Finished the model!

And i've got to say; It's a beast!

Had the best of times building it.

Works like a charm and really good looking.

Of course there are some cons to this set, but we all know it's Lego and therefore our own personal version can and will be made!

19995404228_43649af029_z.jpg

3 cranes? Oh, I can't wait to see.

The first bags are empty and I havevto say that I really like those front axls

It just became order-able here, and I got my order in, S@H site actually was working well considering how bad its been on big release days in the past. I am looking forward to building it too.

Some other quick thoughts about the set. 42009 got a little of a bad rap due to its high number of pins. I have always argued that 42009 is not THAT different from other large sets..... large sets will always have lots of pins relative to overall part counts just because the elements that hold them together increase exponentially as size of sets increase.

Well, 42043 is really no different. counting only black 2L pins and 3L blue pins, roughly 24.5% of its pieces is in these pins (685/2793 = 24.6%). 42009 has 27.2% of its parts in these two pins. Other large sets, like 8258 and 8285 have 25.8 and 23.4 percent of its parts in these two pins respectively. The Unimog (8110) has 23.5% of its parts wrapped up in pins (well, the specified pins). As can be seen, 42009 is a little higher than these other large sets, but not by much. The large pin count is a function of the overall size of the model and not because of some nefarious nature of 42009. (interestingly, the real story is not in any of these sets, but in set 8421. Also a crane, its pin count percentage is quite a bit different from the 42009 and other sets specified here. At only 20.8% of its pieces wrapped up in its pins.... something indeed seems weird about this set.)

I know this is the Arocs post, and her time to shine, but I needed to use her thread to help demonstrate my point and to point out that although 42043 also has a large pin count, but relative to its size, the pin count is not all that bad.

Lastly, broke into my box last night. I noticed, as with the Volvo loader, there are specifications of the real truck on the inner flap of the box. I really like this detail. Not only does it provide cool info it gives a little details of the exact rendition of the real truck that the model is based off of. With so my renditions and configurations of something like the Arocs, it is nice to know or at least have an idea of what TLG is basing the model off of. Although I own a 8110, I can't remember if they also printed this info on the box. Anyone know this little piece of trivia?

Picking up my 42043 later today, pre-ordered at webhallen.com for SEK 1,779, which is 19% less than shop@home. Sadly I probably won't have time to build it for at least a couple of weeks...

--

...interestingly, the real story is not in any of these sets, but in set 8421. Also a crane, its pin count percentage is quite a bit different from the 42009 and other sets specified here. At only 20.8% of its pieces wrapped up in its pins.... something indeed seems weird about this set.

Is the smaller share of pins in 8421 compared to 42009, 8258 and 8285 depending on a higher share of studded beams? Studded building = less pins seems valid I think.

Picking up my 42043 later today, pre-ordered at webhallen.com for SEK 1,779, which is 19% less than shop@home. Sadly I probably won't have time to build it for at least a couple of weeks...

--

Is the smaller share of pins in 8421 compared to 42009, 8258 and 8285 depending on a higher share of studded beams? Studded building = less pins seems valid I think.

Hey, I'm picking up mine at Webhallen today as well! The one in Solna Business park?

I'm really forward to it :)

Hey, I'm picking up mine at Webhallen today as well! The one in Solna Business park?

I'm really forward to it :)

Nope, Barkarby it is!

Nope, Barkarby it is!

Webhallen, Gothenburg city for me. They kept their promise of delivery today.

Picking up both of them, 42042 and 42043 but will build the Arocs first of course..

--

---hmmm......valid hypothesis.....

Would Love to see instructions for those foldable cranes from you Italian brick.

Can't buy it till next year, but love to see if I can collect the extra parts for one of these cranes.

Bilka.dk, a Danish retailer incl. online shop, could make the highest Lego profit in history if they would just ship to abroad...

€138 / $152 /£97 for the Arocs. Not kiddin' :alien:

I'd say: happy building for those living in Denmark! :classic:

Regarding the pins, with some sets, like 42030 in particular, there was very little mechanical variety, or mechanics at all relative to it's size. Call it a mechanical density index if you like to sound smart! So it really felt like just putting pins into beams, repeat over and over again. with sets like the arocs and the unimog, you get lots of mechanical complexity as well as a large variety of mechanics, like gears and transmission, live axle suspension linkages, pneumatics and so on, so it keeps the build fun and interesting. Despite the arocs being the largest official technic set it really was a far better build than most other builds so you don't really notice all the pins. With other sets I thought "this is taking ages and I'm bored" but with the arocs it was "this is gonna take ages, I like it!". So the number of pins is one variable, which like many variables in life is meaningless unless you take all other variables into account.

Edited by allanp

How easy could one motorize this set?

People could have the unimog motorized in hours if they wanted too,if you remove the gearbox is there enough room for PF valves?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

The Arocs is back on sale by Amazon UK and for a shade under £152. I'm not in any great hurry to buy either it or the crane, so I'll wait and see how things shape up over the next few weeks. Loving the building testimonies in this thread though!

The set inventories for this and the other 2H sets have recently been added to Bricks and Pieces:

6109283.jpg6109285.jpg6114965.jpg6114979.jpg

I don't know when these parts will be available to buy from there, but those renders sure are pretty. Hopefully the instructions will also be online very soon.

The set inventories for this and the other 2H sets have recently been added to Bricks and Pieces:

I don't know when these parts will be available to buy from there, but those renders sure are pretty. Hopefully the instructions will also be online very soon.

The uk site has got the new pneumatic elements listed but are out of stock.

https://service.lego.com/en-gb/replacementparts#WhatBrickBuy/42043

Just got home with mine from The Lego Shop, Metrocentre, Gateshead. I got the arocs, blue crane. fire plane, and the ferrari f40.

I'm not allowed to open them till the 10th tho :tongue:

Unpacked, sorted and counted!

Tedious and time consuming? Oh yes!

Relaxing and soothing? Oh yes!

I always do like this for an entire set, never build bag by bag, so numbered bags are not an issue for me..

E8743D52-19C6-46D1-B0F4-D9A25BE040CA.jpg

Unpacked, sorted and counted!

Tedious and time consuming? Oh yes!

Relaxing and soothing? Oh yes!

I always do like this for an entire set, never build bag by bag, so numbered bags are not an issue for me..

E8743D52-19C6-46D1-B0F4-D9A25BE040CA.jpg

Oh man I don't have that amount of self control. I would just give into the impulse to build!!!

another good thing about this set is the fresh supply if LBG panels, they were getting rare and quite expensive!

i want to build 8052 but the #62531 panels were quite expensive....hopefully the price starts to drop.

It's understandable the book is that thick when a step can be like this..

And of course it is the old discussion whether aimed for Afols and/or the demographic 11-16 as the box says!

EEEC35C8-E30C-45B6-9ECB-7E74EBB8EE15.jpg