AndroTech

42042 - Crawler Crane - General Discussion

I bought and built my 42042 yesterday, of course I got some parts left, bushes and pins as usual but also a 16 long link.

Got it for Christmas!!! Built it in a little over 2 hours. Great build, haven't gotten a new set in a while and forgot about some of those new parts. I'm not going to be modifying it anytime soon, definitely in the future though!! Hope you all had a great holiday!!

Got it for Christmas!!! Built it in a little over 2 hours. Great build, haven't gotten a new set in a while and forgot about some of those new parts. I'm not going to be modifying it anytime soon, definitely in the future though!! Hope you all had a great holiday!!

2 hours, wow... I seem to remember 42039 taking me 5-6 hours (spread over a few days because kids..), and 75106 also took me 3-4 hours

I've had it or a couple of months and it's a great set, I have been thinking about putting rubber studs on the tracks for extra traction.

bad news I've looked at part 14149 and it would cost almost £65 or €80 to stud out the tracks or 2/3 of the cost of the set (never mind)

Edited by ctx1769

2 hours, wow... I seem to remember 42039 taking me 5-6 hours (spread over a few days because kids..), and 75106 also took me 3-4 hours

I was impressed with myself. Definetely the fastest instruction build I have ever done

Edited by aminnich

42042 - 4009 mix and match mod

decided mashed the cranes together,

the 42009 on the 42042 tracks looks ace, all functions still works, the stabilisers switch for the 42009 now powers the tracks

post-151845-0-29943300-1451154350_thumb.jpg

I must say that the 42009 looks good on the crawler tracks of the 42042, it looks well balanced, and just the right size

42042 - 42009 mix and match mod

the 42009 on the 42042 tracks looks ace, all functions still works, the stabilisers switch for the 42009 now powers the tracks

Welcome to Eurobricks... Quite a first post!

Both the 42009 and the 42042 look great. I guess this is more possible because of only one function going rough the turntable.

Great MOD

I'm just starting my 42042 today, looks like it may take me 6 to 8 hours over 3 or 4 days.

Happy New Year,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

To the guys that are making the boom longer, can the crane still lift the boom? Mine seems to struggle with the optional boom peice.

To the guys that are making the boom longer, can the crane still lift the boom? Mine seems to struggle with the optional boom peice.

Im pretty sure the guy who did the huuuuuge boom also changed gear ratios for raising the boom early on

Im pretty sure the guy who did the huuuuuge boom also changed gear ratios for raising the boom early on

that's right, I originally swapped the 20t and 12t gear around to give both winches more torque, however in it's current form I have added an extra L motor running in parallel with the gearing as it came standard, but the boom winch has 4 pullies on each end instead of 2 as the 42042 comes standard, with this set up it will raise the 180Cm boom with a 100 gram load from flat without to much trouble and at a reasonable speed, in fact the limiting factor for the boom winch being able to hoist the boom is that even with two full battery boxes, two IR remotes and two full soda cans as counterweight, the crane either tips over, or the turntable separates from to much weight, after my next round of mod's, it will no longer be a 42042 mod, but rather a crawler crane MOC, as the entire sub and superstructure will be redesigned to allow a large slew ring to be added around the turntable along with RC for for all functions

Edited by ttoks

42042 - 4009 mix and match mod

post-151845-0-29943300-1451154350_thumb.jpg

Lol...... I like it. Now you have some work to do. I want to see an exchange with......42006, 8288, 8043, 8421...... :classic:

Welcome to Eurobricks... Quite a first post!

Both the 42009 and the 42042 look great. I guess this is more possible because of only one function going rough the turntable.

Great MOD

I'm just starting my 42042 today, looks like it may take me 6 to 8 hours over 3 or 4 days.

Happy New Year,

Andy D

Thanks for the feed back,

you should fly at the 42042,

it great to look at, but dose what to tip over when lifting,

next I might mod it in a pile diver, or use pneumatics to create my own 8043

Finished bags 1 yesterday, very fun build, interesting the way it works.

Finished the bags 2 today, that gearbox is very interesting, I will study it quite a bit before continuing with the rest of the build. So far I have powered it up and I can see what controls what output. There is a lot to learn from this gearbox! I hope to incorporate some of the ideas in future MOCs.

Oh well, bags 3 tomorrow!

Happy New Year,

Andy D

This is a very nice and new solution. I dont understand why TLG did not make driving the tracks independently. The solution with the levers is great for that, because it might be possible to steer the tracks. Thats great for MOC's. Cut the rotation and bring the function to the second track,

this is not new - here you will find a superb small excavator MOC from Jan 2014 which uses exactly this operating principle: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=90485&hl=+hydraulic%20+excavator&st=5

AFAIK TLG has done this long long ago (but not in a far away galaxy ;-) in the B-model of the 8480 space shuttle... i have no clue why they haven't brought this design to the table again until 2015

Hello, i made a MOD of this crawler, it's a full RC:

1 L for each track

1 XL for the arm

1 L for the ascent / descent of the clamp

1 XL for rotation

1 M for the clamp

"+" :

everything is controlled remotely :D

"-" :

limits the opportunities to play several RC set (4 chanel remote :( )

Pictures:

mini_413010IMG20151229151736.jpg

mini_455290IMG20151229151837.jpg

mini_922601IMG20151229152319.jpg

mini_544888IMG20151229152336.jpg

mini_163872IMG20151229152354.jpg

mini_730273IMG20151229152406.jpg

mini_451254IMG20151229152415.jpg

mini_658227IMG20151229152429.jpg

someone on youtube named sean ccc made this motorized without any motors showing

This might not be do-able but can you not run the guy lines from the boom head instead of half way up the boom?

Finished building my 42042 today. I was right, it took me about 8 hours over 4 build days. Overall a very fun build. I learned/relearned lots of techniques. The gearbox is very interesting, after it was complete I put a motor on it and spent quite a bit of time studying it, I plan to do the same when I disassemble the model.

Overall I really enjoyed it. The functions (for the most part) work very well. The boom elevation function and raising an lowering the claw work very smoothly, very nice.

The rotation is pretty good, but not quite as smooth as the boom and claw string functions.

The track function (mobility) is very rough, kind of klunk, klunk, klunk... I hope this is not typical of tracked models as I have an idea for a tracked MOC. I assume that most of the klunking is just gear backlash.

Overall I like the model and I will study it for awhile before I disassemble for parts.

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D