I think it's a stupid single-purpose POOP in a non-reusable color and with very limited connection options, but I seem to be a minority so far.

Edit: I mean the red box. The gray extender looks somewhat useful to me. But nothing the existing 13L gear rack can't do, except be a little longer.

I haven't had the part in real life yet of course, but for what I've seen of it, I have to agree.

It's possible that the slider groove will give added rigidity to the mechanism over an existing 13L rack assembly, designed to do the same job. I think this new part will look a lot neater on jib extensions too. It looks like the connection points are limited to each end, but the outriggers sure look sturdy on 42043. It may in the future be available in more colours too! :classic:

Nalyd997, you can find Arocs B model's picture in 2015 topic also.

B model looks great, too!

Edited by Milan

The B-Model looks interesting too but for a proper semi truck it has to be an 18-wheeler

Maybe in USA, but regular camion in europe is 12-wheeler.

Maybe in USA, but regular camion in europe is 12-wheeler.

A regular tractor-trailer truck in USA has 18 wheels. In fact, we call them '18-wheeler'. The truck has 2 at the front and 8 at the back (tandem axle with 4 tires each), and the trailer has 8 at the back (again, tandem axle).

If you think of it, the trailer's weight is supported by 8 wheels at each end: 8 at the front (those of the truck) and 8 at the rear (attached to the trailer).

However, with the introduction of the super-single (wide tire) in both Germany and US (not sure about the rest of EU), many of the trucks and trailers have switched to 2 wide tires instead of 4. Some trucks still prefer to have 4 tires per axle for safety reasons. If a tire blows, the other one can still support the weight. If however a super single blows, it may have catastrophic implications.

Edited by DrJB

For a proper 18-wheeler, if you buy the Arocs and build the B-model, you could just modify the truck to a single front axle and put more tires on the trailer.

Or modifications-wise keep the main model's layout and replace the tipper with coupling system for the trailer bed, would make a good tractor and even a road train

In europe, most tractor units have 6 tyres, sometimes they have a liftable steered second or third axle.

Trailers have 3 axles with 6 tyres, so most of them have a maximum of 14 tyres.

I think all the tyres on the american trucks is a little overkill, because here in Holland we drive around with 50.000kg off total weight.

So we do not need all the extra weight on wheels.

And yes, I am a truckdriver, so I can know about these things.

Edited by Dafgek81

The B-Model looks interesting too but for a proper semi truck it has to be an 18-wheeler

I'm not buying this valuable collectable item for adults if it's not proper. Thank you for this valued information.

New video with even more details on the Mercedes Benz Arocs 3245.

L6 engine confirmed now. In this frame we can clearly see 5 cylinders with the last one most likely hidden by the battery box.

merc_arocs_l6.jpg

Edited by Emmi

Operation of the new pneumatics seems to be quite smooth, at least its movement seems to be not as abrupt as the current system's. Either that or the demonstrator was skilled at operating pneumatics, which I doubt :laugh:

Operation of the new pneumatics seems to be quite smooth, at least its movement seems to be not as abrupt as the current system's. Either that or the demonstrator was skilled at operating pneumatics, which I doubt :laugh:

Definitely way smoother than previous pneumatic system. I like it a lot! Also L6 engine confirmed now, yes!

In europe, most tractor units have 6 tyres, sometimes they have a liftable steered second or third axle.

Trailers have 3 axles with 6 tyres, so most of them have a maximum of 14 tyres.

I think all the tyres on the american trucks is a little overkill, because here in Holland we drive around with 50.000kg off total weight.

So we do not need all the extra weight on wheels.

And yes, I am a truckdriver, so I can know about these things.

total weight doesn't matter except on bridges. Most roads are limited to tyre pressures or mass grouping by construction (surface, base, drainage and effect of waves moving through the substrate).

In my part of the world, less than half of our roads are paved, and many residential streets have 50-60psi limits. In fact we have 40km of road per capita (Netherlands has 7km/capita) This is one reason our axle group loads are much lower than Europeans and we therefore tend to run 10 tyre prime movers and 12 tyre trailers.

When you're talking about running on dirt, you get even more rubber on the road - you'd need a lot of sets to build one of these:

road-train-australia-truck.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OECD_countries_by_road_network_size

This is one of my favourite side loader sets - perhaps a mercedes could be modded up as a prime-mover for this one. It'd have to change colour though :)

road-train-assembled-4.jpg

I like the new outrigger design i think ill buy some separately and replace the 42009 ones if i can, and its turntable too.

Edited by Corvette3

Now I'm really going to buy this set, even if it was a 4 i can modify it but why go to all those if as a licensed set Lego can go to all the standard details. The B-Model reminded of this green Arocs semi Mercedes-Benz showed of in AgroTechnica back in 2013 or probably 2014, it has 4 super-sized single tires and if this set has enough wheel travel on it it might pose a good recreation of that Arocs. Just saying :)

... I think all the tyres on the american trucks is a little overkill ...

Not sure I agree (I'm not a truck driver :classic:) but I believe there are local regulations and they are different. In the US, while the total truck weight is governed by limits (there are obligatory weighing stations in most highways and all trucks have to go through them), there are also requirements of max load per axle, and that is done to minimize road damage by heavy trucks. There are (unscrupulous) truckers who would deliberately increase the tire inflation to save on fuel and increase load capacity. While this is not safe for the driver, this also causes more damage to the roads.

That said, any one counted how many tires there are on this new Mercedes Truck?

I already have 50 of them (below) and maybe I should build a very long Australian Road Train (post #541) :sweet:

8258-1.gif8264-1.gif8421-1.gif42009-1.jpg9395-1.jpg8285-1.gif8063-1.gif

Edited by DrJB

It seems as if the crane can only exstend 5 studs, then the tubes will have reached the end point. Can someone who has been at the fair confirm this?

I noticed that to when I saw the videos / pictures from the London Toy Fair / Nuremburg Spielwarenmesse. I still hope that it can extend more than that.

Edited by JanGroen

That said, any one counted how many tires there are on this new Mercedes Truck?

The LEGO Technic Mercedes Benz Arocs 3245 comes with 12 tyres.

The LEGO Technic Mercedes Benz Arocs 3245 comes with 12 tyres.

Thank You. That's another record. Up to now the largest number of tires we've seen was 10 each, on both 42009 and 8285.

42009-1.jpg8285-1.gif

Edited by DrJB

Thank You. That's another record. Up to now the largest number of tires we've seen was 10 each, on both 42009 and 8285.

42009-1.jpg8285-1.gif

Yeah, that's a great thing. Makes all of us AFOLs very happy that TLG decided to give us double rear tyres in this set :)

PS. For me 8285 is still one of the best looking LEGO Technic trucks so far.