I'm looking forward to purchasing this model. This looks like a fantastic model. The longer cylinders will come in handy.

I'm a bit sceptial of the suspension design, and it does't appear to allow a full range of motion. That being said, I'll reserve final judgement for when I see the model.

I'm looking forward to purchasing this model. This looks like a fantastic model. The longer cylinders will come in handy.

I'm a bit sceptial of the suspension design, and it does't appear to allow a full range of motion. That being said, I'll reserve final judgement for when I see the model.

Trucks aren't supposed to have independent suspension or anything. This model is build like real trucks are with how the suspension is set up.

Trucks aren't supposed to have independent suspension or anything. This model is build like real trucks are with how the suspension is set up.

You are correct, most trucks don't have independent suspensions, and most have solid axles. 42043 is similar to the real Arocs in this regard, however, the linkage set up on 42043 is very different than any real truck I have seen or driven. I'm skeptical because the links don't appear to account for any sideways motion that would occur when the axles get crossed up. It looks like a few other suspension parts may be stressed as well, but I'll have to study some better pictures to really tell for sure.

Just my $.02.

Well, as far as suspensions go, I think this would have been a great set to introduce some type of leaf suspension and a new rear axle piece.

Let's bring the suspension to real life scale. I have never seen a road truck where:

The shock is over 6" round and 3 foot tall.

2 foot clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of fender.

Well, as far as suspensions go, I think this would have been a great set to introduce some type of leaf suspension and a new rear axle piece.

Let's bring the suspension to real life scale. I have never seen a road truck where:

The shock is over 6" round and 3 foot tall.

2 foot clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of fender.

I doubt that TLG will ever produce a leaf spring because it would just be too risky, and they wouldn't want to be stressing a part. Various people have tried to make them but not with much success. It would be cool though.

The best I have seen are made from flex axles but they give a pretty soft ride

You are correct, most trucks don't have independent suspensions, and most have solid axles. 42043 is similar to the real Arocs in this regard, however, the linkage set up on 42043 is very different than any real truck I have seen or driven. I'm skeptical because the links don't appear to account for any sideways motion that would occur when the axles get crossed up. It looks like a few other suspension parts may be stressed as well, but I'll have to study some better pictures to really tell for sure.

Just my $.02.

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the steering links connect to the wheel hubs themselves in real trucks? I was expecting the 42043 to have its suspension set up that way, and not have the links connected to the panhard rods ( which is a really weird configuration). But it does make for a simpler axle though.

Edit: I meant tie rod, not panhard rod. Apologies for the confusion.

Edited by sm1995

But it seems like 2042 arocs for agriculture as transport wehicle has portal axles

http://media.emerced..._12-980x653.jpg

thanks for that pic

I doubt that TLG will ever produce a leaf spring because it would just be too risky, and they wouldn't want to be stressing a part. Various people have tried to make them but not with much success. It would be cool though.

The best I have seen are made from flex axles but they give a pretty soft ride

lol that's a very soft ride if you use flex axles

The best leaf springs are made out of plates.

that's a clever idea! And if you want to make the ride softer, you make the plates longer, and if you want to make the ride harder, use shorter plates or add reinforcement plates or tiles.. :thumbup:

The best leaf springs are made out of plates.

And the worse out of beams(mine have been broken)

Edit: worst not worse

Edited by LXF

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the steering links connect to the wheel hubs themselves in real trucks? I was expecting the 42043 to have its suspension set up that way, and not have the links connected to the panhard rods ( which is a really weird configuration). But it does make for a simpler axle though.

Edit: I meant tie rod, not panhard rod. Apologies for the confusion.

All the large trucks and buses I've driven had the steering link (drag link) connected to the left knuckle, but I haven't studied truck steering enough to know how common this setup is. I do know the Freightliner Cascadia had an optional rack and pinion steering package, but it was problematic, and I'm not sure if it is still available. Volvo and Prevost have optional IFS on their buses, and probably other manufacturers as well. The Chevrolet minibus I used to drive had IFS and rack and pinion steering.

Connecting the draglink to the tie rod was pretty common in older vehicles. The Toyota 4Runner I used to own had this setup.

That all being said, I don't expect Lego to build a realistic suspension for the sets they offer, especially when they have to take into account scale and durability. Just the fact that they have suspension on 42043 is impressive, and I find their rear axle setup quite ingenious, even if the links have a small amount of sideways stress. Building a dual drive tandem axle with a fully articulated suspension is not that easy, and I think Lego has done a pretty good job, all things considered.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Most trucks have a linkage connected to a knuckle indeed.

So the steering is not directly linked to the wheels.

And most of the time there is a second linkage from the first to the second steered axle.

All the large trucks and buses I've driven had the steering link (drag link) connected to the left knuckle, but I haven't studied truck steering enough to know how common this setup is. I do know the Freightliner Cascadia had an optional rack and pinion steering package, but it was problematic, and I'm not sure if it is still available. Volvo and Prevost have optional IFS on their buses, and probably other manufacturers as well. The Chevrolet minibus I used to drive had IFS and rack and pinion steering. Connecting the draglink to the tie rod was pretty common in older vehicles. The Toyota 4Runner I used to own had this setup.

That all being said, I don't expect Lego to build a realistic suspension for the sets they offer, especially when they have to take into account scale and durability. Just the fact that they have suspension on 42043 is impressive, and I find their rear axle setup quite ingenious, even if the links have a small amount of sideways stress. Building a dual drive tandem axle with a fully articulated suspension is not that easy, and I think Lego has done a pretty good job, all things considered.

Right, thanks for the detailed explanation :) after a bit of googling, I found out that what I meant by hub was actually the knuckle. I'm attempting to build a drag link steering setup for a truck that's of similar scale, and it is indeed proving to be pretty difficult to build a reliable setup that's also 100% realistic.

Is the steering in the 42022 hot rod a drag steering?

Edited by LXF

A question about the tyre size, could a slightly bigger tyre on these rims do the trick to make this set look better?

A question about the tyre size, could a slightly bigger tyre on these rims do the trick to make this set look better?

which tyre do you have in mind??

They can but it will be aftermarket tires, wish TLG could've just designed inhouse an all-new tire size for this set.

You want to change the tyres so the truck is bigger, or smaller? Bigger I assume. I don't like big sets personally, they're heavy and they push the performance of parts too far. But eh, I'm just one lone voice :classic:

Edited by andythenorth

Its the tires that somewhat looks awkwardly small for this set and the rim design is fine but a larger diameter tire design for the rim design would have done the trick to make it look larger than it already is for its scale, the video and pictures show the set's weight is somewhat making the wheel (rim) and tire combo push a on both sides of the truck. Zetros should be the next project on the Mercedes-Benz series, super singles 6x6 setup and about the same size as the 8110.

If this is the perfect term, the tires they chose to use are too "conservative" looking for this set.

Whilst I really complain about this set :wub: I think that Technic wheels and tyres in general are all wrong. Basically they are all too wide with respect to their diameter (the should be thinner to be in scale), the hubs are too small in diameter in relation to the diameter of the tyre and the hubs aren't deep enough. Compare a lego truck tyre cross section to that of a real truck tyre and you'll see they are completely different.

440px-Mercedes-Benz_Arocs_-_dump_truck_version_(1).JPG

Looking at these wheels you can see that they are much thinner and the hubs are so deep that on the front they protrude slightly past the tyre wall which is very good for moving the steering pivot inwards (less strain on steering and less prone for wheels to bend upwards under weight) as well as making it much easier to gang two wheels together.

Edited by allanp

Lego's Arocs is construction type of truck, it has great ground clearance and long travel suspension. It is not really suited for city garbage truck, or highway long distance hauler.

I know that but i'm not good enough at building to convert the whole truck so i would rather just convert the super structure.

I am waiting to convert it to a tatra or astra :classic:

I'm thought about converting the Tatra i'm working on to this scale but since i want it RC i have no idea how to make it driven. The suspension is hard enough to build at 1:12. I can't wait to see your attempt at changing it. I'll probable just finish it fast and get this and make addons for it i think. Haven't decided if i will try to afford this set this year.

I am going to try my hand at c modeling by trying to make one of those 6x6s, I think there would be enough parts to do that?

2014-mercedes-benz-g63-amg-6x6-front-three-quarter-dirt.jpg

Cool i love C models and that thing would be sweet.

Edited by EyesOnly