Seems like there are more than 2 revisions made to the instructions.

As mentioned here before, 2x red long pins appear out of nowhere.

Also if im not mistaken at page 256~ 2 blue pins appear.

Instructions also are weak at some points, i.e when you are building the rear axle, theres a part you build asyymetrical with 3x 3L LBG axels and 1x 4L black axel, instructions are not clear on how to position the black one.

Hoses got me confused at some point, if you build as the instructions show, you end up with stuck and bend ones so you have to re-route some.

Set has some missing parts,

3x Red long pins

1x 7L black liftarm

I was pretty shocked as 1x LBG panel was missing too. A first for me.

Anyways, was the best building experience on a flagship set so far.

Completed building just over 9 hours. With a little help. :P

20216386090_0b5d7e0895_b.jpg

20216386400_c0d88a9714_b.jpg

Edited by ancestral

9 hours ?

It took me 7 hours for step 1. The only excuse I have : first time ever I build Technic.

BTW, what a wonderful cat !

9 hours ?

It took me 7 hours for step 1. The only excuse I have : first time ever I build Technic.

BTW, what a wonderful cat !

After some months/years (depends on how often you build) you get the basics and figure out what part you are building even when you open the bags. My advice, just build. :) Modding by trial and error also helps.

It's a bad thing because you build autonomously and often make mistakes. For example the asymmetrical build i mentioned above, i tried building with 4x 3L LGB axels first and figured something is wrong after 8-10 pages, as it was not clearly shown in instructions.

Thank you.

I wished that i build a bit slower. When it is done, it done. Modding starts but that is something different. I am building with my son, a 2 year old, and it is going verry slow but just the cab and we are readdy. We started 8 days a go.

I wished that i build a bit slower. When it is done, it done. Modding starts but that is something different. I am building with my son, a 2 year old, and it is going verry slow but just the cab and we are readdy. We started 8 days a go.

Agreed.

But cannot build over days, as i don't have a dedicated room for LEGO, every time i stop building i have to gather up the leftovers/unopened bags.

Not the cat you see in the pics but we have another one and he seems to be feeding on ABS, not cat food. You turn your back and oops, he eats a 1x1 round plate.

And Arocs has tasty silicone hoses, you know what i mean.

I understand. We are having 3 cats. I also build in the living room and put every thing high away.

Sorry on topic.

I will try to change the springs for airsuspension. Is this allready done? Don't think so.

Time taken to build a set depends on a lot of things, and tiredness is a big one. If I do get 42043 I don't think I'll be able to build it in one day unless I am very wide awake and have lots of coffee beside me.

It took me most of today to build 42042 and it's because I was very tired and kept making silly mistakes, not paying attention to the instructions. I'm an experienced Technic builder but I'm also inclined to rush, which doesn't bode well for this set LOL.

It's possible that I'll buy 42009 before I buy this because I'm looking for parts to begin with, and the crane sure has a lot of parts!

I understand. We are having 3 cats. I also build in the living room and put every thing high away.

Sorry on topic.

I will try to change the springs for airsuspension. Is this allready done? Don't think so.

I dont think its done, never seen it. Air suspension will work on front but as rear axle has been designed to look as close as original (leaf suspension) you may have some hard times figuring out how.

Hard to have mutliple driveshafts and you cannot have much gear as spring ones. You have to anchor each axel at 2 or 3 points and this takes room.

Time taken to build a set depends on a lot of things, and tiredness is a big one. If I do get 42043 I don't think I'll be able to build it in one day unless I am very wide awake and have lots of coffee beside me.

It took me most of today to build 42042 and it's because I was very tired and kept making silly mistakes, not paying attention to the instructions. I'm an experienced Technic builder but I'm also inclined to rush, which doesn't bode well for this set LOL.

It's possible that I'll buy 42009 before I buy this because I'm looking for parts to begin with, and the crane sure has a lot of parts!

42009 is great for parts.

You can add Volvo for motors, especially servo.

And then maybe Arocs.

These 3 should cover most MOCs for beginners. Talking construction of course.

Well the MOC I'm planning is a forklift and I don't want it to be yellow... mostly I'm buying for gears, liftarms and powerfunctions parts, and both 42009 and 42043 are great candidates. My only problem is that I don't really care for pneumatics but that may change if I get 42043.

Any idea why the model use the cardan ball and cardan cup in the axle that links the rear wheels with the inline engines instead of the universal joint? I can't see any difference since they both appear to do the same thing.

Any idea why the model use the cardan ball and cardan cup in the axle that links the rear wheels with the inline engines instead of the universal joint? I can't see any difference since they both appear to do the same thing.

That's almost true, but the piece on the cardan ball joint can slide on the axle. On the Arocs, when the suspension moves, the driveshaft length changes a little big, which could cause binding, but not if the shaft is slightly telescopic. Basically, the piece is there instead of a universal joint because the driveshaft needs to change lengths a little bit.

As an aside, the rubber pieces in the rear suspension are there because when the suspension is at rest, the suspension arms are not quite in line with the holes on the beam, so the have to be offset by a quarter stud, and this distance changes as well. The rubber bearings allow those pieces to move, but keep them in position.

Also, as I was building the set, I found it handy to have a ruler and a multitool with needle nose pliers, for getting the hoses in the crane in to position.

Save the best for last as they say, I opened up mine only to grab the thick manual and recreate the tipper body in LDD and I came up with a significantly taller tipper body, it recalls the image posted in TechnicBRICKS from a few months back when speculations surfaced about the 42043, I think it's more appealing a looks more realistic. I made 2 files, 1 with the complete modifications and the other a breakdown of what I'll need to integrate those modifications when I start building mine.

Edited by MrPaulo23

OMFG!

Reached page 446 after 6 days of building in the evenings. I just found out that I must have used a dark grey 7L beam instead of a red one somewhere in the build :wacko: :wacko:

OMFG!

Reached page 446 after 6 days of building in the evenings. I just found out that I must have used a dark grey 7L beam instead of a red one somewhere in the build :wacko: :wacko:

There are only six 7L red beams, all easy accessible. Two in the outriggers, two in the first crane section and two in the clamshell. Should be no problem to fix!

At least you didn't put the wrong part into a section difficult to access :laugh: that's a pain if you have to disassemble half the mode or so to change the part.

Why do the two front wheels have some sort of disks inside them, in both the Lego model and in the real truck?

Wheel cover?

But the rear wheels don't have them?

Well, thats how it is with real trucks also. Most of em has covers for steering wheels only.

Most of those covers in Europe are use to protect the wheel nuts on the front wheels from damage from curbs and obstacles.

This is because the hubs stick out of the rims.

I just finished building this set. All I can say is WOW!!!

Here's my take on it:

Building experience - 10/10

I built all 6 assemblies first before final assembly. I spread it out over a couple days to fully appreciate the build. It never felt redundant. I did the crane last. I cut a few pneumatic hoses so that I had a cleaner look for a finished product. I also rigged a stop in the front of it to hold the crane in a fixed position while adding all the hoses. This made it easier to guide all the hoses through the turntable.

Final look - 9/10

The attention to detail on the front of this truck is exceptional! Looking at the final product, the wheels and tires look great compared to seeing the pictures. If I had any complaint, it would be the crane being too high above the cab. Also, it would have been nice if the crane folded up like on 8258. This may be a mod I try to it.

Playability - 9/10

Everything works smoothly as designed by Lego. I took my time after every step to ensure all gears worked smoothly during assembly, and that the crane will rotate smoothly from lock to lock. I did add a second pneumatic cylinder to the clamp. Operation of it opening and closing work much better than in the videos I watched with only 1 cylinder. The new battery box is great with the switch being easier to change direction of the motor. Thank you Lego!

Final thoughts - Lego really nailed this truck on the head!! It definitely goes to the top of my favorite list, right next to 8285 and 8258. If you are unsure to buy this set or not, do not hesitate and buy it. You will not be disappointed!! This set is the definition of Lego Technic. I know Technic sets can only get better, but how they will top this set I have no idea. I am already in the process of building the B model truck. I have all the pieces I am missing ordered through Bricklink. I will be giving Lego a call to try to get the new pneumatics and Mercedes Benz emblem for the front.

Glenn Mead

There are only six 7L red beams, all easy accessible. Two in the outriggers, two in the first crane section and two in the clamshell. Should be no problem to fix!

Thanks for the hint - it was in the clamshell. Don't know how I could use a wrong part here, but I did. Lucky me, it was an easy fix - thank you!

I just finished building this set. All I can say is WOW!!!

Here's my take on it:

Building experience - 10/10

I built all 6 assemblies first before final assembly. I spread it out over a couple days to fully appreciate the build. It never felt redundant. I did the crane last. I cut a few pneumatic hoses so that I had a cleaner look for a finished product. I also rigged a stop in the front of it to hold the crane in a fixed position while adding all the hoses. This made it easier to guide all the hoses through the turntable.

Final look - 9/10

The attention to detail on the front of this truck is exceptional! Looking at the final product, the wheels and tires look great compared to seeing the pictures. If I had any complaint, it would be the crane being too high above the cab. Also, it would have been nice if the crane folded up like on 8258. This may be a mod I try to it.

Playability - 9/10

Everything works smoothly as designed by Lego. I took my time after every step to ensure all gears worked smoothly during assembly, and that the crane will rotate smoothly from lock to lock. I did add a second pneumatic cylinder to the clamp. Operation of it opening and closing work much better than in the videos I watched with only 1 cylinder. The new battery box is great with the switch being easier to change direction of the motor. Thank you Lego!

Final thoughts - Lego really nailed this truck on the head!! It definitely goes to the top of my favorite list, right next to 8285 and 8258. If you are unsure to buy this set or not, do not hesitate and buy it. You will not be disappointed!! This set is the definition of Lego Technic. I know Technic sets can only get better, but how they will top this set I have no idea. I am already in the process of building the B model truck. I have all the pieces I am missing ordered through Bricklink. I will be giving Lego a call to try to get the new pneumatics and Mercedes Benz emblem for the front.

Glenn Mead

Same here, just finished with the build. I really appreciate the truck and it is a beauty with lots of details and functions, but my grades will not be the same as yours - to each his own so there's nothing more to it!

Building experience 9/10 - Good challenge and you have to think.

Final Look 9/10 - Authentic, excellent suspension on all axles with new ideas that most probably will be reused on MOCs and new sets from TLG.

Playability 7/10 - For me, personally, my own grading, you have to be "Ultimate 42009" or similar to be 10/10. Even though that means full RC and that is not what everyone is after, it is my grade.

Pneumatics, I like it and I have worked with hydraulics for many many years as well in the field; excavators, back hoes and farm tractors.

But - for me, personally, pneumatics is more in Lego a kind of "proof of concept" than playable.

I can be sensitive and millimeter adjust the levers for raising and lowering the crane, but it is tedious and not authentic.

I do not want to put gasoline on the "LA vs pneu" debate, it does not need it! But still, I cannot imagine loading the entire bed of the Arocs using this setup. Way too tedious...

I customized the truck a bit by retrofit the pneu system with the air tank and the air pressure gauge.

The pump can manage up to approx 3 bars. You have to have at least 2 bars to really use the crane! The boom is very slow and uncertain in movements below 2 bars but after that it works strong and fast.

Using the gauge, without the tank, I could also see how fast the pressure dropped after only one or two boom movements so you have to wait for it to build up pressure again.

Actually, over 2 bars, the clamshell will easily open and close without any gravity help, works in all angles.

9BDE7635-C75E-4FB9-B059-4C379AEC97DC.jpg