AndroTech

42042 - Crawler Crane - General Discussion

What do you think can be modified with this set to carry heavy cargo? And even with a 1-meter boom?

Also, suspension. Is it possible?

This set would go well with the wrecking ball attachment in 9457.

Edited by XAxles

Can any set carry heavy loads? i did make my Unimog lift itself though using an L-motor and a 24 tooth gear.

I'm very glad with how the gearbox works; the less I have to deal with the battery box switch, the better.

To avoid having the L-motor running non-stop making noise, what about connecting a PF switch between the BB and the motor?

So that you turn on the BB and use the switch to turn on the motor only when you want it to run, so to speak.

Obviously it would be a 1-way operation as with the BB the way the gearbox works anyway, but it sounds like a possible arrangement to me.

You mean so that the PF switch is activated by the gearbox levers, turning the motor on whenever you select a function? That's a clever idea. I Guess it would have to use a cam system to move the switch only one way regardless of which lever you moved or which way you moved the lever.

You mean so that the PF switch is activated by the gearbox levers, turning the motor on whenever you select a function? That's a clever idea. I Guess it would have to use a cam system to move the switch only one way regardless of which lever you moved or which way you moved the lever.

#sorryformybadenglish on

You do not necessarily need a cam that move the switch lever in 1 way only. You can have the gears that work in the same direction no matter how you engage a gearbox lever, and then the reverse is made with the PF switch (which would be the opposite of 42042 where the reverse is made with gears : if you look closely, you can see that there is 1 additionnal gear (tan 20t) on one side so that the functions work in the opposite direction).

It could make things easier, but I can see 2 limits in connecting the changeover catch axles to 1 PF switch.

a) technically, it would mean that you can activate all motorized functions at once. If you engage all functions, the model will not work (even an XL would be too weak), and worse, you might damage some parts. On 42042 we have 2 boxes precisely to prevent the user from engaging more than 2 functions at once.

b) if the PF switch is connected to the changeover catch axleS, then you can not engage functions in opposite direction.

In other words, the model would be reliable and safe with 1 switch per gearbox. It is kind of an expensive setup, isn't it ?

(it would still not be safe as the user would still be able to activate all the functions at the same time)

#sorryformybadenglish off

What I mean is that you use the PF-switch to turn the motor on when you want to power a function, instead of using the BB on/off switch letting the motor run all the time.

This since using the PF switch makes movement of turning on the motor easier, with less friction. At least the switch I have has much less friction than the BB switch.

I hope this makes it more clear.

I'm planning to get this set, and if I do, I'll add my PF switch to the setup as explained and see how it works out.

I didn't want to wait for the retail version, so I made my own in a slightly different colour.

3 out of the 4 functions are working, roation has a problem somewhere.

Option 1: take it apart and start over. ( :hmpf_bad: other things come first)

Option 2: wait 2 weeks and buy and build the retailset. ( :sweet: most likely)

It's a bit of a WIP, need to change some beams and add a black string.

42042-top.jpg

Don't have enough red panels so I improvised a bit.

42042-detail.jpg

Very good... red color is also not bad... How did you make it? Instructions are not public yet... Did you make it only based on images? Did you use also new clutches etc. ?

Max...

I didn't want to wait for the retail version, so I made my own in a slightly different colour.

3 out of the 4 functions are working, roation has a problem somewhere.

Option 1: take it apart and start over. ( :hmpf_bad: other things come first)

Option 2: wait 2 weeks and buy and build the retailset. ( :sweet: most likely)

It's a bit of a WIP, need to change some beams and add a black string.

Don't have enough red panels so I improvised a bit.

Funny how people like you says "I coudnl't wait for building it"....but only building it when Lego comes out with these sets.....

Guess what? Lego is about creativity...you could have done it before than Lego did....maybe 5 years ago....or 10 years ago.... :wink:

Funny how people like you says "I coudnl't wait for building it"....but only building it when Lego comes out with these sets.....

Guess what? Lego is about creativity...you could have done it before than Lego did....maybe 5 years ago....or 10 years ago.... :wink:

I'm still in my learning phase, started with Technic about 18 months ago.

A model like this (especially the drivetrain) is too complex for me to build without instructions/example.

Chris no problem... the most important is that you have got a fun by building and satisfaction when it's finished... You can make it better anytime... I like it... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

I'm still in my learning phase, started with Technic about 18 months ago.

A model like this (especially the drivetrain) is too complex for me to build without instructions/example.

Fair enough, but don't forget that there isn't just one way of doing thing...so my message is don't be afraid of trying to build something! If doesn't work just start again! Believe me is not a critic....but it's really funny because you could have waitied 2 weeks to build the real one and "learn" from it. :blush:

Very good... red color is also not bad... How did you make it? Instructions are not public yet... Did you make it only based on images? Did you use also new clutches etc. ?

Max...

Part images, part video. I used the new clutches but an old turntable.

I've built mine a few days ago too.

I used the brickbuilder's speed build video as the main source of instruction.

Like TechniChriS's version, only 3 of the 4 PF functions work because of lacking the new turntable.

Did not try to make it work since it will be broken down soon :laugh:

Used the old clutch parts instead of the new ones, and the half unit building requirement shows the value of new parts very well.

224414sy7e3fzqr3hcq5r3.jpg

224451c5r0gjbzgk0ohjvr.jpg

Couldn't stick to one color because was building Sheepo's GREAT mustang at the same time.

224715ppnnh5cmnn6m5sqg.jpg

The mustang was completed a few days later and absolutely love it! :wub:

213844fje9ev2j4f88isvz.jpg

I went to Lego store in Liverpool and surprise - they had it in stock. Got one and can't wait to build it :)

Just picked up the Crawler crane on Amazon for £91, can't believe they are discounting before it's even officially launched?

Just picked up the Crawler crane on Amazon for £91, can't believe they are discounting before it's even officially launched?

I got mine from Amazon for £85 and free shipping!! :sweet: :sweet: :sweet: £25 off before official release!

I bought 2 of these 42042's last week, one for main model, one for alternate. My issue is I want to build the tower crane version, and followed the link on the back of the box like always I find no b-model instructions, yet I've seen them, along with the main model ones posted on Lego's website before official release dates, and really its like 4 days before release and so many places already have this item in stock. I also went to the technic.lego.com site, and not only is it confusing now, haven't been there in a long time, but all I can find is digital app instructions for tablets. I just want the standard old pdf files you have always been able to download. Are these a thing of the past now?

I hope not, main reason I picked this one up was for the tower crane, but the crawler crane is great as well. If anybody has a link for me to follow for instructions, if available, I'd really appreciate it. I know this was an issue for one other set if I recall correct, the 9397 Logging Truck's b-model plow from 2012, but I believe a member here really prodded Lego into allowing those instructions to be posted.

IMO, I think this crane and its tower crane version have been a long time coming as a competitor the long coveted 8288, and have in many ways surpassed the 8288.

Thanks in advance. I'm on business so this is the first real computer I've been able to do recreational browsing on. Hopefully when I return in a week or so, maybe I'll find an answer. In the meantime I'm going to copy down the exact topic name so I can look again. Sometimes cellphones just aren't the greatest thing for fast, easy browsing, at least mine isn't.

If you want blue sprocket wheels to go with the original blue livery then there are 4 in set 70731 Ninjago Jay Walker One.

Mark