AndroTech

42042 - Crawler Crane - General Discussion

In all such types of machines, isn't the cab supposed to be on the left side? Or is that the UK/Australia/HK version?

Nah mate, we still have the cabs on the left side of the body.

If I end up getting this set, I will build it mirrored with the cab on the left side.

It looks strange to me with the cab on the right side, but I guess I'm just not used to it.

Looking forward to this set. For 1401 pieces the price is very good. It's 114-120 euro's in the Netherlands.

Too bad there's isn't a possibility of turning the crane on the tracks. Is there a solution for a third joystick only for steering by using the same motor?

Probably a dumb question, but I know in the past 2H Technic was released either around end of June/start of July or first of August. I skimmed a lot of the posts on this thread but didn't really come up with anything. Seems USA and Canada seem to get a lot of items delayed when they have been released 1H overseas. Examples, 42039 Lemans Car, 42036 Motorcycle. 2014 was unbelievable and I know I'm not alone here, I can name about a half dozen sets that we're available in January overseas that we didn't see over here until last summer 2H release, which meant stores like TRU we're jammed with still some of the 2013 stock, plus all the sets we didn't get over here.

All that said, I am looking forward to Crawler Crane immensely, and just wondering if anyone knows when the release date might be? End of July we got a ton of the 2H items here, but after Christmas it was kind of a bust. TRU's stopped carrying the 42009 and 42030 which had just been released a few months earlier.

Just thought I'd ask...

Edited by DarkShadow73

Too bad there's isn't a possibility of turning the crane on the tracks. Is there a solution for a third joystick only for steering by using the same motor?

If I get one I will probably try to modify it so that instead of going forwards/backwards it will go forwards/turn in place. I think it can be done quite simple by driving the tracks by a differential and making one of the tracks move in only one direction by using a ratchet.

The easiest thing to do is to have 1 M for each track, and to rotate the superstructure manually.

And it would certainly make the model easier to control / play with.

I don't understand why the model is not designed like that...

If you accept manual functions the easiest steering solution is to not modify it at all and just (manually) push it around until it points in the preferred direction...

If you accept manual functions the easiest steering solution is to not modify it at all and just (manually) push it around until it points in the preferred direction...

Denied. dok38.gif?f-ed=1

a) Pushing a model with tracks is a pain. It often slips. Driving it is more convenient.

b) If you drive the wheels in opposite directions and hold the superstructure in the same time, you can make to chassis rotate on itself. That's nice, and very convenient sometimes.

I can not see any avantages in motorising superstructure and having both tracks linked. It is not intuitive at all.

Just consider the superstructure : the lever controlling that function is located on the superstructure. This means that when you engage it, the model reacts like if it were out of control. Indeed, the levers are rotating with it.

If the turntable isn't geared in some way via a worm drive (which would be really slow and tedious to play with) the torque of the drive shaft powering the tracks could cause the upper structure to rotate. I'de say it was fine as it is but if you want to improve it then a ratchet system for one of the tracks would be the best way IMHO, or if you want to over complicate things a direction sensitive switcher like the one used in the 8094 control center crane model might be a useful concept. Here's a link to Blakbirds technicopidia page of the model. scroll down to model 4:

http://technicopedia.com/8094.html

Now, instead of having the two outputs of the direction sensitive switcher going to two different functions, have them both going to the left track. Gear both outputs together so that whichever way the input turns, the output turns the same direction. send that output to the left track. Then send another drive to the right track that by-passes the direction sensitive switcher so that it will change direction with the input. Is that clear as mud?

Edited by allanp

If I get one I will probably try to modify it so that instead of going forwards/backwards it will go forwards/turn in place. I think it can be done quite simple by driving the tracks by a differential and making one of the tracks move in only one direction by using a ratchet.

Can you please explain further? You mean you block the left or right drivetrain, which will turn the crane? I wonder if the plastic tracks don't slip, which will cause the crane not to turn.

Can you please explain further? You mean you block the left or right drivetrain, which will turn the crane? I wonder if the plastic tracks don't slip, which will cause the crane not to turn.

When I use one track to turn my 8043 it turns with the center of rotation in the middle of the stopped track, and it turns equally good on a hardwood floor as on a smooth carpet. I haven't tested on a thick carpet (and I'm not keen on using my Lego outside), so I don't know how it works when the surface friction is higher.

I expect a modified crane to work the same way, it could be heavier than 8043 though, which probably would make turning harder.

The obvious downside with my solution is that the crane will only turn in one direction, left or right, and it can't go in reverse. This can be solved by using ratchets on both tracks and controlling them manually. What I like about it is that there is no modification needed to the superstructure; you don't have to alter the gearbox or anything like that.

When I use one track to turn my 8043 it turns with the center of rotation in the middle of the stopped track, and it turns equally good on a hardwood floor as on a smooth carpet. I haven't tested on a thick carpet (and I'm not keen on using my Lego outside), so I don't know how it works when the surface friction is higher.

I expect a modified crane to work the same way, it could be heavier than 8043 though, which probably would make turning harder.

The obvious downside with my solution is that the crane will only turn in one direction, left or right, and it can't go in reverse. This can be solved by using ratchets on both tracks and controlling them manually. What I like about it is that there is no modification needed to the superstructure; you don't have to alter the gearbox or anything like that.

Thanks for explaining. When the time is there we both own this set, i will have a look at your solution. :classic:

I love the look of this model.

Will definitely be getting it when it's released.

yup...deffo getting this before the merc, i just love the design and colour scheme...its a bigger and better 8043

yup...deffo getting this before the merc, i just love the design and colour scheme...its a bigger and better 8043

Bigger and better than 8043?? LOL they are 2 completely different things......although you can't even compare them I would say that 8043 it's way better!

A tall boom doesn't mean "bigger" to me...

Bigger and better than 8043?? LOL they are 2 completely different things......although you can't even compare them I would say that 8043 it's way better!

A tall boom doesn't mean "bigger" to me...

Not to mention that 42042 isn't RC. That's a pity if you ask me, though the set does look pretty great.

after watching this vid i was really hoping would would see some 1x13 beams in blue...as they are very rare and hard to come by now, especially brand new.

sucks....but the strings look super long!...i wonder if they are a brand new length?...or reusing the string from 42009?

cracking set!....a must buy.

My interest in this set has not become any less after this video.

Does anyone know what the part number of the new turn table is? I'm gathering the parts for an 8043 Excavator and this would be a good test of this design.

Edited by Karle

I would assume that you can not simply replace the old turntable with the new one in the 8043 without changing the design of the slewing mechanism because the old One has 56 teeth whereas the new one has 60 IIRC...

Edited by Kumbbl

If they are still using an 8 tooth gear to turn it then I am assuming that the only result would be a reduction in rotational speed, a good thing. I'll let you know when it's built.

I would assume that the Diameter of the New one is slightly bigger so it would not fit....