The wonderful story you're about to read, was a collab effort. See if you can guess the authors :wink:

(Setting: A simply but tastefully adorned room in a chateaux near a lake at the border of Kaliphlin and Avalonia. A young lady leans on the windowsill. Enter spy.)

Spy: (bowing) Good day.

Lady: (turning) How is it you are back already? Why, you're all wet!

Spy: (embarrassed) Yes...yes... but I think I have discovered what you were looking for.

Lady: Well?

Spy: Early in the morning, just as the sun peeked up over the horizon and shot a gleam of its crimson rays across the dark and foreboding sky, kissing the golden dome on top of the magnificent stone edifice that loomed...

Lady: I've seen the castle. There's no gold dome.

Spy: There isn't? I was so intent on my task I hardly noticed, you see. Never mind - as I was saying, early in the morning I began to climb the walls, hanging at times only by my nose to the jutting angles of the stony walls, scraping my arms and knees, my heart thumping in my chest for fear I should fall. Once I looked down, and a cold shiver ran through me...

bridge.JPG

Lady: You're making that up too.

Spy: (embarrassed) Yes, I was. Well, to proceed. I climbed the walls and got in through one of the windows. It was an incredibly tight squeeze I assure you! Not only is the window itself tiny - as I'm sure you noticed when you visited (with a bow) - but the bars that crossed it were so small I had to exert all my strength...

Lady: Really, can't we get on with the story? There aren't any bars either!

Spy: I'm sorry. I had no idea you were so observant!

Lady: (in an aggrieved tone) That's not the point! I didn't send you so I could hear some fancy story! I want to hear about his day.

Spy: I promise, I'll stick to the story.

Lady: Then begin!

Spy: Over the wall, in the window. I was on the top of the castle, and could just peek over into Chillon's bedroom - he was just getting up...

1.JPG

Spy: (grunting) So there he is! He sleeps in late, I'll say that much!

2.JPG

Chillon: (stretching) Welcome morning! (jumps out of bed) Ouch! Canopy beds! (rubs head) (yawning) Caleb! (snaps fingers) Where's my breakfast?

Caleb: Right here, sir Chillon.

3.JPG

Chillon: Ah, delicious!

Lady: (interrupting) What was his breakfast?

Spy: Cherries, apple, and chicken.

Lady: Hmm. That's an interesting breakfast.

Spy: (shrugging) Probably part of why he's looking for a wife! To continue -

Spy: (twisting) What is that in the corner? A second ago it looked like another bed, now - goodness, it's a mirror!

4.JPG

Chillon: (humming to himself) Thank you! (continues to hum while walking toward the mirror) So far so good! Here, help me with the rest of my armor.

5.JPG

Spy: Well, whatever you can say for the master the serving-man is even worse! The clown is putting the armor on backwards!

6.JPG

Chillon: (angrily) Whatever is wrong with you, Caleb? You put it on backwards!

Caleb: I'm very sorry. Just a minute sir. (fumbles with the straps)

Chillon: There! You've knotted the top left to the bottom left and the right bottom to my belt! Oh, let me alone, I'll do the rest myself!

Caleb: (penitently) I'm very sorry, indeed. Let me fix it (advancing).

Chillon: No! Go downstairs and tell Mathew I'll be down for a sparring bout in just a minute.

Caleb: Yes sir! (disappears down stairs)

(after fixing his straps, Chillon walks over to the mirror and makes sure everything is just right)

Chillon: Much better! Ah - my cape.

(Caleb returns)

Chillon: Did you tell him?

Caleb: Yes.

Chillon: Here, help me with the cape.

Caleb: Of course (advances, stumbling over chair).

Chillon: Never mind!

Spy: (to Lady) You see? He certainly needs a wife!

Lady: I'll have to admit that much. But I don't know that I'm so desperate!

Spy: It gets better.

Chillon: (fumbling with the wrong side of the cape) I could use some help!

Lady: I thought you said it gets better...

Spy: I meant, in a little while.

Lady: Go on, then.

Spy: (clears throat)

Caleb: (picking the chair up) Coming!

Spy: At last! Perhaps we'll be able to see the 'sparring bout' now.

7.JPG

Spy: I noticed as they left that he hadn't eaten the apple or the cherries. In fact they might have been fake.

Lady: Nothing but chicken for breakfast?!

Spy: Nothing but chicken! Continuing - I snuck down the stairs after they left and got down to the armory just when the sparring match started.

8.JPG

Chillon: There's nothing like the sound of steel clashing on steel!

Matthew: You're right there, sir Chillon!

9.JPG

Chillon: (waving his sword wildly backwards) Here it comes!

Matthew: Watch out sir! The candle! (Chillon's sword cuts through the wax and the candle crashes to the floor.)

10.JPG

(A long pause.)

Lady: Well, what happened?

Spy: (awkwardly) I think I laughed.

Lady: You laughed? What kind of spy are you?

Spy: I know, I know, but it really was funny! Matthew was trying to beat the flame out with the sword, but Chillon hadn't noticed it yet and he was attacking Matthew...

Matthew: Sir Chillon! What are you doing! Can't you see you cut the candle down?

Chillon: (in surprise) You're right! I knocked the candle down! Ha! Eat dust, flames! (Chillon runs to another candle.) Take this!

Matthew: (running up) Sir! It's just a candle!

(laughter from behind pillar)

Chillon: What was that? (spots spy behind pillar) Look! A spy! An enemy at last! Get him! (runs after spy)

Spy: (apologetically) Of course, I turned around and ran. I couldn't let him catch me.

Lady: Of course not.

Spy: So I went up the stairs.

Lady: Naturally.

Spy: And Chillon followed me.

Lady: Not surprising.

12.JPG

Spy: Then I went up the ladder. He kept following.

13.JPG

Lady: Proceed.

Spy: He's very fast.

Lady: What is that supposed to mean?

Spy: He caught me.

Lady: What?!

Chillon: What on earth are you doing here?

Spy: Sir, I assure you my intent was friendly... I.... um...

Lady: I hope you didn't tell him why you were there.

Spy: (clears throat) Um...

Lady: You didn't!

Spy: (hurriedly) No! No! Not at all... er... at least... not all...

Lady: Tell me what you said.

Spy: I think I said... that you sent me... and... that was all.

Chillon: Really! How did you get here?

Spy: See that boat?

Chillon: Can you swim?

Spy: Er... yes.

Chillon: Then do so! (throws spy out window)

15.JPG

Chillon: (shouting) And tell your lady that I'll be there in an hour to see if it's true!

14.JPG

Lady: What?!

Spy: (apologetically) That's what he said.

(enter Serving-man)

Serving-man: (announces) Sir Chillon!

More pictures of the build:

overview.JPG

left.JPG

tower.JPG

in.JPG

stairs.JPG

pillars.JPG

swords2.JPG

mirror.JPG

corner.JPG

This build was based off of the real Chillon Castle from Switzerland, in particular this section: link It's the first castle I've done that is pretty realistically scaled. On the first floor is an armory, and on the second floor is Lord Chillon's room.

The layout was rather challenging, as were the roofs, but I'm pleased with the final result. The thick walls let me use some new window and arrow slit designs. I experimented a bit more with a SNOT wall design, as the tower gradually gets thinner. The bartizan (overhanging corner turret) is my first, and I'll probably be doing lots more of those in the future.

Hope you enjoyed the story and you can see lots more pictures here: link

C&C always appreciated :classic:

Excellent castle, SK!

The stonework and roof are great, as is the interior with the tiled floor, woodwork, and furniture! I like the different styles of windows used. The bartizan is well done, and I am looking forward to more! The story was very interesting and humorous and also leaves me waiting for more!

One of the most beautiful castle builds I've ever seen, especially at this "medium" scale without much outside landscaping stuff. Gorgeous work, outside and in. I really liked the story too, but no idea who wrote it with you. :P

The SNOTted castle stonework on this is fantastic, and it also merges really well with the studs up section! :thumbup: The water is really nice too as is the covered walkway. And of course the interior is great, I really like all the details like the writing desk, the various armor racks, and all those flags hanging around! Great work!

Gee-wiz SK, you're getting really good at this LEGO thing! I would have appreciated a small tree or two at the lake shore, but that's a very small nitpick.

Fantastic work all around!

Master of castles, I bow down to you! Seriously, your casteles are getting better and better which is actually pretty amazing considering where you live. Lot's of inspiration and cool techniques here, the turret being the greatest! I might have to borrow the one or the other idea!

Beautiful castle SK! I love the SNOT walls, they change it up quite nicely. :thumbup: Also, the funny story was great! Was it your bro that you collabed with?...

Most excellent castle! Quite possibly my favorite from you! So many great parts to this and the story was great too. I didn't really read through the comments but was it your younger brother who you posted for in the main history forum whom you collborated with?

Holy moly, fantastic build! Both externally and internally.

I have saved all the photos in my phone for future reference!

Not only the story is great, but this a a wonderful build. The all build is very harmonious and with a very balanced color scheme. The dark orange leafs look great on the black roof.

The buildings being offset is a big plus too and the walls texture is very very nice. And the interiors... Man, I've got to begin to do interiors as well. They give so much life to a MOC. Congrats! :wink:

That's was an entertaining story. That spy needs to retire asap. I love the snot work on this one, great job!

I've noticed some talk on the forum lately about the lack of storytelling in GoH these days. This build certainly counters some of that concern!

Wonderful story, SK, very engaging and humorous. The build, of course, sets a beautiful scene. The interior shots are, as usual, elegant and really bring the build to life. The various furniture pieces and interior decor really are fantastic. The exterior is awesome as well, I've never seen such a SNoT design, or at least not on such a scale. Works great! The corner archery slit is brillant, as are the roofs and the dark orange leaves on top! Stellar build and story here, very much enjoyed it!

I seem to have missed this last week. Really great build, and excellent story-telling. Love the castle, and of course, and the wonderful interiors -- nice detail work there.

So much content there.. The interior shot is so awesome! Really beautiful interior! (and exterior ofc, I liked the contrast of the leaves at roof)