Sign in to follow this  
Kalais

Eurobricks name?

Hello,

maybe it is stupid question but why Eurobricks is named Eurobricks? :)

I mean it is just shortcut for European Bricks? Because Lego is from Denmark, Europe?

Or it has some more deep etymology? :)

Cheers

Eurobricks was called Eurobricks because it was founded with the intention of catering to European LEGO fans and the Fair Play rules dictates that LEGO can't be used in fan-sites... Hence Eurobricks. Of course, being set free on the internet meant many people from outside of Europe could find and use EB without being in Europe but the name is the name and we keep it.

Eurobricks was called Eurobricks because it was founded with the intention of catering to European LEGO fans and the Fair Play rules dictates that LEGO can't be used in fan-sites... Hence Eurobricks. Of course, being set free on the internet meant many people from outside of Europe could find and use EB without being in Europe but the name is the name and we keep it.

Thx for reply :)

Has eurobricks ever done a breakdown of number of people from different countries?

Pretty easy for admin, just look into statistcs with 1 click ;)

Could be interesting to see which countries got the most visits tho :)

Has eurobricks ever done a breakdown of number of people from different countries?

I don't they woudl bother, and number of members is one thing, active members is a completely different issue. As we can have a lot of one time guest from China or whatever and origins of some most involved participants may vary.

I don't think that anyone cares realy. Most important thing is to have good time and discussions with everyone, no matter where they come from and what ethnicity.

But there is a map here if You wanna check it

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81006

one click to show that "european members" form like only a 1/3. Though of course there's just a very limited number of members who wanted to be shown here. But... statistically there might an element of truth behind it :wink:

I don't they woudl bother, and number of members is one thing, active members is a completely different issue. As we can have a lot of one time guest from China or whatever and origins of some most involved participants may vary.

I don't think that anyone cares realy. Most important thing is to have good time and discussions with everyone, no matter where they come from and what ethnicity.

But there is a map here if You wanna check it

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81006

one click to show that "european members" form like only a 1/3. Though of course there's just a very limited number of members who wanted to be shown here. But... statistically there might an element of truth behind it :wink:

Thank you for the link. Caulk it up to intellectual curiosity sparked by the subject of eurobricks origins.

Maybe in the grand scheme origins do not matter. But on a personal level aren't we all curious about who we chat with on occasion.

And if it didn't matter why put Poland as your country? It in some ways can serve as a reminder that although we can be very different from one another we can still share common interests.

And if it didn't matter why put Poland as your country?

There are quite a few practical reasons - it is, for example, always nice to know where somebody is from if they ask questions about set availability, shipping costs, sales and so on... :)

There are quite a few practical reasons - it is, for example, always nice to know where somebody is from if they ask questions about set availability, shipping costs, sales and so on... :)

Yes, that was my point.

What i meant is not that members' origins don't interest me, but that it's not realy the interest for our moderators, or at least i haven't ever seen them interested in the nationality matter.

And statistics and origins are two different things.

I can be interested in someones origin and it's always fun to have a group of 20 friends from 20 different countries, but i don't bother to check how many of them are from which part of the world.

And i keep forgetting where someones from a lot of times :laugh:

Seriously, i remember them more by their passions, and builds, not by nationality. Would be probably different if we could be able to see their faces or follow them on facebook. :blush:

Being faceless they stay faceless and nationless :wink:

On the other hand i know that there's a lot of Poles here at Eurobricks, some of them realy involved but somehow i don't really talk with any of them, so i don't care if theres 10 or 10 thousand of them :wink:

Personally i always like to discuss the issue of a country or an area where somene lives, cause it's always a subject one can easily catch into, and its fun to learn more about other places.

Even more fun and important if you're stuck in a certain place or country, as i am, well right now at least :classic:

Edited by Mazin

I asked a similar question some time back. The answer from a staff member was that its difficult to track "automatically", since a lot of people dont publish their country of origin (or residence, which isnt distinguished, now that I think about it), and IIRC because there is no standardized term according to which a program could allocate members - one might write theyre from the United States or US or USA or America or NY,NY or any other permutation that would probably have to be inputed manually. At least thats how I understood it.

Eurobricks, Bricks from Europe. Don't you love them? :wink:

It took me a long time to realize this site isn't only for Europeans. For about a year or two after I heard about the site, I didn't join because I thought Americans weren't allowed. :blush:

^ Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out as well. I finally noticed some discussions about US-based events and stores and looked at the "Country" tag for the people posting about it.

Well, it does not restrict non-Europeans like myself from joining Eurobricks. Just that, our Eurobricks founding forefathers originate from Europe, along with the founding members.