Sign in to follow this  
Emmi

Why does TLG make B-models?

Why does TLG even bother doing a 2in1 with their yearly flagship sets? Is it just me who ALWAYS builds the A model. I mean mostly the B model looks shitty, doesn't use all the parts and it seems unfinished, hm. Why does TLG bother?

2in1 with medium sets makes sense but for the flagship sets it's useless in my opinion. I'd be interested to see a chart showing who build the A, B or both models. I can't imagine many people buy 2 sets of such an expensive set just to build the B model?

Edited by Jim

Also why does TLG even bother doing a 2in1 with their yearly flagship sets? Is it just me who ALWAYS builds the A model. I mean mostly the B model looks shitty, doesn't use all the parts and it seems unfinished, hm. Why does TLG bother?

2015H1 sets proves your statement is somewhat invalid. Check B-models of 42038 & 42039. Those are (way) better than A-models :wink:

lego-technic-spielwarenmesse.jpg

This must be two of the best LEGO Technic sets EVER! What would I give to get a look inside of the Merc Arocs box :)

Also why does TLG even bother doing a 2in1 with their yearly flagship sets? Is it just me who ALWAYS builds the A model. I mean mostly the B model looks shitty, doesn't use all the parts and it seems unfinished, hm. Why does TLG bother?

2in1 with medium sets makes sense but for the flagship sets it's useless in my opinion. I'd be interested to see a chart showing who build the A, B or both models. I can't imagine many people buy 2 sets of such an expensive set just to build the B model?

I have built the B models of all my technic sets, but then I take them all apart and sort them into storage boxes.

I was tempeted to buy 2 of the 42030 sets and keep them both built and for playing with.

Also, there have been some sets in which A and B models have been reversed depending on whether the set was sold in the US or Europe. 8274 Combine Harvester / Dragster 8284 Tractor / Dune Buggy think was one of those. Our B was your A and visa versa.

Edited by JGW3000

Also why does TLG even bother doing a 2in1 with their yearly flagship sets?

I know, this puzzles me too. I am sure that all the AFOLs would be super happy at the absence of a B model. It is just offensive that TLG expect them to dismantle their priceless collectable A model, and rebuild it to something that is only B grade. The clue is in the name by the way: "B".

Also parents, when buying the set for their kids, they don't want to look at the box and be confused by seeing another model. Imagine! Some of them might think there are two models in the box. That must be a big problem for Lego customer service!

You don't need a chart, just look at the threads here, there is literally *no-one* asking what the B model will be. Nobody, quite literally nobody, cares.

Also there should be more swearing at EBs, there's not enough of it.

Edited by andythenorth

A and B models of 8284 were swapped for different markets. But, still you could tell which model was main here - there were lots of parts left after assembling one of them.

I know, this puzzles me too. I am sure that all the AFOLs would be super happy at the absence of a B model. It is just offensive that TLG expect them to dismantle their priceless collectable A model, and rebuild it to something that is only B grade. The clue is in the name by the way: "B".

I don't understand why hate B-models? Some are really nice. I imagine kids don't use internet so much like AFOLs do, so B-model helps imagine what you could build more. I would be even more happier if back side of the box included pictures of not just B-model (this is a must) but some more images for "Idea models", like they used to do.

Edited by zux

Also parents, when buying the set for their kids, they don't want to look at the box and be confused by seeing another model. Imagine! Some of them might think there are two models in the box. That must be a big problem for Lego customer service!

You don't need a chart, just look at the threads here, there is literally *no-one* asking what the B model will be. Nobody, quite literally nobody, cares.

Also there should be more swearing at EBs, there's not enough of it.

However we are well served of sarcasm, not in quality but sure in quantity.

2015H1 sets proves your statement is somewhat invalid. Check B-models of 42038 & 42039. Those are (way) better than A-models :wink:

You forgot the 42037! thats a stunning b-model, reminds me of a Tamiya hotshot!

You forgot the 42037! thats a stunning b-model, reminds me of a Tamiya hotshot!

It's not nearly as stunning when you find out it has no front suspension. My overall opinion is that b models can be pretty cool, but not including the instructions in the box is a little bit annoying, and sometimes they are not worth building. But, for some sets, the B model is just as good, if not better than, the A model. I just feel that now the quality is hit and miss. With the whole 2 in 1 thing, you would think that it would mean the set can be built into two equally good models.

Now, I have yet to build the B-model of my 42030, but except the unfinished bed and leftover parts, I would say it's a worthy B-model, by the looks of it.

On topic, I do like B-models, particularly well-engineered ones. I look forward to see the crane and Arocs B-models.

Edited by Error404

Now, I have yet to build the B-model of my 42030, but except the unfinished bed and leftover parts, I would say it's a worthy B-model, by the looks of it.

On topic, I do like B-models, particularly well-engineered ones. I look forward to see the crane and Arocs B-models.

Same here. Need to build the 42030 B, even despite the open bed.

I build the B-models of most sets. I will skip the B-model of 42029, though. And I especially liked the one of 42028.

Without sarcasm (what is sarcasm anyway? I never understand what it is, I just say what I'm thinking, sometimes I even think before typing, which probably makes me weird, but eh):

The 42009 (crane) B model (container loader) is great. It's ugly as anything, but really playable. My kids had zero interest in building the A model, because "it's just another crane".

The 8043 (excavator) B model (track loader) is outstanding, as good as any A model. I did buy another 8043 set to have both, and I did find that kind of weird, but worth it.

It is easy to look at the box and maybe wonder what the ugly B model is for, and why is it ugly, and are Lego just making the set marketable so that parents can be reassured that it's not "£170 and you can only build one thing with it?". But I've been trying more B models from sets of all sizes, and some are really well crafted, they look good and they're fun to play. And some are interesting models of things that would never be marketable for a flagship. :classic:

They're not universally good, I'm not naming some I didn't like because, eh, this is off-topic enough, and we're always about 3 posts away from this thread crashing in flames. But I do reckon that B models deserve a look. And I am intrigued what the crawler crane and Arocs B models will be. :wink:

Edited by andythenorth

I don't mind the B models, some of them are pretty awesome, but I'm the type of person that builds the A model and displays it/plays with it and hardly if at all ever dismantles them (I will be dismantling a few though to make D3k's 6x6 truck).

I just don't have the money to buy a second or third copy of the set to build and display the B model, effectively making it redundant for me at least

I sometimes really like the B-Model more and build and Display that instead of the A-Model like i did with 8070 and 8053. So related to the Topic: As far as known there will be a Flatbed for the Merc, any News on Crane B-Model?

I will split the B-model into a separate topic. This has nothing to do with the discussion.

This must be two of the best LEGO Technic sets EVER! What would I give to get a look inside of the Merc Arocs box :)

Don't start a new off topic discussion in an existing topic!

Hi Jim,

i think the Topic-Name is a bit missleading. I think noone is questioning a B-Model for small or mid Scale TLG-Sets.

What was questioned is the sense of an B-Model for the big and Flagship-Sets where you also not get the printed Instructios in the Box already.

Maybe you can Change it to "Why does TLG make B-models for Flagships?" or similar.

While the flagship B models are often lacking, they do provide inspiration for MODs, 42030 and 8285 b models were great for that.

Maybe the B model is published show people that the collection of parts is not limited to just one model.

I don't normally build the A models (I don't like following instructions) but when I do I will change the colour and a few details to make it more interesting.

I don't really understand why people buy a lego set then just display it. The models get dirty and sundamaged - It is a waste of parts that could be used for MOCing.

15697259934_6a553c697e_n.jpg8070 White by jamesjtillson, on Flickr

16133488599_c0569a8d9a_n.jpg8070b Black by jamesjtillson, on Flickr

42038b (in white and with wheels on a modified 42005 chassis)

16400368982_583a6a39c4_n.jpg42038b by jamesjtillson, on Flickr

Edited by JamesJT

Why waste parts on MOCs when they could be used to build and display sets.

If I dismantled all my built sets I would have far too many parts.

I grew up in the 80s, when Lego's motto was "A new toy everyday". When did it become "Just build this and watch it get dusty"?

I don't have anywhere I can really build MOCs, otherwise I would; I simply don't have the space to store and sort all the loose parts, or anywhere to sit and just build whatever comes to mind. Because of that most of my models stay on display, though I switch them out and dismantle them to make space for others occasionally; I don't especially have the time for MOCing either. And because of that, I find it great that we get B-Models in sets, of all sizes (especially flagships actually, they have the biggest parts selection and usually an equally interesting B-Model), because that gives me something else to build (I quite like Creator sets for that reason actually because they have 3 models, and they're often quite diverse and interesting).

Some of the best models I've built have been B-Models. 8460 had a knuckleboom crane truck which was more interesting than the A-Model IMO, and 8043 and 8258 both had great B-models too. I also recall a few years back on the Technic section of Lego's site, they had a casual poll running to gauge the popularity of B-models. IIRC a much larger percentage of people seemed to say they built them than did not.

Also, there's nothing saying you have to build B-models, so why complain about something that's essentially an added bonus if you're not bothered about it anyway? :tongue:

I don't understand when people are complaining about the B model instructions are not printed. I would complain if they was, since I think a lot of customers (not me) are only building the main model, I would consider a printed B model instruction a waste of resources. On the other hand if it was printed and included in the box, probably a lot more customers would build them.

One of my favourite B model is the 9396 helicopters twin rotor alternative.

I grew up in the 80s, when Lego's motto was "A new toy everyday". When did it become "Just build this and watch it get dusty"?

Eh, "we had too much money, too much equipment, and little by little, we went insane". :wink:

http://en.wikipedia....ural_references

In the 80s we were kids without disposable incomes. One large technic set in a year was a special gift. :classic:

Technic was for building with; there was no question of leaving anything assembled more than a few weeks. Last week's great MOC was this week's essential parts for something new. :classic:

I could say a lot more on this, but I'd probably end up falling off my soapbox:

• official sets are much bigger and more complex, there's a lot more sense of work put into the build, and eh, who'd want to repeat these long, often boring builds?
  • we have Bricklink, so parts are cheap and endless, no need to break up existing models to create something new
  • there is a collector mentality to some AFOLs that sees no value in rebuilding, this attitude is very visible in some online Lego communities, especially in any discussion about new sets (there are also acres of internet devoted to MOCs of course) :wink:
  • the idea of displaying Lego has transformed rapidly from being socially weird to being acceptable

Edited by andythenorth

This is true (primarily) in the Technic (and some Creator) themes only. It all started with the Universal sets where one has options to build whatever they wanted, and somehow TLG still 'uses' that concept. You'd note that in other sets (bionicle, chima, ...) there is never a mention of B models.

In fact, only my technic sets are disassembled and sorted in boxes and used in other contraptions. Other sets I have (City and else) are kept assembled and never messed with.

I always like building process more than playing or just looking at finished model. Especially when I was child I appreciated B models very much because they extended time spent on building twice. I was also asking why they don't release 3 in 1 or 5 in 1 or even 10 in 1 sets. So my opinion is that B models give extra value or bonus to set and show you that you can build something else with same bricks.