PiotrekJ

Hello from Poland!

Hello, my name is Piotr and I live in Poland. I've been a long time lurker in this forum but I think it's time to start doing something at last.

I'm 27 years old and I played with Lego Technic since I was six - my first model was, I think, 8815 Go-cart, alas, I could only dream about big models as 8868 or 8872 and then 8880.

Lego hobby somehow died around 1998-1999, as models lost their charm to me, probably due to studless construction and life was somewhat changing (girls and whatnot :).

My dark ages lasted until 2013 when I found my old Legos in the attic and decided to build my old sets (many many parts were missing) then I found out Bricklink...

I liked it so much that later I decided to buy Unimog and I was back. I started collecting old sets I always wanted to have and somehow got used to new studless models which in the beginning were a lilttle strange to me.

To tell you the truth I'm still somehow ashamed of my hobby, as most people say "stop playing with your toys and start a family already". So I keep it secret (my girlfriend warns me that I can't tell her parents about it!).

So now I'm slowly collecting more and more sets as I also have a second hobby - old radios which also is costly, although cheaper than Lego :) .

You can see my collection here:

http://www.radiomuse...jachymczyk.html

Regards

Piotr :)

Hello Piotr,

I was compelled to post just because I saw your subject line. I live in London and have several good friends from Poland and other e. European countries.

Anyway do not be ashamed, and always keep the Lego as you will share it with your kids when you do start a family! My son has all my Lego plus his own!

Yeah, sometimes (always) people does not understand our hobby, so sometimes it is best not to tell. Too bad, as they dont understand how complex, rewarding and great this hobby is. Welcome!

Hello from Canada!

I am also polish but I have lived in Canada my whole life. I got into lego late in my years too but I love it!! Keep creating!

Yeah, it's sad, isn't it? Why are some hobbies more acceptable than others? Because some of the hobbies, like board games or Lego are things that kids do? I'm also a member of Boardgamegeek, and there are topics on this exact subject. Someone said that most of his family, when they heard about board games, told him to get a "real" hobby, like football or golf or mending cars. But why should you do something you don't like for the sake of appearances? Especially if it's a leisure thing to make you happy, and it's not like it bothers anyone else! And anyway, kids play football as well, and yet it's an great thing for grown-ups to have as a hobby or follow as a sport. You know. And I personally have never felt compelled to go and drink myself senseless whilst dancing to music so loud you can't even hear your own thoughts, but apparently that is acceptable, too. The people who do that seem to me to be just as weird as I am sure I appear to them.

So be strong and don't let them get you down!

tuskel,

sincerely