Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

Revealing my troops

The black blazer certainly do contrast with the rest of the troops and this would be highly advantageous for the enemy because they'd know exactly who to target. Afterall, with leaders what good is the army?

I'm having some problems with onomatopoeia though.

So here's a request for those who speak English as their native language: what are the best words to use for:

- firing a cannon

- firing a pistol or a musket (from the age of pirates, not a modern one, I'm pretty sure the sound was different)

- one sabre hitting another in a duel

- a mast or other wooden construction being broken

I mean words such as BAM, BLAM etc. I've been searching the web but with no satisfying results :-/

Lets see here...

Onomatopoeia is such a funny word. :-D

Firing a cannon-

Boom! works good.

I suppose if you're close to the cannon

Ka-Boom! works real good too.

Firing a pistol or musket-

Bang has always traditionally worked X-D

For sword fighting-

ting-ting-ting is what i would use *y*

Mast or wood breaking-

Snap! or Crack! is good.

If anyone has any better ideas let Cap'n Dreamweb know! *y*

P

A link to lego comics:

@ Brick Journal

Edited by phred

Thanks, you were most helpful. I was thinking about Bang for pistols too, but it just sounds a bit too modern to me :) Nevermind, maybe that's just me... ;)

The black blazer certainly do contrast with the rest of the troops and this would be highly advantageous for the enemy because they'd know exactly who to target. Afterall, with leaders what good is the army?

If you're refering to the British troops, the guys in black aren't supposed to be targeted by anyone, they're the highest-ranking soldiers who usually sit in an office somewhere and send others into battle. *sweet* So the contrast doesn't really matter :-D

Edited by Dreamweb

Looks like phred has this mostly covered, but I'll add a bit.

Might consider *clang* for heavier swords hitting, and *creak* for wood about to break but not quite there (or the sound of any wood under stress, like the deck as the ship is moving and people are walking around).

Outside of *bang*, perhaps a smaller form of *boom* for muskets. Like *BOOM* for cannons and *boom* for muskets, since it's fairly accurate but at different levels.

Don't forget these useful sounds ...

Flying cannonball: *whoosh*

Cannonball hitting water: *splash* or *sploosh*

Something falling: *thud* *bang* or *crash* depending on what it is

*stops making silly sounds now* :-P

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce you to the Dutch...

00.jpg

On the left are the soldiers, once again - the lowest ranks are in the back rows, the front row features highest-ranking officers, with rank increasing from left to right. On the right you can see some additional crew - civilian sailors, the chef and the medic.

More pictures HERE.

I love Dutch armies, i wonder why that is?? *sweet*

Onomatopoeia is such a funny word. :-D

I had't come across that one before, so I looked it up and it means "the formation of a word, as cuckoo or boom, by imitation of a sound made by or associated with its referent."

Looks like phred has this mostly covered, but I'll add a bit.

Might consider *clang* for heavier swords hitting, and *creak* for wood about to break but not quite there (or the sound of any wood under stress, like the deck as the ship is moving and people are walking around).

Outside of *bang*, perhaps a smaller form of *boom* for muskets. Like *BOOM* for cannons and *boom* for muskets, since it's fairly accurate but at different levels.

Don't forget these useful sounds ...

Flying cannonball: *whoosh*

Cannonball hitting water: *splash* or *sploosh*

Something falling: *thud* *bang* or *crash* depending on what it is

*stops making silly sounds now* :-P

These work good too X-D

I love Dutch armies, i wonder why that is?? *sweet*

Probably because you're from dutchland :-D (or somewhere close 8-| )

No offense is intended by this comment, i am just merely giving silly comments :-P

because, well, i am silly.

P

We told you in another thread we hang people who use fleshies!

... unless, of course, they're used tastefully, like Tano's dioramas.

Great Army! *y* *sweet*

well thank you Norrington *sweet*

nice army you have there, I need to work on my army, but first I need lots of flesh like from the 2008 sets :D

TT

These work good too X-D

Probably because you're from dutchland :-D (or somewhere close 8-| )

No offense is intended by this comment, i am just merely giving silly comments :-P

because, well, i am silly.

P

No offence taken, but Amsterdam still beats the rest of the world. Not for the less, we've build it under water and we're still breathing :-D

Well, I know I've been lazy with this thread but finally it's time to show you another one of my armies. After the French, the British and the Dutch it's time for... the Spaniards!

This is BTW my last military faction so far. I still have two pirate factions and some civilians which definitely need cleaning up.

Anyway, there they are:

00.jpg

What you see here is actually the crew of La Victoria.

As usual, the ranks go up from back row to front row, and then from left to right in each row.

More pictures in the gallery here, when public.

And BTW I'm planning to modify their flagship a little, I never liked the small front sails, I was just too tired after building the whole thing to work on them. It was a mistake I'm going to undo.

As I've mentioned, I prefer building several smaller armies rather than one or two huge ones. Now is the time to post a big group picture of the four armies I showed you so far - all of them standing side by side - which I will do in a few days.

That's a beautiful army Dreamweb.

Spain is one of my favorite factions, but I don't own any of the Spanish minifigs :'-(

Now is the time to post a big group picture of the four armies I showed you so far - all of them standing side by side - which I will do in a few days.

Some action/battle scenes would be nice ;-)

No offence taken, but Amsterdam still beats the rest of the world. Not for the less, we've build it under water and we're still breathing :-D

I think Mexico City and Venice could give you a run for your money in that department. :-P