Seems like there are more than 2 revisions made to the instructions.

As mentioned here before, 2x red long pins appear out of nowhere.

Also if im not mistaken at page 256~ 2 blue pins appear.

Instructions also are weak at some points, i.e when you are building the rear axle, theres a part you build asyymetrical with 3x 3L LBG axels and 1x 4L black axel, instructions are not clear on how to position the black one.

Hoses got me confused at some point, if you build as the instructions show, you end up with stuck and bend ones so you have to re-route some.

Set has some missing parts,

3x Red long pins

1x 7L black liftarm

I was pretty shocked as 1x LBG panel was missing too. A first for me.

Anyways, was the best building experience on a flagship set so far.

Completed building just over 9 hours. With a little help. :P

I was clipping away at a great pace...halfway in only four hours with no distractions. But then clicked on "Bloodline" on Netflix and well....... my building times have significantly decreased..... :hmpf_bad:

Just finished the build today as well. I have a leftover 9L beam in black. Is this normal?

I really liked the build. It was a fun experience and many techniques where used that I have not seen before. I especially like the front of the cabin, where flickfire missiles are used to build the grille.

The only problem I see is with pneumatic tubing in the crane. Something is obscuring the turning of the crane towards the driver side. Does someone else have this and probably know what the cause is? I already tried improving the routing of the tubes, but it didn't help.

I built the crane yesterday and I was amazed how fun it was. I am not a big fan of pneu but this was something extra, I must say. I played with it for a long time.

Leif, maybe you are rigth that pneumatics in Lego is more a proof of concept, but when it works this well it is really fun.

Just finished the build today as well. I have a leftover 9L beam in black. Is this normal?

Maybe somwhere when you connect 2 large sub-builds,you missed it for some sort of "locking" - i'm not near the instructions right now.

Hi Guys

Some thing interesting to read

https://www.mercedes...in-the-sandpit/

regards

Too bad the front-grille is f***ed!

I noticed that such a beam is fitted across the front suspension, page 82 stage 48.9. There may be others if the whole chassis is that wide - I've yet to reach the stage where another is used similarly.

I've done bags 1&2 so far. Taking my time to enjoy it :sweet:

I had the steering bevels the wrong way round to begin with - too easy to repeat an operation.

I also got the pump cylinder upside down but it was easy enough to fix.

The steering seems to suffer from too little rake, like most Technic sets. The instructions or box say 28 degrees but that's nothing to shout about. Should be nearer 45 degrees for the front axle. I will see later if taking off the 1M tubes helps, or if replacing the associated pins with 1.5M pins would extend the range a bit. It might be that the rocking beam underneath has reached its full useful travel anyway, and might need a longer lever to extend the steering rake.

For larger wheels on the Arocs I might try the 68mm ones from Model Team set 5571 - a bit bigger than the 62mm ones. I had in mind previously to use 68mm ones on a tractor unit and 62mm ones on the trailer(s) - plenty of them from many sets now! Perhaps even Unimog wheels on the tractor unit and steerable 62mm ones for heavy haulage, but it's a long time since I did a big truck MOC.

Before starting the build I experimented with the 2/11 cylinders and the end-to-end pieces from crane 8421. The new cylinders don't fit the end-to-end piece, unless the holes for the nozzles are extended. I did succeed in mounting the two cylinders end to end by another method, without them moving sideways, but it's bulky! I hope TLG will issue a new version of the end-to-end piece with 42009's successor in 2 years time! The total extension of 2x 48mm cylinders on 8421 was about 7M against the new cylinders' 6M so it might need two end to end; that would give it more boom lift power for a 3rd telescopic extension, to put right 42009's inadequacy in that department.

Mark

Picked it up today, pre ordered it for 160 euro's

looking forward to build it wih my 6 year old son. It will be a long build, but who care's

Set looks great, we've waiting for it ever sinds the first pics !!

gr collin

I noticed that such a beam is fitted across the front suspension, page 82 stage 48.9. There may be others if the whole chassis is that wide - I've yet to reach the stage where another is used similarly.

I checked that step and it is not missing there. I'll have to go through the instructions again, I guess.

Edit(h) says: I missed to place the beam on page 334 substep 7 before major step 6. Stupid me. And I had wondered why there are pins sticking out.

Edited by Balrog

Something I noticed this morning, after leaving the truck overnight, I put it on top of the instruction book, to hold open the page I left off..and when I picked it up, I noticed that the tires had left oily tread marks on the pages...must be coming out of the rubber, I haven't noticed that before. Going to make sure I don't leave it on anything that would be damaged by it.

Does anyone else think that the pneumatics are pretty weak? I get one fast movement, and then it takes a lot of time to get it to move again..I wonder if I have a kink in a line somewhere..its really jammed in there..

Building experience - 10/10

I built all 6 assemblies first before final assembly. I spread it out over a couple days to fully appreciate the build. It never felt redundant. I did the crane last. I cut a few pneumatic hoses so that I had a cleaner look for a finished product. I also rigged a stop in the front of it to hold the crane in a fixed position while adding all the hoses. This made it easier to guide all the hoses through the turntable.

I truly enjoyed building the axles (front and back) and the cabin, but the "chassis" (if we can call it that) was a bit of a disappointment to build. It just felt like adding beams, axles and gears all over the place. I often had no clue of what I was building until it was finished. Maybe I'm just being old-fashioned, but I really liked starting of with something that looked like a chassis and then adding on to it, like we had in the brick-beam times.

Hopefully my copy arrives today of tomorrow. But can't built it this weekend because of my sons first birthday

I truly enjoyed building the axles (front and back) and the cabin, but the "chassis" (if we can call it that) was a bit of a disappointment to build. It just felt like adding beams, axles and gears all over the place. I often had no clue of what I was building until it was finished. Maybe I'm just being old-fashioned, but I really liked starting of with something that looked like a chassis and then adding on to it, like we had in the brick-beam times.

I don't think that approach would work for the arocs, Because it's absolutely packed with stuff. It's just too complex for that style of building.

I picked one up at my local Lego Store the other day and am looking forward to the build. From the reviews I've read and videos I have seen, this should be a fun build.

I ordered close to 500 technic pieces 312 of which are solely for a taller tipping bed and the rest for spare parts, effectively making this a 3100 piece work of Lego art once built.

Mine arrived today, started building immediately all bags 1 and 2 are empty, I will continu tomorrow because I have to work tonight

I just found out from calling Lego that the Mercedes-Benz logo for the grill is not available for sale because of the license. Now what to do for my separate truck I'm building....

I don't think that approach would work for the arocs, Because it's absolutely packed with stuff. It's just too complex for that style of building.

Agreed. I'm just saying that all the complexity is getting a bit in the way of my building experience. But that is my opinion.

9BDE7635-C75E-4FB9-B059-4C379AEC97DC.jpg

Nice to see someone else did the build without using the stickers. I am tempted to use the ones that explain the various functions though.

I just generally prefer the clean look of not using any stickers at all!

Nice to see someone else did the build without using the stickers. I am tempted to use the ones that explain the various functions though.

I just generally prefer the clean look of not using any stickers at all!

Oh yeah. if it's not for the shelf forever then the parts will be somewhere else sooner or later. With stickers? oh no..

You'll learn which lever is for which function!

Good point. So should we switch the suspensions in your opinion ? Please advice :)

For fun I tried switching front and rear and the whole truck leaned forward. Then I tried soft shocks at the rear to get some balance but it only made the truck unstable while still leaning forward. So no, the advice is to follow instructions and leave the suspension as intended.

It sure could use an air tank, but where could it be fitted? So am sure that's why there isn't. Really have to practice to finesse the controls. Only open one valve at a time too, just doesn't have enough pressure otherwise. It is fun to play around with. Need to be really quick with the switch when lowering too, otherwise it drops like a rock.

I still have the dumper box to build, day 4 of half days working on it.

An air tank could surely fit but extensive modifications are needed to do that, aesthetics wise, there is a reason why Lego chose the beams for this set particular theme instead of bricks, They look more appealing and have smooth edges.