Hello!

After long months of little work, I finally completed v1 of this MOC. I'm now feeling free to take it apart and move on :)

Please

(it looks terrible embedded). More photos in Flickr, here's a couple from yesterday:

16224216810_6892910340_b.jpg

15789147294_db8f935154_b.jpg

Functions:

• Drive (1 XL motor, connected directly to rear wheel axle)
  • Steering (Servo motor, connected with link)
  • Front suspension
  • Seat suspension
  • All mudguards are functional
  • Front mudguard does not block wheel when suspension is fully compressed
  • Fake engine with 4 cylinders, 2 per side, because 1 per side would've been too small
  • Opening trunk, gives access to AAA battery box
  • Front & rear PF lights (cable is a bit short though)

This is my first "working" version, completed in January 2015. It's all original LEGO parts except for the rubber bands, which I honestly didn't bother buying, but I'm sure original ones would work. A previous version (August 2014) had a more complex drivetrain that proved pretty useless due to bevel gears snapping at the rear hub, which prevented the bike from driving and eventually turned those gears useless :/

I could make a v2 with the SBrick and MiniZip to save space and make the rear of the sidecar prettier, as well as have more power for the XL motor and hopefully driver faster. However, this would all be worth peanuts with current steering, which is too wobbly and imprecise. I haven't put much thought into improving it, but I think that'd ruin two aspects I like in this version: sidecar with PF functions is easy to de/attach and the motorbike looks good without it. What do you think?

Really good work, also compliments for sticking to the MOC so long in order to make it as good as you wanted. I guess you could lower the front mudguard a bit, I think the suspension doesn't compress in full while driving, only when you manually force it.

Thank you guys for your nice comments :)

Front mudguard has always been the thing that drives most critics, it's certainly not very pretty and its functionality is limited. I tried just now moving it's center 1 stud lower: suspension can still compress enough most times, and it kinda looks better, but I don't think it'd work well with the steering link, turning left would be really hard. Besides, this model is so rear heavy that front suspension doesn't compress at all while driving, it only does when playing non-RC and applying "weight" on the center or front. I think I'll try a more studded/tiled design next time, as suggested by a co-worker. We'll see, for now I think my next MOC won't have wheels or mudguards :)

Hello,

I made your BMW R-12 with mlcad. This BMW ....awesome!!! so beautiful!

800x450.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Edited by jesuskyr

Wow, I'm impressed someone took the work to digitize my MOC, thank you so much!

It looks really good, very accurate and to the last detail :)

I'd be also surprised if mlcad didn't complain about some time the connections in the frame!

I must confess, I was hesitant to post an update here about this being in Rebrickable, the thread being a bit old and inactive by then, but I now feel I owe it to you all:

http://rebrickable.com/mocs/miguev/bmw-r-12-motorbike

http://rebrickable.com/mocs/miguev/bmw-r-12-sidecar

Video instructions may be more amusing that useful, but with the imminent new arrival in the family that's all I could manage 0:)

Oh wait, I just noticed the brakes (on the handlebar) are not horizontal as in my original MOC, I guess mlcad made it too hard? I'm not familiar with the software 0:)