It depends a bit on the type of vehicle, I think. On something specific/unique/iconic like the Unimog it makes sense, but for this truck the fact it's a Mercedes doesn't really add anything. Likewise the Volvo loader would be just as good under a different brand or none.

If the price is higher because it's branded, then that puts me off rather than attracting me to it.

No, I would definitely pay extra because it's branded- not more than 10%, though.

I'm really interested to see how Lego did the steering setup. I'm building a similar link-steering system for my own Arocs MOC and while I've only been working on it for a few hours, right off the bat there's a lot of steering play which could potentially be hard to get rid of.

I am guessing the crane is based on a log loader type crane so wouldnt fold up across the width of the truck but to me it still looks like it is a little too big, mostly in the height of the mast. Still a great set, definitely great for parts.

i had the wrong number a 2 instead of 3

The Mercedes-Benz Zetros (Unimog's bigger brother) uses portal axles and lately the G63 AMG 6x6 and the G500 4x4squared Concept.

The Mercedes-Benz Zetros (Unimog's bigger brother) uses portal axles and lately the G63 AMG 6x6 and the G500 4x4squared Concept.

the zetros has no portal axles. it has simple but massive straight axles for heavy load

Here is my version of the 42043 which i started making over a month ago.

because of serious lack of time some minor sections are incomplete; the drive shaft and the outriggers mechanism

in the outriggers mechanism i cant see any possible option other than using chain links to provide rotation to the right outrigger

i left it blank on purpose, other than that most of the model is complete

Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByDobrCn2djYOU05UlJNT3FiLUU/view?usp=sharing

Edited by shimon

But it seems like 2042 arocs for agriculture as transport wehicle has portal axles

http://media.emercedesbenz.com.s3.amazonaws.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/1-unimog-13C1169_12-980x653.jpg

That could be, but those aren't standars trucks, more like tractors.

Normal trucks do not have portal axles, in some special cases, they have independent suspension.

Here is my version of the 42043 which i started making over a month ago.

because of serious lack of time some minor sections are incomplete; the drive shaft and the outriggers mechanism

in the outriggers mechanism i cant see any possible option other than using chain links to provide rotation to the right outrigger

i left it blank on purpose, other than that most of the model is complete

Enjoy!

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Amazing! :wub:

You've even nailed the suspension and the steering. Thank you very much for that file.

Some quick renders made with the LXF file made by Shimon.

Many tanks to Shimon for his excellent work!

17074940395_7b65b7f4c2_c.jpg

More here: https://www.flickr.c...57651822983351/

You are welcome :laugh: !

Spent many hours viewing individual pixels from those videos, sorry for not completing it, didnt have time to finish and i didnt want to guess parts i wasnt sure about.

Cheers.

My thoughts about the Zetros were wrong then, I think still Lego should keep up the Mercedes-Benz series with the tough trucks it sells in Europe.

The digital file for the 42043 is great! With the proper mods this set can accommodate super singles right?

The render on the rear axles, it exposes the "innards" of this set, the small turn table-ish linking the 3rd and 4th axles, those were used for 9397's grabber claw, it's purpose for this set - correct me if I'm wrong - is to give flexible axle movement right?

I agree with MrPaulo23. They should continue with the Mercedes series of trucks or even other brands, maybe do a heavy hauler or one of the more unusual models.

H

Am i the only one who can't wait to turn this into either a garbage truck or a long distance hauler type rear end? It would be like the Actros but with a different body. :wub:

Am i the only one who can't wait to turn this into either a garbage truck or a long distance hauler type rear end? It would be like the Actros but with a different body. :wub:

Lego's Arocs is construction type of truck, it has great ground clearance and long travel suspension. It is not really suited for city garbage truck, or highway long distance hauler.

Edited by Milan

I would love to see a type off truck like the Mammoet heavy hauler that JaapTechnic made, he made an older type and sells the instructions, loving it.

I can't wait for the flagship backhoe they'll make with 10 or more of those long cylinders! :wub:

I can't wait for the flagship backhoe they'll make with 10 or more of those long cylinders! :wub:

I was going to say that they would never make a model with 10 cylinders but then I remembered 8455!

I am waiting to convert it to a tatra or astra :classic:

right now, I guess the most obvious mod I can do when I get my hands on one is raising the tipper bed section by 6 studs by adding an extra set of 5x11 technic rectangular panels for more "brick load" capacity, this uses 2 large LAs right? so that should be fine, probably color-coordinate some parts that aren't and black is my favorite color of choice whenever replacing red or yellow parts that TLG designers are fond of putting on their sets. Probably refine or fine tune some details but still keeping the original design intact, at $250 I might get only just one of this and retain the main model for play and display purposes though don't get me wrong, the semi-truck design is cool but I'm just not really attracted to it as a whole.

I'd like to point out that should any from The Lego Group be reading this comment of mine, to keep the Mercedes-Benz lineup by introducing only the toughest designs both old and new, the series which was jump started by the well-loved 8110 Unimog U400, then followed by the upcoming 42043 Arocs 3245 has to have the:

LK-Series trucks, Zetros (set modifiable for portal axle replacement) - 4x4 but the 6x6 version is tougher for me, Actros, Unimog U4023/5023 as a stand alone recreation of the beasts of the Unimog lineup, Unimog U423/523 as a follow-up for the 8110 set, G-Class (can be the G63 AMG 6x6 or the G500 4x4 with portal axles on it)

for its future MB lineup for the Technic theme or probably Creator Expert series.

In general, because American branded cars have not been officially introduced by TLG, Land Rover is the next step for Technic for serious builders and collectors alike.

I am going to try my hand at c modeling by trying to make one of those 6x6s, I think there would be enough parts to do that?

2014-mercedes-benz-g63-amg-6x6-front-three-quarter-dirt.jpg

Edited by Nalyd997