I can understand why Lego would make a theme like this, after the success of Ninjago they wanted to make a theme just as cool and Nexo Knights does fit the bill, but when TLG announced this theme, they should have said, We have a cool new Action theme coming out that's Sci-fi vs Medieval Fantasy, Called Nexo Knights, this would have clarified it quite a bit, rather than saying we have a New Castle theme, which is really misleading.

Right I'm back from New York and it's amazing Comic-Con. So, first, thanks to everyone who defended me/LEGO but please speak your mind, tell me you think I'm wrong if that's what you believe and be honest about what you think, I can take it (and compared to what Eurobricks said about the stuff I did for the original Agents theme when those pictures first leaked everything here is a lovely pat on the back :) ).

First of all, thank you for posting here and inviting us to speak our minds. Very cool of you.

Secondly, I'm only posting here because you solicited our feedback. I believe this thread should mostly be for people who are fans of the theme, and it is beating a dead horse to continue to berate the theme if it doesn't appeal to your sensibilities (I'm including myself here).

There is lots of discussion of what regular castle theme fans would like to see. This thread is just one example:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115655

I have posted my opinion of the Nexo Knights theme multiple times, but simply put, there's nothing in it for me, even from a parts or minifigure perspective.

With that, I will once again slink back to the historic themes section. Even though there is no new product to discuss there, there's always plenty of discussion and great MOCing going on. There's a reason there are more topics and posts in the Historic Themes section than anywhere else on this forum. We're active and we're passionate. I eagerly await the day when there's something new to add to my collection. Thanks again for posting and listening.

I can understand why Lego would make a theme like this, after the success of Ninjago they wanted to make a theme just as cool and Nexo Knights does fit the bill, but when TLG announced this theme, they should have said, We have a cool new Action theme coming out that's Sci-fi vs Medieval Fantasy, Called Nexo Knights, this would have clarified it quite a bit, rather than saying we have a New Castle theme, which is really misleading.

That's more or less what the LEGO Group DID say when they officially announced it. The original rumors that it was a new castle theme were just that — rumors — and they surfaced long before the LEGO Group made any kind of announcement. I don't think even the retailer's catalogs which weren't meant for public eyes identified it as a castle theme or the successor to past castle themes? Every bit of official copy we've seen about the Nexo Knights theme seems to emphasize that it's a brand-new experience rather than identify it as a part of a much older category.

A memo to a store manager (as mentioned in this topic's first post) is not an "announcement", and even if it were, we never got to see said memo, the store manager just recalled its contents second-hand. So it's easy to assume the actual message might have gotten distorted.

Edited by Aanchir

A couple new character videos are up on the Nexo Knights site!

Jestro's one is pretty funny! :laugh:

Edited by CM4Sci

A couple new character videos are up on the Nexo Knights site!

Jestro's one is pretty funny! :laugh:

Think we might be getting a new sheep piece?

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Also does anyone think Clays helmet looks very Optimus Prime-ish

Agree! Thats what I thought when I first saw it down, it's minifig Optimus Prime as a modern knight! haha

Im really liking the visors, they look sweet

A new hat piece for Jestro was totally needed

Seriously....

Edited by Robert8

Is that Merlok 1.0 in the Merlok 2.0's video?

Because he looks fine :classic:

Doubt it. Probably just another cameo character we'll never see like the classic castle reference characters from the Knights' bios. :sceptic:

Although... a purple wizard would be real swanky. :wub:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I hate to do this, since this is my first (non introducing) post, but i have to say that i was really dissappointed when i first saw the Nexo Knights line.

I can imagine many ppl here like the Lego Movie and mixing up themes and stuff, creating "funny" things, but i'm really not a fan of it...

Don't get me wrong i really loved the Lego Vikings and later the dwarves and orcs fantasy line, but this new NK line is EXACTLY what i was always hoping lego would avoid doing.

Edited by Murrig Icehammer

Ya know guys I've been waiting on BlackTron to return...For Real. The canopies are still my favorite.

But c'mon folks, Lego is the one product that you don't have to wait to get something you really want. Is bley really hard to get? If you're that disappointed, design exactly what you want with LDD and Brinklink it. Show Lego how to make realistic Castle interesting.

Myself I like the Hover Horses and techy appearance better than those stiff non articulated horses and I bet real money kids do too!

Who knows, perhaps Nexo Knights will visit a normal Village.

Edited by Rayskull

That's more or less what the LEGO Group DID say when they officially announced it. The original rumors that it was a new castle theme were just that — rumors — and they surfaced long before the LEGO Group made any kind of announcement. I don't think even the retailer's catalogs which weren't meant for public eyes identified it as a castle theme or the successor to past castle themes? Every bit of official copy we've seen about the Nexo Knights theme seems to emphasize that it's a brand-new experience rather than identify it as a part of a much older category.

A memo to a store manager (as mentioned in this topic's first post) is not an "announcement", and even if it were, we never got to see said memo, the store manager just recalled its contents second-hand. So it's easy to assume the actual message might have gotten distorted.

All true, but remember a LEGO designer himself claimed it was a Castle theme. Whether that means anything "official" from a company policy view, I dont know, but its as official as we are going to get. He even implied that there would be no traditional Castle theme out while NK lasted, since this theme takes up the Castle slot. And if NK does well and reaches evergreen status, what Im afraid of is that it might do to Castle what Star wars did to Space.

A new hat piece for Jestro was totally needed

Seriously....

Maybe he'll get it in some future sets...? Please, Lego..?

While I don't love the current jester hat, a redesign would be a waste of resources for LEGO. Objectively, there's nothing wrong with it, and an gravity-defying alternate version would be less useful than the current one. I do wish it had some stitches and scratches printed on it, but realistically, the shape isn't gonna change.

Well, there was grey (as seen in some of the helmets), but LEGO was reluctant to use it for actual building elements out of fear of kids building tanks and other war machines.

Personally, I have a hard time sympathizing with complaints that Castle sets today are too colorful. I feel like bright colors make the sets feel "more LEGO", and that the sets would be a lot more boring if you swapped all the blue accents from sets like #70402 or #70404 with another color like Dark Stone Grey. Granted, I've always been drawn to brightly-colored sets — some of my favorite childhood themes were Aquazone and Bionicle, and some of my favorite themes today are Bionicle, Ninjago, and Elves, all of which use bright colors extensively.

The Lord of the Rings sets may have felt authentic with their use of neutral browns and greys or desaturated greens. But they also felt somewhat dull to me color-wise. Just because today's color palette makes more realistic color palettes possible does not mean they're any more desirable than they were in the 80s and 90s. Even in non-fantasy themes like City or Friends, "realism" is not a strict objective.

I've seen a lot of people bring up that factions like Wolfpack and Forestmen are more interesting to them than the typical lion or dragon heraldry. However, there have NEVER been a whole lot of sets from either of those factions. If LEGO ever thought these could support a Castle theme as effectively as the more iconic heraldic symbols, don't you think LEGO would have made more sets of these factions in the first place? As it stands, Forestmen and Wolfpack have always been characterized as small bands of rogues and bandits — they have never been on equal footing with the Castle theme's bigger factions like the Lion Knights, Black Knights, or Crusaders which all used lion and dragon heraldry.

Now, Black Falcons are another story. I could easily see LEGO reviving or re-imagining that theme's heraldry as one of the two main factions in a future Castle theme, especially since they've used falcons, hawks, and eagles for iconic characters in other themes like Knights' Kingdom II, Legends of Chima, and now Nexo Knights.

There was indeed grey, I was mistaken, but it was not used extensively at the time. Tanks and war machines? Like Fortrex?

It's not even the dark browns, greys, or greens that I'm interested in. I can buy bricks in a multitude of colors to suit my fancy. It's mostly the minifigures, to be honest. And Lord of the Rings did a great job on the minifigures, the colors are superb. Dark Red, Dark Blue, and Purple (LEGO calls it Medium Lilac, I'd like to see a Dark Lilac), as well as "Sand" colors are the ones I'm really hoping to see in sets, and primarily on minifigures. I'm not drawn to brightly colored sets, my favorite childhood themes were Castle, and the Black and Grey castles of old are amazing, even if they could have been better. And bricks and techniques exist now to make sets like that much better. My favorite themes today are Lord of the Rings / Hobbit, Superheroes, and Star Wars, all of which use dark colors frequently. Even recent Ninjago sets have gotten darker, which increases their appeal to me. I just don't like the color combinations they use.

Wolfpack and Forestmen are probably less interesting to someone like you who was never into them to begin with. Those were my favorites when I was younger because they offered something different in a Castle theme from the typical King and Knight combination. While it's true that they are smaller factions, I don't think that they couldn't be supported. They could easily accompany another larger faction (or 3). There are many here who crave a Castle theme with Elves, which are arguably a lot like the Forestmen. LOTR / Hobbit sets with Elves were very popular, as were the CMF Forestman, Elf, and Forest Maiden. I'd say there's an audience to support that. Black Falcons would be another great faction to see again, the knight in the Kingdoms Joust was well received.

But c'mon folks, Lego is the one product that you don't have to wait to get something you really want. Is bley really hard to get? If you're that disappointed, design exactly what you want with LDD and Brinklink it. Show Lego how to make realistic Castle interesting.

I can absolutely BrickLink bricks, if that's what I'm looking for. And I do. But new Castle sets bring new minifigures, shields, armor, barding, flags, and other such things that cannot be bought because they do not exist yet. That's a major draw to a new Castle theme for me.

Edited by x105Black

Sand blue and sand green still get use, but sand red is an inactive color (it's in the LDD Legacy pallet). I'd also like a return of metallic green and metal blue.

In the images or Fortrex there looks to be two new large panel pieces. The one observed prominently, and one that appears to be a 1x6x5 with three rectangular indents. I can see at least two in the available images (the high quality front image and the open back image from ToyArk), but there could be as many as four of these 1x6x5 parts. Unless I am mistaken, and it's just printing or a sticker.

There was indeed grey, I was mistaken, but it was not used extensively at the time. Tanks and war machines? Like Fortrex?

Well, I think LEGO was more worried about kids building realistic tanks and war machines — things that would be too reminiscent of WWII for Danish and German households. They probably wouldn't have cared about kids just taking a castle and plunking it down on a set of wheels/treads. That's the kind of creativity they generally tend to encourage.

Wolfpack and Forestmen are probably less interesting to someone like you who was never into them to begin with. Those were my favorites when I was younger because they offered something different in a Castle theme from the typical King and Knight combination. While it's true that they are smaller factions, I don't think that they couldn't be supported. They could easily accompany another larger faction (or 3). There are many here who crave a Castle theme with Elves, which are arguably a lot like the Forestmen. LOTR / Hobbit sets with Elves were very popular, as were the CMF Forestman, Elf, and Forest Maiden. I'd say there's an audience to support that. Black Falcons would be another great faction to see again, the knight in the Kingdoms Joust was well received.

I actually WAS into Wolfpack. Sort of. There wasn't much to be "into" when there were literally just three sets. Forestmen were before my time, aside from the "Dark Forest" subtheme introduced in North America around 1996 or so. Again, just three sets, and I don't think I actually ended up getting any of them. I was mostly into Aquazone, Exploriens, and Time Cruisers that year.

My childhood preferred Castle themes were Dragon Masters (the American name for Dragon Knights), Royal Knights, and Fright Knights. 6048 Majisto's Magical Workshop is still a top-notch design in my book, even if it's a bit gimmicky and had a poor price-per-piece. Fright Knights definitely hasn't aged well (most of my childhood favorite themes haven't), but I can't pretend its named characters, magic, and dragons didn't fire up my imagination at the time. I'm a sucker for character-driven fantasy themes, and these three themes first helped introduce fantasy elements like wizards, witches, dragons, skeletons, and ghosts to LEGO Castle. Yes, I know ghosts technically originated in the Black Knights sets, but again, those were before my time, and I hardly knew about them except from posters and stuff I picked up at yard sales.

Anyway, I agree that a faction like Wolfpack or Forestmen could be interesting! But I feel like as "renegade" factions, they work most effectively as a "third party" that functions independently of two main knight factions. And no Castle theme since Fantasy Era has really been large enough to support more than two factions. In fact, it's much more difficult for ANY theme to support more than two factions anymore than it used to be, on account of sets not staying available as long as they used to. Back in the day, my big Castle poster advertised years and years of Castle themes. But today, sets tend to be available for two years, tops, and by the time they've been around one year stores are already looking to clear out their old stock to make way for new sets. So LEGO can no longer just introduce sets one year in the faith that they'll still be out there next year when they introduce a new, competing faction. Forestmen and Wolfpack have mostly gone the way of M:Tron and Unitron, two similar-sized Space factions that came out around the same time. The way LEGO themes are released today, there's less room for independent "third parties" not strictly allied with one of the two main competing factions.

Maybe if Nexo Knights gets bigger it might be able to support some sort of futuristic Forestmen or another renegade faction. I wouldn't count on it, though, unless that faction were specifically allied with the good guys or bad guys. Even Legends of Chima, with as many distinct tribes as it had, made it pretty obvious that some factions were "good" and some were "evil", and while those factions would occasionally switch sides, there was little middle-ground. Likewise, Ninjago had its own "renegade" character this year, Ronin, but it was abundantly clear (in the sets, at least) that he was on the side of the ninja.

I can absolutely BrickLink bricks, if that's what I'm looking for. And I do. But new Castle sets bring new minifigures, shields, armor, barding, flags, and other such things that cannot be bought because they do not exist yet. That's a major draw to a new Castle theme for me.

Third-party parts are always an option, especially in the minifigure department. However I understand that's not really an option if you're a purist.

What is the name of the Mech one(30327)? Any ideia about how much it will cost? Is the only one i'm interested in, just because it is a Mech.... XD

Edited by Archidelic

What is the name of the Mech one(30327)? Any ideia about how much it will cost? Is the only one i'm interested in, just because it is a Mech.... XD

That was an "extra" set not included in the initial leaks, so we don't have much info on it other than it's called something along the lines of "King's Mech" and is most likely an exclusive...

That was an "extra" set not included in the initial leaks, so we don't have much info on it other than it's called something along the lines of "King's Mech" and is most likely an exclusive...

It's in the retailer's catalog, doesn't that mean it's not?

It's in the retailer's catalog, doesn't that mean it's not?

It wasn't in the retailers catalogue as far as the pages I saw; perhaps I missed it as those pages weren't leaked... Sorry for the misinformation...

Edited by legozebra