Thats all true, I was also very pessimistic about chances of this certain idea for succes (eventhough Yo Sub reduced the set for about 1/3 of the original size which you probably missed, still it was just big). And as I said, there is fairly high amount of reasons for TLG not to accept big projects, no matter what subject they represent. The less chances were for this hellicarrier just because of what you mentioned - I agree on all of that.

Still, I'm missing at least some message from TLG towards all the creators where all of this would be pointed out. (To be fair I have to say that they have a line in some description that ideas related to certain product line may not be accepted being in development already) Anyway, not everyone is able to consider stuff beyond what is officially stated and all of the encouraging official comments on big projects or brojects that extends existing product line are missleading. By the way, let me quote the first official comment on Hellicarrier:

Dear ysomt,

We’re not sure what to be more blown away by; the sheer size of this model, or that you’ve amassed over 5,000 votes in hardly a month’s time. Nicely done!

Keep in mind however that this project’s size far exceeds any set that The LEGO Group has ever produced. It would be helpful to us if you included an additional, smaller version of your model for consideration as a LEGO set.

Avengers, assemble (to 10,000 supporters)

Especially the last paragraph is... of course, there are no promisses or commitments, but it's encouraging and Yo responded on this by putting great ammount of work in designing much smaller version. Thats why I feel this might be a bit of injustice.

Edited by krisandkris12

^ The lego ideas people does not nesssecarily know anything about unannounced lego sets.

Same with legos costumer service reps.

Edited by deskp

I love this set, although not the price tag. I respectfully disagree with those expressing disappointment at the scale or the "trophy" micro-figs. I think it's a fantastic idea, and extraordinarily well executed by TLG designers. I see this as a UCS set much like the Star Wars line, and it will look amazing next to my SSD Executor. I'm looking forward to picking this up... as soon as I can scrape together some funding, although it'll probably come at the expense of the UCS Slave I.

My thoughts exactly. I will display this set just above my SSD Executor and forgo my plans to get the Slave I and Star Destroyer.

I was just thinking the same thing about hulk! I don't know if I'll end up getting this just because of the price point but I have to say I really love it! I would probably be a bit more upset about Maria Hill's head if I weren't dead sure that it was a reference to Cobie Smulders playing Wonder Woman in the Lego Movie. Everyone seems to have such bad things to say but I really lover this thing.

Still, I'm missing at least some message from TLG towards all the creators where all of this would be pointed out. (To be fair I have to say that they have a line in some description that ideas related to certain product line may not be accepted being in development already) Anyway, not everyone is able to consider stuff beyond what is officially stated and all of the encouraging official comments on big projects or brojects that extends existing product line are missleading. By the way, let me quote the first official comment on Hellicarrier:[/font]

Dear ysomt,

We’re not sure what to be more blown away by; the sheer size of this model, or that you’ve amassed over 5,000 votes in hardly a month’s time. Nicely done!

Keep in mind however that this project’s size far exceeds any set that The LEGO Group has ever produced. It would be helpful to us if you included an additional, smaller version of your model for consideration as a LEGO set.

Avengers, assemble (to 10,000 supporters)

Especially the last paragraph is... of course, there are no promisses or commitments, but it's encouraging and Yo responded on this by putting great ammount of work in designing much smaller version. Thats why I feel this might be a bit of injustice.

Somewhere back in the Blogs on Ideas (or previously CuuSoo) there were some posts regarding suggestions for presentation and making it through the review process. They don't give any hard rules regarding size, but do stress to keep any submissions reasonable. They encourage the creators to look at current retail product offerings to get a feel for what would be considered a viable ideas product. In short use common sense. They are not going to make anything bigger than what is currently being sold as an Ideas set.

I ask myself the same thing … + or is this published as ideas project or as normal Super Heroes UCS set? (Idon't think so) … a grand piano at the Friends grand hotel - Creator changing seasons … the UCS helicarrier. I know that Lego explicitly states that it might happen that the same idea is created by the designers in parallel - but 3 times. According to my opinion the lego fans that created that ideas and spend a lot commitment to gather support should at least get a picture in the construction manual and a free set or something (even if it would be the case that the designers had the same idea without knowing - It does proof that the fan's ideas were excellent), I mean that can't all be a coincidence….

This is published as a UCS Superheroes set under the Marvel license through the internal IP and licensing group. Not Ideas. The Ideas project only hit review a few weeks ago. A set like this takes over a year to develop in tandem with the licensing partner. So this was well into development and production long before the Ideas set was on anyone's radar. The Ideas set will fail review as a licensing conflict as did the Tumbler and Sandcrawler.

The set is gorgeous! I'm not into lego superheroes really, but this is just... Wow!

The price though... It'd be a no-brainer at $250, but $350? Not sure my wallet can stomach that.

If I do get it, I plan to SNOT it with tiles and mod the cockpit.

One giant set, 3000 pieces @ $0.10/piece + $50 licensing = $350

"Too expensive!"

Meanwhile in another thread on eurobricks...

Ten sets, 300 pieces @0.10/piece + $10/set licensing = $400

"Check out this amazing haul!"

:grin:

I'm not picking on anyone. I've been there. :blush:

I have only just realized how long this thing is, the pictures dont really make it seem colossal, But it is only 4cm shorter than the UCS falcon, 7cm longer than the orthanc tower (on its side), 22 longer than the 10198 Tantive IV, 32 longer than the sandcrawler, And double the length of the tumbler, It is also the same width as the Sandcrawler and 5cm higher (probably allowing for stand)

Edited by The Joker1

^Thats really good point out. True that neither pics nor the video display it looking that big. Just I'm quite sure that the 'same witdth as Sandcrawler' was was supposed to be rather same width as SC lenght :) SC is (only) 6 in wide.

^Thats really good point out. True that neither pics nor the video display it looking that big. Just I'm quite sure that the 'same witdth as Sandcrawler' was was supposed to be rather same width as SC lenght :) SC is (only) 6 in wide.

Oops my mistake, It is indeed as wide as the sandcrawler is long, Thanks for the correction :sweet: ,Often the set photography tries to overemphasize the true proportions of a set but this one for whatever reason hasnt done that, Once i get one I will do some comparison shots with the sandcrawler and tantiv iv (dont have the USC falcon :sadnew: ) and any other sets i have that may match.

Yeah only yesterday did I realise my self is 70cm by 35cm so too small.

Looking at the video in front of Marcos, it looks tiny. Not very impressive. I didn't measure it out in front of me, just estimated size. It does come off as small. I guess I'll need to actually measure it.

One giant set, 3000 pieces @ $0.10/piece + $50 licensing = $350

"Too expensive!"

Meanwhile in another thread on eurobricks...

Ten sets, 300 pieces @0.10/piece + $10/set licensing = $400

"Check out this amazing haul!"

:grin:

I'm not picking on anyone. I've been there. :blush:

I know you aren't exactly addressing me, but I think in my case, and a lot of others, it's more about spending $350 all at once as opposed to ten $40 sets over a year's time that makes it seem extra expensive.

That being said, the more I look at the preview pics, the more I realize this set falls into the same kind of "if I don't buy any other LEGO set for myself this year, I'm buying this" category that Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship SPACESHIP! fell into last year: I kinda missed the big Cargo ship from LEGO city, due to being in a dark age at the time, and I'm not letting this particular large ship/airship pass me by, no siree!

Edited by Hikaro Takayama

Good set, but it is much too big a set for my liking. Should have the exclusive figures put in smaller, more affordable lego set. Also shocked theres no Agent Coulson minifigure with this set.

Really cant understand the Normal MInifigures and MicroFigures!??!!! How these are going to look on the set?? dont think will be great match!

Really cant understand the Normal MInifigures and MicroFigures!??!!! How these are going to look on the set?? dont think will be great match!

They aren't meant to be used together (though of course LEGO is really for using however one likes). The minifigures are part of a little display that accompanies the Helicarrier, while the microfigures are actually part of the model.

Do they already sell the power functions set that would be used for this to make it light up?

I believe that THIS SET might be the one. Both for motorizing and lighting up.

The photos do seem to understate the size of this thing, but I thought the same about the Slave I; I watched the designer video and saw the box art, etc, and it looked good. Then I saw the display model at a LBR store and my jaw dropped: it was enormous!

I expect the same reaction here, as this ship looks big enough, but I expect that it will absolutely dominate the display window at my local store. And the neighboring stores as well.

I love the nanofigs, and hope Lego does this for more characters. It seems like lot of complaints about SH sets in general is that they always feel small, especially when in minifig scale (Avengers Tower, for example). That or only a small part of the model gets reproduced in a set (Hulk's Helicarrier breakout). With these tiny guys--with remarkable printing, I must say!--those giant builds like the Helicarrier become possible. I'm not saying I want minifigs to become a thing of the past, but if TLG occasionally made more nano-scale sets I would snatch them right up. IMO, having another scale of figs available opens up so many MOCing possibilities.

One final note on the 'illegal' build of the tiles held by clips: official sets have done this before (the SBSP set Heroic Heroes of the Deep springs to mind), but it is legal because they are tiles, not plates. That tiny groove at the bottom of tiles which allows you to remove them from other pieces has another purpose: it shaves off the corner of the piece just enough that it can fit into a clip. Plates cannot do this without stressing bricks, or worse, cracking them (I know this from sad experience), but tiles or any other piece with a "fingernail groove" do just fine. In this case, it's brilliant parts usage.

Hoping to be able to afford this, but with a house purchase in the works this year, I am not so sure. Although I suppose I my life would go on just fine without it (the Helicarrier that is, not the house).

The photos do seem to understate the size of this thing, but I thought the same about the Slave I; I watched the designer video and saw the box art, etc, and it looked good. Then I saw the display model at a LBR store and my jaw dropped: it was enormous!

I expect the same reaction here, as this ship looks big enough, but I expect that it will absolutely dominate the display window at my local store. And the neighboring stores as well.

I love the nanofigs, and hope Lego does this for more characters. It seems like lot of complaints about SH sets in general is that they always feel small, especially when in minifig scale (Avengers Tower, for example). That or only a small part of the model gets reproduced in a set (Hulk's Helicarrier breakout). With these tiny guys--with remarkable printing, I must say!--those giant builds like the Helicarrier become possible. I'm not saying I want minifigs to become a thing of the past, but if TLG occasionally made more nano-scale sets I would snatch them right up. IMO, having another scale of figs available opens up so many MOCing possibilities.

One final note on the 'illegal' build of the tiles held by clips: official sets have done this before (the SBSP set Heroic Heroes of the Deep springs to mind), but it is legal because they are tiles, not plates. That tiny groove at the bottom of tiles which allows you to remove them from other pieces has another purpose: it shaves off the corner of the piece just enough that it can fit into a clip. Plates cannot do this without stressing bricks, or worse, cracking them (I know this from sad experience), but tiles or any other piece with a "fingernail groove" do just fine. In this case, it's brilliant parts usage.

Hoping to be able to afford this, but with a house purchase in the works this year, I am not so sure. Although I suppose I my life would go on just fine without it (the Helicarrier that is, not the house).

Don't know where you live, but in many places (over the course of the past decade), Lego investment has had a far better return than investing in a house. :-)

The lighting and motor kits are 3 different products - power pack, motor and lights.

I don't trully catch what you meant to say :/ The set I'm linking is one set, including M-Motor, battery box, light cable, pole switch and some additional gears and joints. This set is usually reffered to in instructions for many lego models as the set you need to power up your model. Of course you can buy the elements one by one according to the supply. yet Chewybricks was asking for the set so I pointed him on this one.

Don't know where you live, but in many places (over the course of the past decade), Lego investment has had a far better return than investing in a house. :-)

Haha. If only the house wasn't kinda necessary for living ;)