1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_3160.png

Hello everyone,

As I have recently done my last review on the 70752 Jungle Trap earlier, my second review of the new LEGO Ninjago 2015 will be featuring the second smallest set for the spring release. Well, I am certainly excited with this entire batch of release and it kind of reboot the interest and love that I had enjoyed for the Ninjago theme which I hope to continue to share more of these pictorial reviews in the future. IN this case, I am hoping to bring and share with you a fresh perspective if you are still undecided on this theme. Without further ado, let me continue with the highlights of this set.

Name: 70753 Lava Falls

Theme: LEGO System / Ninjago

Year: 2015

Pieces: 94

Minifigs: 2 minifigures

Price: USD N.A, GBP 7.99, EURO 9.99, SGD $14.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

Get the NINJAGO™ battle action bubbling at Lava Falls!

The action at the Tournament of Elements heats up as Cole battles Sleven above the molten lava pit. Attack with Cole’s staff and dodge Sleven’s thrusts with his huge stone blade. Defeat Sleven and dash across the bridge before it collapses to claim the Jade Blade! Includes 2 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Cole and Sleven.

• Includes 2 minifigures with assorted weapons and accessories: Cole and Sleven

• Lava pit features Jade Blade with holder, bridge with collapse function and flame elements

• Weapons include Cole’s staff and Sleven’s stone blade

• Accessories include Sleven’s skull helmet

• Cole is wearing his unique tournament outfit

• Duel with Sleven on the bridge

• Evade Sleven’s swishing stone blade

• Race across the bridge before it collapses!

• Grab the Jade Blade to complete Cole’s mission

• Recreate your favourite scenes from the NINJAGO Masters of Spinjitzu™ TV show

• Lava pit measures over 3” (10cm) high, 1” (4cm) wide and 5” (15cm) deep

An original box image of the 70753 Lava Falls

16177880849_5490407f24_o_d.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 70753 Lava Falls

16362358361_64d1f8d60a_o_d.jpg

Welcome to the next battle of Tournament of Elements!

16364097685_bd6e233795_o_d.jpg

This is the second smallest Ninjago set ever released for the Spring 2015. This set features the second dual of Tournament of Elements. As you can see in the earlier back view image of the original box set, you may have notice that the special weapon which is known as the Jade Blade is featured as weapon number 1. I haven't really watched the new cartoon TV series yet, but I think this might be the first actual dual to uncover the first weapon, instead of the 70752 Jungle Trap being the first. Either way, this set has started off with a brand new fighting arena and it is rather a hot fiery place to pit against each other though, for an earth-like ninja.

The content of the sealed box

16176714820_2d9b090ae8_o_d.jpg

The sealed box comes with two mint packages, a single orange plate 2x12, cross-axle 12cm rod and an instruction manual to guide the builder on to build up the set. After the built is completed, these are the remaining spare parts which include an additional black mini mask that I consider as an useful minifigure accessory. Going against the official advice by TLG after opening the packets, I will immediately placed and mixed all of the LEGO elements together.

The main characters - Cole and Sleven

16178205577_6b46580222_o_d.jpg

Let me introduce Cole and Sleven who are the two main minifigures characters in this set. The good side featured the calm serious looking earth-looking black ninja. His colour scheme of his tournament outfit remains true to his fundamental colour scheme since Cole's first appearance. From what I have observed so far, Cole is only available in this set. It might be possible that it can also appear in newer polybag designs later since some of his ninja counterparts have appeared in those polybags too. Cole is armed with a golden staff and he probably used it to hit the ground to create strong vibrations on the surface to knock his enemies off the ground.

The new evil henchman villain, is Sleven. He is an Anacrondrai soldier, similar to his fellow comrades. He is one of Master Chen's henchmen who has been transformed into a human-Anacrondrai hybrid. This minifigure has so far appeared in three sets including this, and the other two sets are 70747 Boulder Blaster and 70756 Dojo Showdown. Sleven's choice of weapon is the stone blade which is pretty extensive and big. He also wears the new standard snake craved helmet with the tattooed snake prints on the muscular body.

You can take a closer look at their outfits without their weapons attached and if you are interested to see what is beneath Cole's appearance, you can look at here. There are also back-printing behind their bodies as well which add good deals onto the character designs.

The completed built of Lava Falls

16176710910_19506d2f64_o_d.jpg

This is the completed built of the Lava Falls. It is a battle arena on a shaky bridge above a molten lava pit. Sounds too hot, and unable to afford to make a mistake. The playability feature is certainly the bridge which will allow the builder to pull away the bridge from a red lever hidden beneath and it will cause the minifigure to attempt by running very fast away from danger or prepare to face the fall into the bottomless pit. I will also be showing a simple short video clip on the nice and fun playable function as it make use one of the uncommon parts to form the four connecting planks together. There is nothing too complicated except at the end of it, where the Jade Blade reside for the winner to acquire. You can take a moment to view the different details from the left side view, right side view and back view.

Cole climbing up the steps to reach his challenge

16178200187_4fbd729871_o_d.jpg

Watch out for the incoming action happening on the wooden bridge

16177884369_f93e1cd4fd_o_d.jpg

You have fallen into the molten lava pit

16176477098_1205e4a6ff_o_d.jpg

I am holding the Jade Blade in my possession

16362360961_7768d87249_o_d.jpg

To conclude, this is a small decent enjoyable playset which is a good play setting for the children to play duel scenes. Well, I gotten this set is because I wanted to get the minifigures in the first place. Then, I find the collapsing bridge a very simple and yet fun playing feature which I appreciate much.

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (The playing feature of the collapsing bridge is a fun simple and effective function.)

Design: 8/10 (Despite the limited amount of bricks, I felt the takeaway design is overall above average as it feature this tiny battle scene.)

Price: 9/10 (Price wise is much reasonable and it also include decent amount of bricks and parts.)

Overall: 8.3/10 (Very nice set to play with and it can probably be a good low budget Ninjago set to begin with, if you are unsure.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr.

Excellent review per us Whitefang! :thumbup: Thankfully, this year I am focusing on only small sets and this one has charm to it. Reminds of old sets with a similar play function, like orient expedition and knights kingdom

I purchased this one recently, it has such a great play-feature! After flick-fire missiles and simple see-saw flippers in the last few smaller Ninjago sets, I love this. Using the catapillar tracks as a falling bridge is just fantastic isn't it?

Excellent review per us Whitefang! :thumbup: Thankfully, this year I am focusing on only small sets and this one has charm to it. Reminds of old sets with a similar play function, like orient expedition and knights kingdom

Indeed it is. The playability is definitely similar to Orient Expedition.

I purchased this one recently, it has such a great play-feature! After flick-fire missiles and simple see-saw flippers in the last few smaller Ninjago sets, I love this. Using the catapillar tracks as a falling bridge is just fantastic isn't it?

The caterpillar tracks was also found only in the Ultra Sonic Raider and this is the second time it has appeared. I agreed that using that parts as the falling bridge works very well.

A nice set, I might get it just for the figs and some nice parts.

You are a space guy. :tongue:

You are a space guy. :tongue:

If I was buying only space sets, I wouldn't buy much... :look:

One question, when the bridge has collapsed, does pushing the axle put it back in place or do you have to do it manually?

If I was buying only space sets, I wouldn't buy much... :look:

One question, when the bridge has collapsed, does pushing the axle put it back in place or do you have to do it manually?

It also means other stuff interest you. :tongue:

I have a short video clip in the review. Do take a look. Once I pull the red axle out, the bridge will collapse. It will reverse the collapse effect when I push the red axle back. It is a very fun playing feature for a built set.

It also means other stuff interest you. :tongue:

I have a short video clip in the review. Do take a look. Once I pull the red axle out, the bridge will collapse. It will reverse the collapse effect when I push the red axle back. It is a very fun playing feature for a built set.

I'm interrested in all forms of Lego :wink: ... but I build Sci-Fi...

Oh I didn't played the video :hmpf_bad: ... I feared that by pushing the axle it would be stuck inthe shapes of a thread piece, but that works very well. :classic:

Again a nice little playset ! This year lego did a really good work about the small sets of ninjago ! :sweet:

4/5 for me !

Edited by Arkanta974

Thanks again 'Fangy' for a cool review.......this one has an original play feature which is ultra COOL it's hot ! :grin:

Brick On Review On 'Fangy' ! :grin:

A nice review, but the useful parts link is the wrong one. The link you have is the one for your other recent Ninjago review.

Thanks guys! I am glad you like the playability as much as I do. :sweet:

A nice review, but the useful parts link is the wrong one. The link you have is the one for your other recent Ninjago review.

Thank you for pointing it out. I have removed the wrong content.

I'm tempted to buy a second and try to double the bridge size. hmmm. Has anyone tried this?

That bridge looks slightly phallic, and you want to double the size. ;) ;)

Sorry in advance, no offense meant.

Andy D

fine set and review...simply I like when some of LEGO designers are able making really interesting almost minimalistic like concept/set with only a few bricks in the actual box that it is almost wonder that they were really able to do it :thumbup: now that is what I cal geniality... :wink:

I like this! I may even buy it. ~The bridge play feature is just cool. For some reason I feel it works with some of the "Elves" sets. Azari would approve of the lava!