PS. For me 8285 is still one of the best looking LEGO Technic trucks so far.

Interesting. For me, the best truck is 8258. Could it be because long nose are common in the US and rare in Europe, and vice versa?

8258-1.gif vs. 8285-1.gif

Edited by DrJB

So people from Europe prefer 8285 and people from the US 8258? That's indeed interesting.

So people from Europe prefer 8285 and people from the US 8258? That's indeed interesting.

There is a saying, "the grass is greener on the other side."

Interesting. For me, the best truck is 8258. Could it be because long nose are common in the US and rare in Europe, and vice versa?

8258-1.gif vs. 8285-1.gif

For me it's the 8110 Unimog, it's awkwardly handsome.

I prefer the 8258, because off al the stuff in it.

Don't nesseserely like the cab, looks to much like a Scania, hate those ugly trucks.

The LEGO Technic Mercedes Benz Arocs 3245 comes with 12 tyres.

Why TLG didn't do that for 8258, 9397, 9395 (pertaining to the dually setup) still puzzles me, knowing their designers always look for actual vehicles to turn to another Lego Technic sets, I think it will always be part of the deal that when make a licensed set it has to downright correct, 42043 and before it 8110 seems to be standing to that principle, Euro trucks feature less cylinders but they pack power for work and hauling stuff, another thing that I really want to see this set packing is the differentials for the last 2 axles, I'm just basing everything off the data I pulled from Mercedes-Benz which is certainty for this set given that it has the Straight-6 (with the last 2 cylinder heads resting most likely underneath the battery box), a suspension system, dually tires for the final set of axles so this just makes sense. I like the outrigger design I hope this one somewhat raises a portion of the truck a little bit off ground or at the least makes the truck stable while the crane is being operated, crane arm - I would like to see the final section of the arm extending with at least 5 - 7 studs more, man that would make it more fun to play with.

Edited by MrPaulo23

Why TLG didn't do that for 8258, 9397, 9395 still puzzles me, knowing their designers always look for actual vehicles to turn to another Lego Technic sets, I think it will always be part of the deal that when make a licensed set it has to downright correct, 42043 and before it 8110 seems to be standing to that principle, Euro trucks feature less cylinders but they pack power for work and hauling stuff, another thing that I really want to see this set packing is the differentials for the last 2 axles, I'm just basing everything off the data I pulled from Mercedes-Benz which is certainty for this set given that it has the Straight-6 (with the last 2 cylinder heads resting most likely underneath the battery box), a suspension system, dually tires for the final set of axles so this just makes sense. I like the outrigger design I hope this one somewhat raises a portion of the truck a little bit off ground or at the least makes the truck stable while the crane is being operated, crane arm - I would like to see the final section of the arm extending with at least 5 - 7 studs more, man that would make it more fun to play with.

Yeah, I'm also hoping for differentials for the last 2 axles. This set can't get much better at this point, it's amazing already and probably my favorite Technic set so far. At least it looks like it at this point, I'm also loving the Crawler Crane (42042)

If the pneumatics indeed perform better than 8110's (the video seems to indicate this), this set is indeed shaping up to be an all-time classic. First great flagship since 8043 perhaps.

If the pneumatics indeed perform better than 8110's (the video seems to indicate this), this set is indeed shaping up to be an all-time classic. First great flagship since 8043 perhaps.

They will perform better, the presenter from the LEGO Technic booth told the visitors exactly that. He said: "We have a new Pneumatic system for this set, it's called Pneumatic V2. V2 because it allows smoother transitions, actions and more ..."

You could also say an updated and improved version on every aspect. Can't wait!

Yeah, I really want some of those Pneumatics V2 parts to play around with :laugh: Pneumatic sets and MOCs are going to be a lot more enjoyable in terms of functionality and playability. I hope to see it make a big comeback in sets to come.

Yeah, I'm also hoping for differentials for the last 2 axles. This set can't get much better at this point, it's amazing already and probably my favorite Technic set so far. At least it looks like it at this point, I'm also loving the Crawler Crane (42042)

I'm saving my funds for both of them for the Crawler Crane 42042 and Arocs 42043 will make a good tandem, because so far both sets have detail I like so much, they may not be in same scale but scaling them to other Lego sets will them great additions to one's collection, should it have all details we are all looking forward too, it's going to give a hard time choosing among 8110, 41999, and 42043 which will become my all time favorite.

Do they?

I think so, but wait isn't that most trucks employ Straight-6? not counting the Unimog which has 4 and 6, American trucks which has 6 and 8 cylinders on their variants. Concentrating to Mercedes-Benz Trucks alone I haven't seen any in their data showing that trucks include a V8 engine as most has BlueTec engines plus V8 is fuel-thirty. I'm not sure with other trucks from other countries.

I'm not sure with other trucks from other countries.

Me neither :wink: Scania have V8s, dunno beyond that. The US truck engines I found were straight 6 (Mack, Paccar). My guess would be that there are a range of V and straight engine choices available both sides of the Atlantic, also some engine suppliers are global. Anyway, it's off-topic. Just curious.

Edited by andythenorth

The inline 6 is the most common engine type in trucks, whether european or american, followed by the v8.

This is why the Arocs 3245 will be very interesting because it will be the first Technic set to feature such engine layout off a truck platform, Lego has done I4 but not an I6 as of yet (or had they done such and I just missed it)

This is why the Arocs 3245 will be very interesting because it will be the first Technic set to feature such engine layout off a truck platform, Lego has done I4 but not an I6 as of yet (or had they done such and I just missed it)

They have a L6 in the recent LEGO Technic Volvo wheel loader.

They have a L6 in the recent LEGO Technic Volvo wheel loader.

Oh yea but that's not a truck, its a construction equipment. I'm more excited to this set and the 42042 than the Volvo set.

I think this is because there are a lot of fans that love V8 engines in trucks.

Scania, Volvo, Mercedes and M.A.N have them.

Although Mercedes has stopt building trucks with V8 engines.

That is why the set has a inline 6 cilinder engine.

I think this is because there are a lot of fans that love V8 engines in trucks.

Scania, Volvo, Mercedes and M.A.N have them.

Although Mercedes has stopt building trucks with V8 engines.

That is why the set has a inline 6 cilinder engine.

Yes and not only that a straight-6 is more efficient

That said, any one counted how many tires there are on this new Mercedes Truck?

I already have 50 of them (below) and maybe I should build a very long Australian Road Train (post #541) :sweet:

I also have a lot of these wheels but I bought an extra 50 hubs specially.

If you have too many of them then you could always consider modifying some of the hubs to make train wheels, for a really Technic steam engine :devil:

This one is a 3-cylinder engine, using the hole offsets to good effect to get the 120-degree rotation.

More on hub modification methods here. I find turned parts come out better than other mods. I tend to do it mostly for mechanisms when standard parts do not provide what I need.

Mark

skip to 3:23 and you will find the other 2 cylenders packed right in tighly.

So yes this is an inline 6.

skip to 3:23 and you will find the other 2 cylenders packed right in tighly.

So yes this is an inline 6.

I can see another cylinder at 3:38 of the video under the box, This is why I am very excited of getting this set, Lego has done V6 and V8 on their truck models but not an Inline-6 dummy engine and I'd love to see how they pulled this though my best guess of by putting the battery box up of the final 2 sets of cylinders and by choosing the appropriate Arocs variant that that will suit up such conversion to a flagship Lego Technic set.

I'm amazed how they manage to build such complex chassis and mechanisms within it

This and the 42009 is very good, as well as the unimog of course.

I can only make a technic set or an idea simplified/smaller but I cannot design an entire MOD/MOC that is this compact and multi-functional

Edited by SNIPE

Best suspension system for me is of those of the Unimog 8110 and Crawlers 9398 and 41999 which are technically the same, but squeezing such suspension system off the Arocs set and of this scale not as big as the 8110, I haven't seen it yet.