^ Make another Fantasy theme (FE2) before transition to a Renaissance-style theme. That would help, and lots of people here, including myself, like Fantasy Era.

Also, I'm not sure there are going to be any static Castles. The one coming out next year..... moves :purrr: <--- Heard it was going to be the largest set in the first wave.

Oh, and there's NO Space in this theme. There's nothing even remotely Spacey about this theme, other than the logo. I have to idea why people keep calling this a Space theme.

For the record:

The following are Space themes:

70's and 80's

Classic Space

Blacktron I

Futuron

Space Police I

90's

M-Tron

Blacktron II

Space Police II

Ice Planet 2002

Unitron

Spyrius

Explorians

Roboforce

UFO

Insectoids

2000's

Life on Mars

Mars Mission

Space Police III

2010's

Alien Conquest

Galaxy Squad

The following are Castle themes:

70's and 80's

Classic Castle

Crusaders

Black Falcons

Forestmen

Black Knights

90's

Wolfpack

Dragon Masters

Royal Knights

Dark Forest

Fright Knights

2000's

KKI

KKII

Fantasy Era

2010's

Kingdoms

Castle

Nexo Knights

I guess we'll have to see the pictures to make further judgements, but there's no way this is winding up in the Sci-Fi forum. Everyone can relax, this is a legit Castle theme. It's a little odd, but it's legit. :grin:

Edited by BrickJagger

I think LEGO is doing this to have something new in the Castle theme. 2013's line was incrediby stale, trying to combine the historical Kingdoms with the Fantasy Era while trying to make it feel "classic". However, if they had redone either of the previous themes, people would complain about lack of originality. This is guaranteed to be new, and LEGO's banking on it to be successful as a franchise. Next time they try pure Castle. it may have a new twist or focus on new elements.

Here's a bit more of info, the ultimate monster masher set is just going to include a regular generic monster. So you can expect them throughout the sets, but this would be the cheapest way to get them. Also, those pun names make sense except the Aaron and arrow. That just doesn't go well together considering Robin will most likely have a bow and arrow. Macy is most likely going to have a mace as her accessory. Let's hope for pictures really soon!

Having now seen the logo and read through many comments, I have some observations:

- the logo uses very bright colors (sky blue, silver, yellow, red, orange) and appears to be more futuristic than medieval

- I hope that the use of those bright colors does not translate into a line that is targeted at very young kids

- although, in many cases the color scheme of the logo does translate into the sets themselves so I think we can expect these colors to appear in the sets

- I think this theme will be more of a riff on MOTU or Warhammer 40K than a classic Castle theme which I think will be interesting

- the logo itself doesn't really "give anything away" in terms of a unifying theme or feature (for example: Galaxy's Squad's logo gave away the splitting feature)

Basically, I'm optimistic that the sets may take the castle/knights theme in a different and ultimately interesting direction. But I'm concerned that they will utilize a garish and too childlike color/deco scheme. 2015 saw the curtain call of 2 Action themes, Chima and Ultra Agents, the former targeted at younger kids, the latter at older kids (and I guess AFOL's). With Ninjago perhaps skewering to an older audience, I wonder which direction Nexo Knights will go in?

In an unrelated matter: since there is a set that is called "Knighton Disc Launcher" can we assume that Knighton is the location in which this theme takes place or at least the home-base/city of the Nexo Knights? It's either that or the name of the hero faction.

Also, let me add my voice to the "change the name of the thread" chorus. The name of the theme is now known so time to stop calling it "Castle 2016".

You guys should love this theme because if it's a success (probably will be) it'll reel in tons of new castle fans. Once NK ends, the next subtheme will probably be historical to cater to the NK fans, now several years older than they were before, and classic fans at the same time

I'll provide you with a similar example that didn't play out the way you suggest it should.

Final Fantasy - it started out as a pseudo Dungeons and Dragons type experience - with a hint of steampunk/sci-fi mixed in. Final Fantasy 7 comes along with an anime style. You could argue that 7 brought more fans into the series, which would be a good thing...and then they'd go back to making games in the style/setting they used to (medieval), and everybody would be happy. That wasn't the case, however. When FF7 was a big success, Squaresoft (now SquareEnix) decided to continue making future Final Fantasy games in that anime style that 7 used, because 7 was a big hit....largely leaving the medieval roots in the dust. They haven't abandoned the medieval genre altogether, but most of their single player flagship titles for the past 15-20 years have been largely anime/modern themed, with medieval relegated to MMOs and small budget projects.

Edited by thetang22

^ I guess, but so far Knights on Robo Horses vs Lava Monsters doesn't seem like it's too far away from Fantasy Era, which included Knights vs Trolls on Hamster Wheels. Lego could use another FE as a transition so the change isn't too abrupt.

@ amazingbricks: About the name Aaron; the relation could be 'iron' which could mean he is a blacksmith type, and be the inventor of the group.

I believe the world these knights inhabit will be like MOTU. Magic, creatures, and castles, with some technology mixed in.

@ amazingbricks: About the name Aaron; the relation could be 'iron' which could mean he is a blacksmith type, and be the inventor of the group.

You have a fair point there

What's wrong with a female knight? She'll probably still wear a helmet...

My guess is that this will have something to do with magical technology, to justify the fantastical side of the theme.

^ The age range for Nexo Knights is 8-14, which (I think) is older than Ninjago's.

Nope, Ninjago (at least the current wave) is 9-14.

For Reference: Fantasy Era was 7-14.

Edited by DarthBrickus

Nope, Ninjago (at least the current wave) is 9-14.

I'm looking at pictures of the boxes right now and they range from 6-14 to 8-14, although most are 7-14 :wink:

Y'know, if you're in the market for Castle parts and are worried that this theme might be too space-y, do keep in mind that the Elves theme is set to continue next year, and will probably continue to be a great source for fantasy/historical parts.

Personally, I'm excited for this theme for a couple reasons. Firstly, it sounds like the sort of epic Science-Fantasy theme Knights Kingdom II could've been if it stuck closer to the early concepts (with ten years' worth of improvements in set design, to boot). Secondly, the lack of a normal historic/fantasy theme probably increases the chances of a Legend of Zelda theme (I would hope that the numerous failed ideas projects would be enough to convince Lego and Nintendo that there's merit in working together, even if doing so with the budgetary restrictions of Ideas would not allow for it—and it'd make sense to launch such a theme alongside next year's Wii U Zelda game). And thirdly, we've been without both Space and Castle themes for a while, so there's no better time to come out with a theme that's a little of both.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Lyichir, but Nintendo has a deal with K'NEX. Granted, I've only seen them make Mario related stuff, but I doubt they will go to a separate building toy company to produce something based on one of its other classic properties.

As for Macy, it could be a man's name, but most likely it is a woman's name here. I believe the female term is 'knight errant'. In KKI the princess was armored. Come to think of it, I have a Knight Errant Magic: The Gathering card.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Lyichir, but Nintendo has a deal with K'NEX. Granted, I've only seen them make Mario related stuff, but I doubt they will go to a separate building toy company to produce something based on one of its other classic properties.

As for Macy, it could be a man's name, but most likely it is a woman's name here. I believe the female term is 'knight errant'. In KKI the princess was armored. Come to think of it, I have a Knight Errant Magic: The Gathering card.

The deal with K'Nex is for Mario specifically—Nintendo would have to be stupid to universally grant the building toy license to every one of their franchises to a single company, particularly if that company were only going to utilize a single one of those franchises. And it's not like all of Lego's licensing partners are required to license all of their products exclusively to Lego, either—in fact, Paramount licensed Ninja Turtles to Lego and Star Trek: Into Darkness to Hasbro's Kre-o line within the same year.

I'm not saying a Zelda theme is by any means a sure thing—more of a pipe dream, to be honest. But considering repeated Lego Ideas proposals have proven that a market exists for Zelda building sets, and yet Nintendo has not licensed the property to a competitor, the possibility of such a theme is still very real. And the continued lack of a high-fantasy theme from Lego means that, at the very least, competition with a currently active theme would not come up as a reason for why such a theme couldn't be made.

I believe the female term is 'knight errant'.

Knight Errant just means a "wandering knight".

I'm a little confused why people would be offended by a female knight. While they weren't common in history/literature...they DID exist.

I personally look forward to have a female knight. Normally in the castle thenes, the only females we get are a princess. It's about time they get a female to be a knight. Expect her to have a mace and a helmet to cover her face. Some might think she's a guy at first but removing the helmet will confirm she's a female.

(without stirring any controversy) I do hope that this line gets at least one constraction wave. Sounds like a theme that would bring a lot of unique and cool parts.

Anyways, hopefully this theme brings some large sets but not at a too high of a price point.

(without stirring any controversy) I do hope that this line gets at least one constraction wave. Sounds like a theme that would bring a lot of unique and cool parts.

That's what the "Ultimate" sets seem to be.

I'm all for a female knight. Before, every female was a peasant or a damsel in distress. Now we have a female lava monster and a female knight!

I'm all for a female knight. Before, every female was a peasant or a damsel in distress. Now we have a female lava monster and a female knight!

Ultimate sets are something with accessories, Speedorz/Spinners/Airjitzu stuff.

The Ultimate sets are figure packs with weapons. Trust me. :classic:

EDIT: Ninja'd by Sci. :grin:

I wonder if Jestro is leading the Monster Mashers. Why would an evil Jester lead golems? :wacko:

Edited by BrickJagger

The Ultimate sets are figure packs with weapons. Trust me. :classic:

EDIT: Ninja'd by Sci. :grin:

I wonder if Jestro is leading the Monster Mashers. Why would an evil Jester lead golems? :wacko:

Why not? Evil jesters are often associated with magic.

Figure packs seem nice. Would they be like the Chima Tribe Packs?

EDIT: Since one of the heroes is called Macy, would it be too much to hope for a proper LEGO mace, instead of the flail they've been using?

Edited by 8BrickMario

I personally look forward to have a female knight. Normally in the castle thenes, the only females we get are a princess. It's about time they get a female to be a knight. Expect her to have a mace and a helmet to cover her face. Some might think she's a guy at first but removing the helmet will confirm she's a female.

Actually, we had a female knight back in first KK, Princess Storm. http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Princess_Storm

I think a female knight is as good as a male one. Hopefully, her bodyprint isn't too sci-fi/steampunk-ish so us traditional Castle fans can also use it in MOCs. What I'm actually interested are the lava monsters. If they are not lava pumping machines but actually are fire demons reanimated from molten pools by magic (or something like that, I hope you get the idea), I'd buy them in mass and use them as minions of the Evil Wizard from CMF 13 :grin: