Had to sacrifice my ultimate 8043 for parts.... (and 8275 offcourse) ;(

But other than that, they all sit neatly on the shelf, modded like hell :)

I hear you man, the smaller pullback series sets are disassembled for parts for the big guys in my collection, my second Unimog would have been a parts set but after paying $300 for it I built the cab and chassis and modded the back area.

Oh I thought the Worm gear was to 'ease' the boom down, and orherwise (remote)control the speed of the boom, but i can see this make perfect sense!

Roger roger :)

I love Mercedes-Benz trucks so this 42043 set stands as a big brother for this 8110 but until we get our hands on it, I think everything is like 50% true about the set and 50% speculation. I like the B-Model which is a semi-trailer but I prefer the main model, looks very construction grade, I do really hope that it's not a Straight-4 but a scaled version of the Straight-6 MB uses for its trucks. 8110 Unimog was like an exception because you get those beasts in either Straight-4 or Straight-6, but what they lack in cylinders, they gain up for their sheer load of torque. I'm still betting the Arocs will have a Straight-6 on it because it will be a crime if it ain't have it.

The sets looks promising and challenging, only thing is that the wheels are just too small I think, I was hoping something this big of a set would have packed bigger set of rolling stock bur Lego chose it's 3rd largest wheel diameter for use.

I hear you man, the smaller pullback series sets are disassembled for parts for the big guys in my collection, my second Unimog would have been a parts set but after paying $300 for it I built the cab and chassis and modded the back area.

Geez, 300 $. !?

Really ought to have stockpiled 8110 when it was

on sale a while back... :)

I get the flagship every year, that's all, mod it a bit, playing with it and saving them till my children grows old enough to benefit..

I was SO excited when i first saw 8110, havent Really felt that until seeing this Arocs :)

Here are pictures to show that the rear set of wheels also have independent suspension, since I see no other picture on this thread to show. I now understand why they would use hard springs for the front and not the back, because the front has the battery box, meaning more weight there. Hard springs seems like the right choice while soft springs are good for the back set of wheels.

lego_42043_rear_springs.png

lego_42043_rear_springs2.png

Edited by sama

With all the 'nice' parts, this set also qualifies as a viable 'parts pack'.

Geez, 300 $. !?

Really ought to have stockpiled 8110 when it was

on sale a while back... :)

I get the flagship every year, that's all, mod it a bit, playing with it and saving them till my children grows old enough to benefit..

I was SO excited when i first saw 8110, havent Really felt that until seeing this Arocs :)

Yea its quite heavy (I've got about $600 - $800 worth for the set and parts I've put on the Twins), it's pretty good because its free shipping, bought my first one at a Lego Store in NJ second one was on eBay, and its in pristine condition, I try to keep my twin Unimogs for myself until I get settled down and introduce them to my future kids (girl or boy), these are the gems of my collection, don't get me wrong I like the Arocs but I was expecting another Unimog set (UHN-series U5023, the last one was a UGN-series U400), I may just get one but I'm still open to getting another one if the Arocs turns out well worthy of a successor for the 8110. Some of my pics are on my IG account www.instagram.com/mrpauloabesamis

Here are pictures to show that the rear set of wheels also have independent suspension, since I see no other picture on this thread to show. I now understand why they would use hard springs for the front and not the back, because the front has the battery box, meaning more weight there. Hard springs seems like the right choice while soft springs are good for the back set of wheels.

lego_42043_rear_springs.png

lego_42043_rear_springs2.png

That's awesome! :wub:

Just when you thought this set can't get any better it gets better. This shapes up to be one of my most favorite Technic set of all time. August can't come soon enough.

Edited by Emmi

I am pretty sure, that it is NOT a independent suspension in the rear. It is a pendular suspension, that is "just" supported by the grey shock absorbers.

I am pretty sure, that it is NOT a independent suspension in the rear. It is a pendular suspension, that is "just" supported by the grey shock absorbers.

Most likely is going to be live axle (floating axle) suspension, not a full independent, indeed, but neither a pendular (like it is in 42030).

Trucks don't have independent rear suspension. That would be grossly too expensive and too complicated and serve no real puprose.

What kind does this truck have in real life? the model should be replicating that, should it not? im fine with the suspended pendular axle.

In real life they use floating axle with hydraulic suspension system.

A live axle would simulate it quite accurately

The setup of the real thing is like in the picture below. It's a live axle setup. The type of spring/axle guidance that is used can vary, but it'll always be a solid axle, unless it's a tatra :)

Mercedes-Benz_RT440_hypoid_rear_axles.jpg

The setup of the real thing is like in the picture below. It's a live axle setup. The type of spring/axle guidance that is used can vary, but it'll always be a solid axle, unless it's a tatra :)

Mercedes-Benz_RT440_hypoid_rear_axles.jpg

Interesting how the CV joints are NOT mounted correctly. I've always known that, to avoid torsional oscillations, the CV joints must be indexed so that whatever oscillations are put out by the first one must be canceled by the second, and that is NOT the case here.

Edit: I somehow mis-read this picture. The Cardan installation IS correct, That'll teach me not to read the forum late at night. Cheers!

Edited by DrJB

Emmi any news on that promo video?

Nothing yet I'm afraid. Promobricks has another video ready and they promised to have it uploaded today - the only thing we can do is wait.

Interesting how the CV joints are NOT mounted correctly. I've always known that, to avoid torsional oscillations, the CV joints must be indexed so that whatever oscillations are put out by the first one must be canceled by the second, and that is NOT the case here.

Those are not CV joints: http://en.wikipedia....Universal_joint

Edit: oops, didn't see nicjasno's reply.

Edited by jantjeuh

Correct, but you guys missed the main message in my comment. I typed that last night and was being a bit lazy (CV is very short to type). I should have gone for the full name so there is no ambiguity: Those are called Cardan Joints.

That said, my point is still valid. Got any comments for that?

French Canadian Saying: Le doigt montre la lune. Le simple d'esprit regarde le doigt

Which Translates to: The finger points to the moon. The 'simple-minded' looks at the finger :classic:

Of course, all in good fun and no disrespect meant.

Those are not CV joints, but universal joints.

Those are not CV joints: http://en.wikipedia....Universal_joint

Edit: oops, didn't see nicjasno's reply.

Edited by DrJB

Those U-joints are aligned correctly. Imagine what would happen if you cut the middle axle, rotate the rear half of middle axle with the U-joint with 180 degrees (so that the U-joints are oriented in the same way) and start turning the input and output axles (which are side-by-side now) in the same direction. The two half middle axles would oscillate with the same phase so they could be connected.

If the U-joints were aligned in the opposite way, with this line of thought you can see that the phases of the oscillations would be off with 90 degrees, so the half-axles could not be connected.

I hope that's clear, an animation would be cool here...

Anyhoo, from the Wikipedia article:

289px-Cardan_Shaft.jpg

You must be remembering that the U-joints must be 90 degrees out of phase, but that means they are simmetrically oriented in relation to the middle axle.

EDIT: I'm too reliant on spell check, which is not installed on my work computer.

Added a better picture (using google image search for "double cardan shaft")

correct%20angle%20single%20cardan.jpg

Edited by Lipko

Correct, but you guys missed the main message in my comment. I typed that last night and was being a bit lazy (CV is very short to type). I should have gone for the full name so there is no ambiguity: Those are called Cardan Joints.

You typed CV instead of U-Joints (or Cardan Joint) to save time?

Well, when trying to make a point it helps to use the correct terminology. You referred to 'CV joints' (plural), where CV stands for Constant Velocity, and obviously these are not Constant Velocity joints, but universal joints which are not constant velocity (by themselves).

Besides that, your point isn't valid, as Lipko pointed out. The engineers at Mercedes are not idiots! :classic:

Edited by jantjeuh

I know the chances of this being all wheel drive are slim but has anyone been able to confirm it? also does anybody know if both rear axles have differentials or will it just be one axle used to drive the fake engine?