Just got my hands on the set yesterday. Words are not enough to describe how amazing this set is.

While building this set, I made two mistakes because of assumption:

- I used 2 stop bush pins on both side while building the first module, because I assumed the model is symmetric. It turned out only one side used a bush pin to attach the exhaust pipe. The other side just used a 2-stud black pin.

- I used a 4 axle to connect the bevel gear in the rear chassis. It turned out that it used a 4 axle with stop.

Then I took it apart partially just to build the small truck of the B model. I have to say I was quite disappointed because it didn't look good as I thought. The cabin is huge, while the B model truck chassis is short. That makes the B model truck looks really disproportionate. The A model has the big dump bed and crane behind so these two balance out the huge cabin. Furthermore, since the B model truck doesn't have anything behind it when not connected, it tends to lean forward because of the heavy cabin & battery box. I was so disappointed that I didn't build the trailer, but took apart the truck and rebuilt the A model.

Hi guys, I'm a new member to this forum and got interested in Lego again since a few months after many years of builing my last Lego Technic set (8860 and 8880).

I was really impressed by the 42043 (and also bij Jim's review and pictures) and was really excited to buy it. After a little over 10 hours I completed it and wanted to make a movie to show all the power and pneumatic functions. I hope you enjoy it.

As you can see the pneumatics are able to make small movements but I still need to extra time to get used to the controls! ;-)

I will soon make the B model and do the same for that sunce there aren't any videos of the B model and its functions.

Edited by Jim
Embedded video

Hi,

Welcome to EB!

Sorry for inspiring you to buy the Merc :wink:

Nice video! I have embedded it into your post. You can do this my typing [m.e.d.i.a.] (without the .) followed by the http url, not https and closed by [/m.e.d.i.a.]

Those rubber stops look familiar :classic:

I love the Arocs. Love the way the outriggers of b model are made. I want a second one but my wife does not know it.

Hi

What rubber stops do you mean??

The transparent stops, you probably use for adding friction to treads.

Hahahhahaha, that is awesome ! :laugh: . The music on the video is spot in.

Hehe indeed!!

LOL at the mini Arocs :laugh:

I finally got around to order a copy of this set on Sunday night.

I built the complete B-model yesterday and it let me down more:

- The motor speed is reduced to 9/16, by using 2 sets of a 12-tooth gear and a 20-tooth gear. The result is that the pump in the B-model pumps more slowly than that in the A model, which means the pneumatic cyclinders also operate more slowly.

- The crane can not be rotated manually since its gear is locked by a worm (http://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-4211510). For me, sometimes I don't feel like turning on the battery box, so this to me is a minus. Besides, because the motor speed is reduced, the crane rotates very slowly too, too slowly to the point of impatience.

- The function of rotating the basket isn't very fun to play with, unlike the function of clamshell buckets.

- The front part of the trailer looks odd. The motor is located there, and around it are some spaces. It feels like a hole in the front part.

The only redeeming feature for me is perhaps the creative outriggers.

Uff, non-free rotating crane is "show killer" for me. It's the function I liked a lot in "A" model, because you can have leave mechanical switch always on "pump" and rotate crane with hand.

I got mine yesterday and spent the evening building the 1 and 2-bags. I'm currently in the process of building the 3-bags.

Besides, because the motor speed is reduced, the crane rotates very slowly too, too slowly to the point of impatience.

I felt the crane was moving way too fast in the A-model. I kept overshooting my target position all the time.

I NEED HELP:

When I rebuilt the A-model, the crane can't rotate smoothly. I already tried different way of tubing the hoses through the turntable but none seems to work. I tucked the remaining hoses to the sides of the crane already so no hoses touch the battery box column. Any idea how to solve this?

Sorry this is not really on topic but I really didn't want to start a new one but we are getting two more These and These in white with the new Cody set

Finished my Arocs sometimes yesterday and tested the functions. Nice truck and crane.

I wonder though, does anyone know if the pneumatic tubes are made of a new kind of rubber? Cos the tubes in my set has a noticeable smell off of them and I don't remember the Unimog tubes having that scent.

Finished my Arocs sometimes yesterday and tested the functions. Nice truck and crane.

I wonder though, does anyone know if the pneumatic tubes are made of a new kind of rubber? Cos the tubes in my set has a noticeable smell off of them and I don't remember the Unimog tubes having that scent.

Someone else noticed they smell weirdly, so it is not just your tubes.

Yeah, they have a noticeable rubbery smell. I finished the truck on Thursday, but completed it yesterday by putting on the bed, and after standing on my desk over the night, the rubbery scent had actually spread into the room :laugh:

This set is undoubtedly a good parts pack anyway. 13x 5x11 panels in LBG, 12 wheels/tires, new cylinders and the new clam buckets just to mention a few things.

Edited by Error404

I arranged them like the manual showed, except I cut the blue hoses connecting to the valves so that they form a T to get more space, as per the tip of someone on this forum.

I finally found out the root of my crane's problem. It was the turntable. It became much stiffer than when I bought it. I guess the cause was dust. I put some lubricant oil into the 4 slits and it rotates smoothly again!

Anyone know a good way to add motorized steering as the making it move is easy but I don't know where to put a servo or m motor to turn in without it looking ugly.

Any suggestions?

-RailCo

Just purchased my truck for € 163.65.

Unfortunately, I cannot start building because my daughter was a little too rough when she jumped on her bed. She fell through .. :hmpf_bad::sceptic:

Hope to start in an hour. :sweet: