I think they did a great job with the design overall. It has some neat functions. I think the scale is off with the microtrophies though. One looks too big to fit in the cockpit of the quinjet, and way too big for the forklift and gas truck...so technically they should have made a new even smaller mold OR made it even bigger..could you imagine the jump in price?

I think it hits home how it should look, but I think it looks a lot smaller than expected to. I don't know how big Marcos is, but it looked rather small on the table in front of him.

The printing on the microtrophies is well done. Interesting how Iron man is like the Comic Con version and not the official version...The minifigures is actually a plus. I won't feel compelled to not buy the set for the minifigures for once. This is a set that looks good as a set. Most Super Heroes sets are good for minifigures only. Interesting.

Also, the bottom has dark bley boat hull for pirate ships. I will be certainly looking for them in the after market...

And that mini quinjet looks great. So I will probably come away with bricklinking a few of them.

And it is odd that the tile in a 1x1 clip is now a legal technique. Maybe the new mold allows for it better?

While I understand the $350 price I guess I would feel better about it if it came in around $299. I mean if you compare this to say the Sandcrawler I am not sure if I think it is a set worth $50 more. Granted I think this will look neater on display then the giant brown shoebox that is the crawler but I guess I just expected more for $350.

I know it is hard to compare sets and that but looking at the Tumbler or the Death Star and even cheaper sets like the Ewok Village or the Slave I you have that WOW factor. I am just not getting that from this set which is troubling for me at least as I had planned to buy it but to spend $350 on something that doesn't make you immediately go Wow is something that makes you think twice. I have no issues with the set design or how it is built from what we see or the use of microfigs, I actually think it is a pretty nice looking set but it just doesn't have that woah look at that feeling.

I think for me it will come down to how it looks in person, I will go to my local store on the 17th and check it and I could be blown away by the size and details that I am just not getting from these pics. I know that other sets have done that for me and maybe this one will be the same.

The use of the tiles held by clips for the computer monitors and the yellow barriers is effective but surprising, I thought only minifugures were alowed to hold tiles?

Legions of kids, including myself, have been waiting for ages for a LEGO aircraft carrier. And now there is one which can fly. How cool is that!

Also, the bottom has dark bley boat hull for pirate ships. I will be certainly looking for them in the after market...

And it is odd that the tile in a 1x1 clip is now a legal technique. Maybe the new mold allows for it better?

The LEGO Doc always ripping my exact sentiments out of my head. That grey boat hull also caught my eye for some possible modern ship construction.

While I understand the $350 price I guess I would feel better about it if it came in around $299. I mean if you compare this to say the Sandcrawler I am not sure if I think it is a set worth $50 more. Granted I think this will look neater on display then the giant brown shoebox that is the crawler but I guess I just expected more for $350.

I know it is hard to compare sets and that but looking at the Tumbler or the Death Star and even cheaper sets like the Ewok Village or the Slave I you have that WOW factor. I am just not getting that from this set which is troubling for me at least as I had planned to buy it but to spend $350 on something that doesn't make you immediately go Wow is something that makes you think twice. I have no issues with the set design or how it is built from what we see or the use of microfigs, I actually think it is a pretty nice looking set but it just doesn't have that woah look at that feeling.

I think for me it will come down to how it looks in person, I will go to my local store on the 17th and check it and I could be blown away by the size and details that I am just not getting from these pics. I know that other sets have done that for me and maybe this one will be the same.

See to me these comparisons make perfect sense. That "wow" factor I also agree is an important element for gauging the higher ticketed items. Especially when your purpose for these sets are for display only. Although my initial response is negative I too have reversed my opinion in the past upon seeing the set on display in store, in person. I will not deny there is a chance the Helicarrier may sell me yet in that fashion.

I would love to buy this set (even if only to make it into some kind of minifig-scale ship), but I think it might be just a little bit out of my budget this year.

My main problem is that the Nick Fury figure is pretty bad - they didn't capture his trench coat very well at all.

I think it looks far better than I was expecting. I like the use of the microfigs to populate out a full nicely detailed control center is interesting and adds a great deal of depth to it as a display piece. I love the working rotors and the fact that it can be lit. I think it looks like a good size. Smaller than the SSD but still big enough to make a nice eye catching work. I'm a little curious exactly what the nitpickers were expecting? I can't see going much bigger being a really viable product? Ultmately the customer has to find someplace to park the durned thing, and wives start getting combative when the answer is "half the garage".

Also 5 regular minifigs is exactly what I was expecting. It seems to be pretty typical for the large ship type UCS builds. The lack of Coulson in this set probably means there are plans for him elsewhere someplace cheaper. Maybe we may yet see a Lola set at some point?

And there are some interesting pieces in this thing. Pirate fans will be thrilled to get the hulls in light bley. Those printed runways look amazing and are those new clip pieces holding up the screens in the command center?

Not intending to disrupt discussion about the set itself...

...are those new clip pieces holding up the screens in the command center?

I think they are using this piece:

15712.jpg

At the top, the following piece appears to be clipped into the above piece and the tile appears to be clipped into:

48729b.jpg

It is interesting indeed to see that the tile-in-clip connection is no longer illegal, though I suppose it is not a great surprise since the redesigned clip is similar to a minifigure hand (since this connection has been legal almost since the creation of the minifigure).

My main problem is that the Nick Fury figure is pretty bad - they didn't capture his trench coat very well at all.

I do agree that his pants should've been black. (He should also be the AoU version but that's another discussion...)

Like the set but Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much money for me at the minute so I'll have to pass on this one

Underwhelmed! This had so much potential and instead we get a halfway house model that shows a glimmer of what it could have been.

And I don't care if the sets not about the minifigs, Lego has chosen to include them and they are average at best.

And seriously overpriced too.

This looks like the perfect set for a father and son to build (and play) together. Unfortunately, I do not have a son... and will have to pass

I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a big impressive display piece. This just seems too much like an oversized playset to justify the $700 it would cost in New Zealand. Hopefully the minifigs won't cost too much on the aftermarket.

Really excited me at first seeing it but upon a closer inspection the fact it's really microfig scale makes me a little more meh about it. I realize if it was regular mini figure scale it would be more expensive though. Still, it is a damn cool set.

It's a good effort from LEGO but (ironically) it looks like it was designed to be a child's plaything with all that unnecessary micro-vehicles and microfigures.

A UCS set should be designed tailored to adult consumers and the Helicarrier doesn't do that.

It's bulky and it looks like it was designed in 2005 unfortunately :sceptic:

And Coulson's missing :sadnew:

Id display it without the mini jets, I think their placement makes the carrier look toyish. Im a big Avengers fan but $350 is a lot.

Regarding the decision about which figs to include with the set (both the micro-figs and regular minifigs) that may not have been 100% LEGO, Marvel likely had input into it and LEGO may not have been able to include the figs they wanted to (e.g. Bruce Banner or Hulk or Thor)

I think the new statue minifig is a big improvement over the previous minifigs. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of them. Antman will certainly have one in his upcomming set. Maybe we'll even see some DC minifig 'toys' included in the Ideas Big Bang Theory set as the original project included some oldstyle minifigs as decorations.

Personally, I'd love to see some sprite/fairy minifigs included in some fantsy Castle sets.