Sign in to follow this  
GuyDudeMan27

[MOC] Imperial Landing Craft

Hi guys! Today I have my latest LDD work, an imperial landing craft. When I first started using LDD, I tried my hand at modding a 7659, which I never completely finished. In light of this, about 2 months ago I started a new version of the landing craft. This time around, I decided to make sure it wasn't just a 7649 with a better interior. I started off using a 7649 as a base, but it quickly developed into it's own thing. Here's a quick change log of what I did.

• New Cockpit
  • Removed the turning mechanism (kinda)
  • Redesigned Interior
  • Lengthened troop bay
  • New wings (all 3)
  • Many cosmetic changes

You can find all of the pictures on my Flickr, or the album here. You can download the LFX file on my Brickshelf, or here. Without any further ado, here are the pictures! Enjoy!

15808367293_ea7e2c46c9_b.jpgImperial Landing Craft by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

I've kept the landing gear from the original model, mainly because of the troop bay. (We'll see that soon)

16402432596_0a46527583_b.jpgLanding Craft Back by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

From the back, you can see the new engines. Also note the lack of the gear mechanism. I've kept the interior gears, which should still work, but you'd need to manually turn the gear on the bottom. That decision caused me great pain when getting the wings in position for the renders :tongue:

16242508567_08e8b69536_b.jpgLanding Craft Interior by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

Finally, we have the troop bay! I designed it so that it can hold 14 stormtroopers (or rebel scum :vader:) and one officer at his console. The sides flip down for easy deployment. I kept in the original mechanism for deploying the troop bay, but changed the color of the piece from red to white. (I've checked and all the parts are available) It also holds guns for all of the troopers. This pretty much wraps up the model. Any C&C are very welcome!

Absolutely amazing! I have been waiting to see something like this for a while, I only have two issues with it:

1. I didn't like the deployment function of the original, but yours is certainly an improvement.
  2. There should be a way to make a solid and sturdy shuttle cockpit, though yours captures the shape pretty well.

But you did a great job, if I had the bricks I would certainly give it a try.

Absolutely amazing! I have been waiting to see something like this for a while, I only have two issues with it:

1. I didn't like the deployment function of the original, but yours is certainly an improvement.
  2. There should be a way to make a solid and sturdy shuttle cockpit, though yours captures the shape pretty well.

But you did a great job, if I had the bricks I would certainly give it a try.

Thanks! I mostly kept it in for ease of access, so that the troops would be easy to get out IRL. I'm not sure if I'll ever be happy with the cockpit, but for now it'll have to do.

I really like this for a realistically affordable set!

The size is just right, and it also appears to be pretty well scaled all round, the vertical fin, the wings, and the cockpit (nicely done by the way!) all in comparison to the body which is nice and smooth.

The only thing I don't like... is the landing gear...

Such nice design for all of it, and then the landing gear looks like you sorta 'gave up' after getting everything else so... perfect :(

I really like this for a realistically affordable set!

The size is just right, and it also appears to be pretty well scaled all round, the vertical fin, the wings, and the cockpit (nicely done by the way!) all in comparison to the body which is nice and smooth.

The only thing I don't like... is the landing gear...

Such nice design for all of it, and then the landing gear looks like you sorta 'gave up' after getting everything else so... perfect :(

Thanks! I totally agree about the landing gear. I'll probably go back and fix it soon. Mainly I kept it because it was a) convientent, and b) worked well with the folding door of the troop bay. I might reuse the landing gear from my shuttle, as it would probably work well and I think it looks pretty nice.

I'm currently updating my version based on the Rebels Landing craft. It's shown as damaged but you can see it in the Rebels episode 'Gathering forces'

640px-Gathering_Forces_Imperial_Shuttle_Concept_Art.jpg

Great mods, I have been meaning to do this to mine, but have way too many projects in front/going on it would be foolish of me to start another.