Hmm, no PF switch... An obvious first mod, just like on the 8110. A Mercedes thing maybe?

"No, no PF switch on this one either. We (the Mercedes company marketing dept.) want these Lego models to be as accurate as possible, and a PF switch, even though being much easier to operate than the battery box itself, would completely ruin the looks and feel of the models, making them sub-standard, not worthy of the MB logo."

Hmm, no PF switch......A Mercedes thing maybe?

Eh? Which TLG sets feature a PF switch, other than the PF accessory set?

Edited by andythenorth

The PF switch appeared in 3 sets, 8297, 8258 and the PF set 8293 as mentioned above

Edited by vliet

Ah, coming from the ironic generation, I forgot to clearly state that the sentence "A Mercedes thing maybe" and the following fake citation was in fact irony, and not meant to be taken seriously. Need to learn to use those smileys...

On the more serious side, there were complaints about TLG not including a PF switch in the 8110 since the switch on the battery box can be very difficult to put in neutral. It has happened more than once that instead of turning a motor off you just change its direction, and I think this is true for every model with power functions (except the RC ones of course).

The PF switch came in good use in the 8297 and especially in the 8258, which I believe would have been impossible to operate without one.

Hopefully this won't be the case of 42043, but I still think that a PF switch would have made operating the truck easier and more enjoyable.

Edited by thomol

Hmm, no PF switch... An obvious first mod, just like on the 8110. A Mercedes thing maybe?

"No, no PF switch on this one either. We (the Mercedes company marketing dept.) want these Lego models to be as accurate as possible, and a PF switch, even though being much easier to operate than the battery box itself, would completely ruin the looks and feel of the models, making them sub-standard, not worthy of the MB logo."

:laugh: :laugh:

Volvo was probably like "we don't mind gaps" so they put a massive gap in the middle of the A model and a skeletal bed as the B model

41999 has it for it's winch, regardless I will still buy 42043, I'm tempted to buy other sets but as they say "eyes on the price"

On the more serious side, there were complaints about TLG not including a PF switch in the 8110 since the switch on the battery box can be very difficult to put in neutral. It has happened more than once that instead of turning a motor off you just change its direction, and I think this is true for every model with power functions (except the RC ones of course).

I did noticed that on my 2 8110s, changing the switch's direction has no effect at all on the pneumatics system since it has it's own switch and the PF just powers the main pump, the PF has more control on the turntable and winch implements.

I have a bunch of the PF switch maybe this can be put somewhere in the 42043 where it will blend function and form. In the cab perhaps?

It struck me as odd that there was no PF switch.....i also expected the LED lights to be placed on there......

A while back someone said $230 USD, and going by 42009, that sounds about right.

But future exchange rates may cause a slight variance on the price, it still safe to say $230 - $250 is it's price and I think the 42042 will cost us $180? Get $500 and buy bought I say!

Best value for me so far at 2,793 parts for the Arocs w/ PF, gen 2 Pneumatics and linear actuators. At 1,401 pieces the Crane is also best value for me because I don't have to buy a PF set, wait both sets will use L-Motors right?

But future exchange rates may cause a slight variance on the price, it still safe to say $230 - $250 is it's price and I think the 42042 will cost us $180? Get $500 and buy bought I say!

Best value for me so far at 2,793 parts for the Arocs w/ PF, gen 2 Pneumatics and linear actuators. At 1,401 pieces the Crane is also best value for me because I don't have to buy a PF set, wait both sets will use L-Motors right?

As far as what has been seen so far, L motors for both seem to be confirmed.

Thats cool L-Motor for both, I guess my next guess is if I can fit an XL on one of them, looking forward to both sets.

I wish TLG has a stiffer version of the shock absorbers, I modified most of my sets carrying the same shocks the arocs has up front and noticed they are starting to sag

Off note I called Lego today and asked if they already have a pricing for it or final release date. NADA, it will be very welcome though if they put it and the Crane on VIP early access

This is going to be an expensive summer.

Edited by DrJB

Has anyone made any thoughts about the wheel setup on the B-model? To me it might look like the are only using 10 wheels, 6 on the truck and 4 on the trailer, if not one of the trailer axels has twin wheels. Or the could be using 4 on the truck and 8 on the trailer, but that would seem rather strange. What do you think?

They obviously use 7 wheels on the tractor (2 front axle, 4 rear axle and a spare) which leaves 4 wheels for the trailer's axles and a spare on the headboard.

10986854_10205952035909349_7709711678765674397_n.jpg

Interesting B-Model but I will just settle for the Main one, won't be another "twins" fiasco like what I did when I got two 8110s.

I might end up with one to build and another to begin the pneumatic experiments and turntable evaluation.

I did the same with the Crawler, to evaluate the motors.

There's no addition of the 2nd set to the 1st, like the snow plough of the Unimog, though a tipper trailer could be built with the 2nd set.

I wish TLG has a stiffer version of the shock absorbers, I modified most of my sets carrying the same shocks the arocs has up front and noticed they are starting to sag

I think Technic panels and studless construction help to reduce that, compared to a brick-built truck cab, by reducing weight. There's not much room for extra springs in the front suspension.

If it still sags then maybe it's too well built :classic:

Perhaps if the Arocs had a single front axle then single springs would not be enough on that. Also a good job the engine is so light :wink:

Mark

I can see the Lego truck budget may be cutting into the Jeep budget this summer.....hmmmm.......

Has anyone found bigger tyres for the Arocs?

Or are the rims on the Black Cat truck bigger also.

Has anyone found bigger tyres for the Arocs?

Or are the rims on the Black Cat truck bigger also.

The Blackcat has the same rims. It's just the wheels are 4mm larger I think, but are identical in overall design. I think these wheels would've been perfect for the Arocs.

No the Black cat has NOT the same rims!! They Not only have a slighly different look but the dimensions differ also if only very slighly. But i have just tested it: if you use the bigger tyres of the Black cat with current rims (e.g. From 9397) then the tires doesn't fit exactly: you can spinn the rim within the tyre. This is impossible with the correct tyre&rim combination...

So: you always Need rims and tyres if you want use the bigger ones of the Black cat 5571!

Many bricklink sellers sell only the combination ie. you can not buy just the tyres. The reason: it makes no sense because you can not use the tyre without these rims!

This is the reason why these wheels are so expensive. You have to calculate with minimum 22€ for ONE tyre+rim-set, probably even more! In Addition they are not only expensive but ultra rare...World wide there are only ~ 110 rims and ~ 130 tyres available at bricklink - this is less than the currently very rare red #3 connector ;-)

I have bought 2 used but in good condition 5571 Black cat some years ago for the tow Truck MOC of Andrea Grazi. This is necessary because a lot of bricks and parts if the 5571 are needed for this MOC not only the wheels. But just for modify the arocs 42043 this is also Not a cheap Option because for a 5571 you have to calculate with at least 150€ (or you are very lucky or veeeeery patient) and for 12 wheels for the arocs you Need two of them.... You see: this would be a very expensive MOD :-))

Edited by Kumbbl

You are counting 12 pairs of wheels and tires for the Arocs, this is a real dually model with a pair of steering mechanisms up front, I just think the wheels they used are flimsy for this set, could've designed a larger diameter rim with a new larger diameter tire