For me, as the kind who is hugely interested in Technic and almost zero in other themes, I can't understand why Technic (from what I understand) is almost on the verge of being unpopular over there.

At this point I guess only AFOLs can help sustain the Technic line in the US, I go to ToysR' Us and on the Lego aisle you won't kids swarming Technics they like Star Wars, Chima, Ninjago.

It's an old trick. Lots of 80s and 90s sets did it. In the case where they're split left & right, it tends to have more slack and lower performance due to gear train, compared to a direct drive from the vehicle centerline.

Now that part I missed because I had newer sets and just started ramping up my collection back '13 but I think regardless of where the HOG is placed or what kind of principle Lego designers use to employ HOG steering it will not really hurt the sets' overall look

There are pneu hoses going to the grabber. And the sticker showed a mechanism where it is opened like... I cant explain very well in English, but something like jaws opening in the middle. Zooming in the sticker

For what I can see I think those stickers are from the A model.

For what I can see I think those stickers are from the A model.

Yes that is most likely true. And when I took a closer look at the pictures, I can see that there are hoses going to the bucket, but I cannot see any mechanism opening or closing the bucket or grabber or whatever it is. But maybe that is just because the poor quality of the pictures. Anyways, I have a friend who went to the exhibition today and I asked him to take more pictures. Hopefully he got better than mine :)

I know the engine in the real Arocs is an L6 but frankly it looks ridiculous on the 42043! it extends all the way past the cab :laugh: I think should've gone with an L4 for a cleaner finish product.

Ok so now that everyone wanted a 6L it's loo long so now want a 4L.

Please can we move on from the engine it's getting awfull boring.

Negative, It's not going to be an Arocs if it doesn't pack a straight-6, it's just going to another technic truck, Lego got to fit a V8 in the 8258 and fitting a straight-6 is something I wanted to see in this model the moment I learned Lego is toying on another MB truck set.

I know this is off-topic pertaining to the 42043 and I have been adamant about it having the Straight-6 basically because I think as a licensed set and being a Mercedes-Benz Arocs I know it has to have that engine on it and fitting a 4-cylinder will just make it flimsy for me. Anyway that Straight-6 seems to be big for this little big guy and Mercedes-Benz has a pallet of trucks that Lego can turn into their own future flagship sets for the Technic line, I would like to see this engine configuration in future sets/ deals with Mercedes-Benz trucks as follows:

- Actros

- Zetros (main model is a 6x6 - with 3 working differentials and portal axles, B-Model is the 4x4)

- L-Series trucks sold from 1959 to 1995

- Gelandewagen (classic bare bones model)

- Unimog U423/U523 (the U4023/U5023 still has a Straight-4 on it)

The problem with the 42043 is that its a cab forward design truck and not your short/long bonnet-nosed truck and simply fitting the Straight-6 on it will require it having to have that specific model in the Arocs line that looks like a sleeper cab so as to accommodate the length of the Straight-6, but for one thing I will still buy this set because I like the real-life Arocs as much as I like the Unimog, Zetros, and G-Wagen, fitting this L6 on these trucks should Lego go forward with the idea of creating future sets for Mercedes-Benz - as what they did with Ferrari and Lamborghini when the Racers line was still sold - will make sense now as such engine can fit in perfectly underneath the hood of those trucks.

According to a quick Google search, the Arocs is available with 12.8l or 15.6l engines. 6 cylinders means 2.133l or 2.6l per cylinder. The latter would have about 93.9mm diameter and stroke if the dimensions were the same. The diameter of the LEGO cylinder is about 9.5mm. The wheel scale, at 62.4mm compared to 385 65 R22.5 super-single truck tyres would be 1:13.169. The cylinder diameter should be 7.13mm at that scale. The LEGO cylinders would fit a scale of 1:10, which would use 81.6mm wheels. Effectively 42043 has a 37-litre engine! :classic:

There was an earlier mention of the smoothness of the pneumatics. It may be down to a small compressor and restrictions in the circuit at the switch valves and the cylinder nozzles. Movement may be smooth in each single direction but there would be a lot of hysteresis one reversing the direction.

Mark

There was an earlier mention of the smoothness of the pneumatics. It may be down to a small compressor and restrictions in the circuit at the switch valves and the cylinder nozzles. Movement may be smooth in each single direction but there would be a lot of hysteresis one reversing the direction.

+1

How smooth the pneumatics are depends on many factors:

1. size/obstructions of/in the air-path(s)

2. load the cylinder must work against

3. Pressure (and flow/volume) available from the compressor

I did add an air-tank to the 8455 Backhoe few years back, coupled to an external compressor, fed by 2 large pumps (springs removed), and the pneumatics were very fast. How fast the pneumatics cylinders extend/retract depends a lot on how much air the compressor puts out at every stroke. So, Mark has a valid point that the pneumatics might not be as smooth as everyone is 'hoping'. But, only time will tell.

Edited by DrJB

Ok so now that everyone wanted a 6L it's loo long so now want a 4L.

Please can we move on from the engine it's getting awfull boring.

Its true its so funny....! How about a 5L ? perhaps it has a volvo engine or an audi engine

Negative, It's not going to be an Arocs if it doesn't pack a straight-6, it's just going to another technic truck, Lego got to fit a V8 in the 8258 and fitting a straight-6 is something I wanted to see in this model the moment I learned Lego is toying on another MB truck set.

Not to be a d*ck, but I respectfully disagree. :classic: IMO this just looks plain messy. They could've gone with a V6 or find out a way to pack all of that engine under the cab.. anyhow, this is such a minor detail, it doesn't change the fact that this is going to be an awesome set.

lwch3.jpeg

Not to be a d*ck, but I respectfully disagree. :classic: IMO this just looks plain messy. They could've gone with a V6 or find out a way to pack all of that engine under the cab.. anyhow, this is such a minor detail, it doesn't change the fact that this is going to be an awesome set.

I'm just being picky lol, I does look a bit awkward so I'm just going to get 1 and stick with the dumper and crane main model so as to hide the engine, this is probably why TLG chose such popular config for the Arocs because it can hide the awkward configuration, either way its going to be a cool set, very minor detail I agree with you again its just my picky attitude. One thing though the L6 might have made more sense if they chose to make it a little bigger, bigger than the 8258 shadow that it's going to follow by any indications. Then again this set is already a done deal. Summer is 6 months away gotta start saving now :classic:

I knew it! it's just going to be a matter of time before dokludi pulls off an imitation

:D

Edited by MrPaulo23

I'm just being picky lol, I does look a bit awkward so I'm just going to get 1 and stick with the dumper and crane main model so as to hide the engine, this is probably why TLG chose such popular config for the Arocs because it can hide the awkward configuration, either way its going to be a cool set, very minor detail I agree with you again its just my picky attitude. One thing though the L6 might have made more sense if they chose to make it a little bigger, bigger than the 8258 shadow that it's going to follow by any indications. Then again this set is already a done deal. Summer is 6 months away gotta start saving now :classic:

Ahaha, I'm in the same boat. Although I do have 250$ saved up right now but I really want an 8110... Meh, i'll probably just end up getting both.

Ahaha, I'm in the same boat. Although I do have 250$ saved up right now but I really want an 8110... Meh, i'll probably just end up getting both.

I got two 8110s and I affectionately call them "Twins" :laugh: , I have $500 ready to tap on for both the Crawler Crane and Arocs, one of the coolest sets TLG made I'm thinking of getting one more and probably will keep it sealed but the Arocs has been revealed, 6 months more and my Twins will have their little big brother/ contender up for the game.

PS: NISB 8110 fetch north of $290 in eBay.

Edited by MrPaulo23

I got two 8110s and I affectionately call them "Twins" :laugh: , I have $500 ready to tap on for both the Crawler Crane and Arocs, one of the coolest sets TLG made I'm thinking of getting one more and probably will keep it sealed but the Arocs has been revealed, 6 months more and my Twins will have their little big brother/ contender up for the game.

PS: NISB 8110 fetch north of $290 in eBay.

:blush: Wow, two of em? Wish I had that kind of money.

I just ordered a NISB Unimog on bricklink for $250... think that's a good price? anyway I'm really excited :wub: Finally more than just one set to build MOCs with.

Back to topic please.

About the a-model functions, does anyone else feel that the turntable rotation is too fast and jerky? Also, for the b-model. how do you think the 5th wheel on the truck works?

The truck looks great but tires seem a tad too small, I wish TLG had introduced a new wheel with an intermediate size, between this one and Unimog's...

I'm thinking the same but mine is somewhere between the 42029's and 9397's, TLG would've formed an off-road/ road going tire hybrid design.

I knew it! it's just going to be a matter of time before dokludi pulls off an imitation

:D

Went to see in great expectation of a 42043

Imitation, but then it was the crawler crane.. Nonetheless impressed anyways!...

Great build!

Back to topic please.

About the a-model functions, does anyone else feel that the turntable rotation is too fast and jerky? Also, for the b-model. how do you think the 5th wheel on the truck works?

When you're trying pack this many functions driven by a single motor in a model thats of this scale, you're gonna have to make a few sacrifices :classic:

Went to see in great expectation of a 42043

Imitation, but then it was the crawler crane.. Nonetheless impressed anyways!...

Great build!

I saw the pictures of his Arocs replica I think a week before they pulled off the reveal in Germany, just wasn't sure it was his replica.