LegoSjaak

Wow, you have too money and time to spend :wink: .....OMG.....that is one huge layout and looks real cool ! :grin:

Brick On 'LegoSjaak' ! :grin:

Wow, you have too (much) money and time to spend :wink:

Isn't this the kind of sarcasm that AFOL's are used to hearing from non-AFOL's?

I'm sorry, but I just don't think your sense of humor there is funny at all. I would, personally, never say a thing like that to you while appreciating the photos of your own city. It comes across as something other than humor, beneath its funny veil and 'wink'. We each make our investments, and we each make our sacrifices - do we not?

This is our place of refuge, and it is not so much a locale, as it is a gathering of people - and mutual respect is vital to the health of that.

And if you think I have taken this too far out of context, you should consider the ways in which the ambiguity of your statement could be perceived before you lob it out there without legs or feet.

Edited by notaromantic

I'm sorry, but I just don't think your sense of humor there is funny at all. I would, personally, never say a thing like that to you while appreciating the photos of your own city. It comes across as something other than humor, beneath its funny veil and 'wink'. We each make our investments, and we each make our sacrifices - do we not?

This is our place of refuge, and it is not so much a locale, as it is a gathering of people - and mutual respect is vital to the health of that.

And if you think I have taken this too far out of context, you should consider the ways in which the ambiguity of your statement could be perceived before you lob it out there without legs or feet.

He was just giving a complement out. No need to get all mad over it.

Edited by legonerd54321

Great overwiew! It is looking awesome|...

It is a shame (for me only!) that I have started to build modular house way too late! Not everything is for sale anymore!... (here in the Netherlands)

i see your point.. and in fact you are right.. But i know for myself what is true and what not. Lightningtiger doesn't mean it the way you say it.. i've read too many posts of him to think he meant something not positive with his post. I do not have too much money..that is for sure.. i just spent my earned money on other things than other people do.. I drive a 5 year old second hand car instead of buying a new one each year... And talking about too much time.. well...everyone with two little sons of 5 and almost 2 years old, knows that there is not much time left for yourself... I've been working woth Lego since my childhood, but started back again in 2009. Since then i collected almost 100.000 bricks...and made this out of it.. Spending savings on Lego and selling stuff from other hobby's made it all possible for me... But don't be too hard on LT, as he is one of the most complementous posters on EB... thanks for the compliments, both of you!!

Great overwiew! It is looking awesome|...

It is a shame (for me only!) that I have started to build modular house way too late! Not everything is for sale anymore!... (here in the Netherlands)

Thanx Henk.. but i also started too late.. it is still possible to buy the Market Street, Green Grocer and Cafe Corner...okay, you have to pay a lot, but it is possible.. and all other sets are also more or less available..... It takes time..and don't be to eager when you see sets on 'marktplaats' and be sure you go get them, in stead of have them sent per post... and Always be sure that there is at least a booklet....or even a box.....Succes in collection these wonderfull buildings... !!

Wow, you have too money and time to spend :wink: .....OMG.....that is one huge layout and looks real cool ! :grin:

Brick On 'LegoSjaak' ! :grin:

Thanx LT, one never has enough money... i would like to tile the whole square, but that would take me over 3500 2x2 tiles... hmmm... And time... well..that is a problem as well.. yesterday i just had time to put in the new Detective's Office MOD and make a video....after that i had to get down from the attic to bath my sons...!

So, how do you roll in this street? With a Coupe De Ville, an Impala, or a Porsche 918?

So, how do you roll in this street? With a Coupe De Ville, an Impala, or a Porsche 918?

With my bike...as i'm from Holland, i do most of my short rides with a bicycle... And if not.. i'll use my Peugeot 308 SW Family car...;-)

Ahh LegoSjaak!! Your setup is very impressive as usual!

I can still remember two years ago returning from my dark age and stumbling across your amazing setup in one of your YouTube videos and marveling at not only the setup itself but how far LEGO had come in the many years I had spent in the dark... Not to mention the considerable respect you immediately gained from me (as many other have too in the past two years), just thinking about that time and money yourself, LT and others are talking about, time especially is a precious commodity in today's world and it must be spent doing things we love and enjoy. I think sometimes we take our lil' hobby for granted, we are, after all the lucky ones. We can spend our spare time and our spare money (sometimes even not spare money we shouldn't really spend :wink: ) on this wonderful pastime, others in this world are not so lucky.

It's important to keep all these things in perspective as we peruse this wonderful forum.

As for your impressive modular collection, I certainly look forward to the next installment and will continue to look in wonder and be inspired by yourself and many other on EB :classic: :classic:

Happy building LegoSjaak and to all!! :laugh:

Wow! My daughter would love to have that setup to play with. Hell, I would love to have all those sets just to build. Great work, LS!

He was just giving a complement out. No need to get all mad over it.

Oh, I wasn't mad at all.

It's an ambivalent statement. It just is... Try it out with anyone passionate about what they do when they are naked with their own work and assess the reaction you get.

@lightningtiger: Great humor! Please find room in your AFOL Lego heart to forgive notaromantic for his furious outbursts - we can all have a bad day (or two... well, sometimes even three)! For example I remember once I was in the middle of building a new set I had just purchased, when I suddenly couldn't find the stickers that came with the set. I finally realized that when I had thrown away the box a few days earlier the stickers must have had been in the box... Boy, was I upset?! I tell you, if I had come across a forum topic similar to this at that time, I would also have flamed the first poor guy to stick his head out :devil:

@LegoSjaak: Great layout! However, I think your modular houses look way too big, when you have merged two sets of each. So can you please change them back to the original design and send me all the spare sets?! :sweet: Brick on!

We Australians can and do have a funny and strange sense of humour. Some people love it, some dont understand it and others cant stand it. Reminds me of an old TV show here (Hey Hey Its Saturday back in the late 80's early 90's), New Zealander's whom are often confused as Aussies in Europe etc didnt get it.

@lightningtiger: Great humor! Please find room in your AFOL Lego heart to forgive notaromantic for his furious outbursts - we can all have a bad day (or two... well, sometimes even three)! For example I remember once I was in the middle of building a new set I had just purchased, when I suddenly couldn't find the stickers that came with the set. I finally realized that when I had thrown away the box a few days earlier the stickers must have had been in the box... Boy, was I upset?! I tell you, if I had come across a forum topic similar to this at that time, I would also have flamed the first poor guy to stick his head out :devil:

@LegoSjaak: Great layout! However, I think your modular houses look way too big, when you have merged two sets of each. So can you please change them back to the original design and send me all the spare sets?! :sweet: Brick on!

...Hmm...i will consider doing this... they are indeed pretty big.... when i would bring them back to original sizes, i would have more space as well..so.. it is not a bad idea... and i could sell the sets....great idea!!! :laugh: I never throw away the box... i cut them here and there, so i can store them flat, but i'll keep them all..Most people want boxes when i would sell my sets...

Wow! My daughter would love to have that setup to play with. Hell, I would love to have all those sets just to build. Great work, LS!

My son also sort of plays with the sets... but what he does is putting vehicles and trains in the order he likes.. and then has his own story with it, about cops and crooks....

Ahh LegoSjaak!! Your setup is very impressive as usual!

I can still remember two years ago returning from my dark age and stumbling across your amazing setup in one of your YouTube videos and marveling at not only the setup itself but how far LEGO had come in the many years I had spent in the dark... Not to mention the considerable respect you immediately gained from me (as many other have too in the past two years), just thinking about that time and money yourself, LT and others are talking about, time especially is a precious commodity in today's world and it must be spent doing things we love and enjoy. I think sometimes we take our lil' hobby for granted, we are, after all the lucky ones. We can spend our spare time and our spare money (sometimes even not spare money we shouldn't really spend :wink: ) on this wonderful pastime, others in this world are not so lucky.

It's important to keep all these things in perspective as we peruse this wonderful forum.

As for your impressive modular collection, I certainly look forward to the next installment and will continue to look in wonder and be inspired by yourself and many other on EB :classic: :classic:

Happy building LegoSjaak and to all!! :laugh:

Thanx Timmy for your very kind words... We are pretty Lucky guys indeed to have a lot of modulars in our collection.... Always working on idea's...most of them are too expensive.. Now i'm thinking of ordering parts for another 5 big trees in front of the Town Hall.. there are three of them now, but i want 4 trees on both sides of the lane leading to the Town Hall.. ..i think i'm ordering them....i would look way better!! It is fun to share and inspire other people, just like i got inspired by videos and pictures of other people... Wish everyone could enjoy Lego like we do!!

Oh, I wasn't mad at all.

It's an ambivalent statement. It just is... Try it out with anyone passionate about what they do when they are naked with their own work and assess the reaction you get.

I see you have yet to actually comment on the actual post...which is more what LegoSjaak is looking for. Maybe raise the issue of how comments can be interpreted separately or even more prudent...privately with those involved. Lets focus on what the post was intended for...feedback to the original post!

So... I love the Modular layout and the skill you have shown in combining more than one of the original sets in XL'ing the design and footprint of each building. Your current work on the 'Detective Office' is excellent and gives inspiration to those who may want to follow suit!

My only suggestion, which I think I have posted before on another City Layout, is to focus on the landscaping and tying together your brilliant building work with a stronger external aesthetic. If you look to brick build the trees, hard & soft landscaping, roads etc...your layout will really tie together and support the detail already shown in the modulars. My example would be to look at the incorporation of the brick built Xmas tree in your winter layout and how that has more of a presence than the standard 'Lego Tree' piece. Have a gander at the amazing work over in 'Historic Themes' as they have fantastic MOC builds that depict an amazing array of trees and foliage that could be brought into your layouts.

But as I said before, this looks already like an amazing project that is only going to get better and better as it evolves in the future. Can't wait to see what you do next!

I see you have yet to actually comment on the actual post...which is more what LegoSjaak is looking for. Maybe raise the issue of how comments can be interpreted separately or even more prudent...privately with those involved. Lets focus on what the post was intended for...feedback to the original post!

So... I love the Modular layout and the skill you have shown in combining more than one of the original sets in XL'ing the design and footprint of each building. Your current work on the 'Detective Office' is excellent and gives inspiration to those who may want to follow suit!

My only suggestion, which I think I have posted before on another City Layout, is to focus on the landscaping and tying together your brilliant building work with a stronger external aesthetic. If you look to brick build the trees, hard & soft landscaping, roads etc...your layout will really tie together and support the detail already shown in the modulars. My example would be to look at the incorporation of the brick built Xmas tree in your winter layout and how that has more of a presence than the standard 'Lego Tree' piece. Have a gander at the amazing work over in 'Historic Themes' as they have fantastic MOC builds that depict an amazing array of trees and foliage that could be brought into your layouts.

But as I said before, this looks already like an amazing project that is only going to get better and better as it evolves in the future. Can't wait to see what you do next!

Gazumpty, thank you for your kind words and constructive remarks. I already made a small start with brick built trees. The 3 trees in front of the Town Hall are the first step to landscaping the whole layout. But sometimes it is hard what to choose... go for another modular set, or invest in tiling and landscaping the 14.000 studs of the baseplates... Those (very simple) brickbuilt trees, for example, would cost me about 6 euro's a piece... but i really see what you mean.. it would look way better to change those Lego Tree-pieces into larger, brick built trees, that have the grandeur of the modular layout. The extra large versions of the modulars were not always that easy to make.. Due to limited parts, i had to change some façades very often.. But one thing is sure, i ofcourse 'just' modified the buildings... and that cannot be compared to some of our collegue-EB'rs that make beautifull MOC's... I wish i had their creativity!!! Anyway, thanks for you remarks!! 15840674897_a38e06fa18_z.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak

Very nicely done, and thank you for sharing. I hope these are permanently displayed somewhere in your house. Few Comments:

1. The trees and extra lamp poles, those were not part of the modulars, correct?

2. I wonder how the whole setup will look like in late afternoon (or evening setting) with some life-lites placed in the street lamps and other few key locations.

3. Coming to think of it (and after reading the previous post on trees), the buildings look 'old' as in it took several generations to build such city center. However, the trees being 'small/short' makes them look much younger than the rest of the layout. Maybe older/taller trees (that span several floors) could be worth a try. In the end, it's really about what 'focus' you want to have: the trees or the buildings. You have done such a fantastic job with the modulars that I would hate (personally) to put a big tree in the middle and eclipse such buildings ... no easy choices.

Cheers

Edited by DrJB

Very nicely done, and thank you for sharing. I hope these are permanently displayed somewhere in your house. Few Comments:

1. The trees and extra lamp poles, those were not part of the modulars, correct?

2. I wonder how the whole setup will look like in late afternoon with some life-lites placed in the street lamps and other few key locations.

3. Coming to think of it (and after reading the previous post on trees), the buildings look 'old' as in it took several generations to build such city center. However, the trees being 'small/short' makes them look much younger than the rest of the layout. Maybe older/taller trees (that span several floors) could be worth a try. In the end, it's really about what 'focus' you want to have: the trees or the buildings. You have done such a fantastic job with the modulars that I would hate (personally) to put a big tree in the middle and eclipse such buildings ... no easy choices,

Cheers

Dr JB, that is correct.. there are more elements that were not a part of an Original Modular set. I bricklinked extra street lamps and had those lego-tree-pieces available from my other City layout.. And yes.. that would look awesome, as long as the LED's used are not sucht bright white LED's but a bit dimmed, yellowish light.... I is hard to make a video, or pictures, without getting those shiny, reflecting bricght-light bricks... I used a TL-light and 4 spots, to get it a bit right.. but taking pictures is still hard in this layout.. And it is placed in the attic, and there is no daylight... Better for bricks, but worse for taking pictures.... :sweet:

Wow. I wish I had space to display so many modulars. I especially like the way you have increased the width of the pet shop, the cinema, and other models. I want to do the same as well (and wish I had more time - as well as space). Did you also add an extra floor to the town hall?

Wow. I wish I had space to display so many modulars. I especially like the way you have increased the width of the pet shop, the cinema, and other models. I want to do the same as well (and wish I had more time - as well as space). Did you also add an extra floor to the town hall?

Thanks! I did not add an extra floor, but i did add an extra row of bricks here and there... so it looks higher... Also the roof is raised and the tower as well!!

Here a video of my modified modulars, all together in one layout.

Nice! Like what you've done with merging duplicates in to a larger version of each modular. Parisian Restaurant looks particularly good!

@notaromantic - didn't read @lightningtiger's comments as sarcasm at all?

Edited by BricksMcgee

Ok. Ok. I give.

As I explained to LegoSjaak already, as a very artistic/ creative child, I also happened to be blessed by a family who thought such past-times were not only a waste of time, but also a waste of any resource, and who also were not hesitant to tell one so in ways that were obvious, and not so obvious - and often veiled beneath humor. They are the kinds of people who once were, in another time, part of very spiritual and expressive societies, but who, generationally, bought into the messages sold them - they became the working middle class of industrialized nations, who like most who did, then began to spout that same mentality to their children: It is employment, marriage, children, making money and being a societal success that is most important. One's creativity, and thus individuality, has no place in that realm. And anything artistic is sure to lead down a road of ruin.

Now, many of us are adults who have a hobby that is not exactly "constructive", (albeit it is entirely), in many people's minds. Many of us, if we did not already know how that feels, do now. I am saavy and sensitive to comments such as that, and as an adult now, I absolutely refuse to tolerate it - which does alienate me from my family, who has not, and will not change. When I hear it, I call it out. And so I did...

Injustice and inequality just really gets under my skin. I do apologize if I read into something that was not there for some of you. But sometimes humor can be more wounding than anything else can be, and albeit, I too do not believe lightningtiger's comment was "meant" to wound, but its the kind of thing that, if waived around indiscreetly, can.

"Stop playing with that gun!!!" - was my attitude when I posted. If it came across as harsh, I do also apologize for that. It was reactionary, and perhaps not written with patience. But - Please: Don't play with guns like that... ok?

Now, carry on.

Edited by notaromantic