I think that the blow was heavy because it was the second time that we thought we where going to get a Castle theme and then nothing. The Elves theme hit hard on our heads.

I really hope that the NK evolves like Ninjago and Chima did becaming great themes but now NK won't appeal to most AFOLs that where waiting for a Castle or new Fantasy Era.

Hello guys,

my humble thoughts on the theme :

-I love the Fortrex, the mini horses/speeders, 95% of the minifigs, especially Jestro

-I understand why Lego has done it, but I would prefer the theme to be a bit less childish (Ultra Agents and Galaxy Squad works better for me than the silly trailer)

-I would prefer a bit less flashy technology and more magic on the good guys side. A bit less blue and flashy reddish orange as well...

-I would prefer the lava bad guys to be less black and red. Some more orange, purple or brown would have been nice

-I really dislike the designs of Lance big Horse, the knights disc launcher sets, the blue helmet and orange face of the basic knight soldiers

-I find lot of sets have some potentials but miss it, which didn't bother me as I loved to "improve" official sets

-I hope Merlock 2.0 will be in a summer set... (AFOL would have probably loved a proper library/lab, with lot of books and some astronomy and alchimic stuff...)

-I hope the 2017 bad guys will be some necromantic army or a Orcs horde

-I am so gonna "improve" Jestro set by tripling his size to give a fight to the Fortrex, adding a proper catapult on the top, throwing trans-orange rocks, a bigger and higher head, opening as a assault tower, two arms on smaller wheels on the fronts, with a ram in between, LOTR style, and a XVIII century machinery to propel it, and maybe some good guy running inside the big wheel if they can fit...

Edited by ChristopheQ

Right I'm back from New York and it's amazing Comic-Con. So, first, thanks to everyone who defended me/LEGO but please speak your mind, tell me you think I'm wrong if that's what you believe and be honest about what you think, I can take it (and compared to what Eurobricks said about the stuff I did for the original Agents theme when those pictures first leaked everything here is a lovely pat on the back :) ).

We designers won't stop reading the thread (hi guys), here and elsewhere, because it's the first feedback we get and because generally our adult fans are our harshest critics and if we can win over some of you with such a radical departure from traditional castle themes then we're half way there.

The only thing I do ask castle fans to remember is that you are adults, you can wait a few years, build models yourself, show us what you think a more classic castle theme should be, because although we would never copy you the styles and part usage you show us can have an effect. Look at Space police 3, without the AFOL space fans influence those sets would have looked very different, the way fans were building space MOCs was reflected in the sets. This is a chance to rest the traditional classic castle theme for a year or two, give it a chance to breath. In the meantime the fans can take the parts in Nexo-Knights and Ninjago (and Scooby Doo - whatever) to show us what is possible. This is the point of LEGO bricks after all.

I appreciate this thoughtful post. It's much more professional in tone. I understand that you designers are people, and that reading such harsh criticisms can be frustrating after you've spent so long working on a theme. Glad you had a good time at the Comic-Con.

I have been pretty blunt about my feelings on these sets, which mostly stem from the fact that I am a classic Castle fan. That's why it's a lot of disappointment, and at times contempt. It is indeed a radical departure, and it really doesn't offer much that I would find useful in a traditional Castle setting. Everything is so silly, very bright and colorful, and very science fiction. I'll also agree with another post above that it was a one-two punch to Castle fans between Elves and Nexo Knights. Both times we expected something we would love, and both times we were completely let down.

But to be completely honest with you, if I put aside my feelings about traditional medieval fantasy, I actually think you all did a nice job on these sets. So far, for what it is, I think you've done a great job doing what you set out to do. For a cyber-castle theme, it's a pretty strong one. It looks like a futuristic version of classic Castle, a hybrid of Castle and Space. It is a refreshing twist, just not the twist most of us were hoping to see. But while I may not agree with the direction on this theme, I can still appreciate the work you've put into it, and I can appreciate the overall look and feel of a new type of theme. I also understand that this type of theme (and virtually all LEGO) is aimed at a much more youthful audience than us AFOLs. I can see a lot of small boys enjoying these sets. I'd like to see this theme get progressively darker, I think that would add a lot more value to adult fans.

I like the little touches and homages to the classic Castle era. I love the fact that you used updated versions of classic heraldry. Lots of really cool parts and techniques are present. I will actually be purchasing at least a couple of these sets. More likely to purchase the villains in this theme, as they seem to be more versatile in a medieval setting, but I'm not going to shy away from the cyber-knights entirely. I'll likely give more opinions when I see these sets in person.

I look forward to seeing what kind of brilliant ideas come out of the next Castle theme after this resting period, and I hope it doesn't take too long. I can see why you were a designer on this theme. It definitely fits your futuristic aesthetic, and it's something you're talented at building. I'm guessing you had a hand in designing that mech, which looks really nice. I might get that one to stand next to my golden ninja mech. But I've also seen some of your Castle creations, and I won't argue that you don't know what traditional Castle fans want. You've done a great job in that department already, and I'm sure you'll do some good things when the time comes. I'll try to do my part with some MOCs in the meantime. I'm really eager to see some specific things, but we'll leave that for another discussion. For now, I just wanted to respond to your more reasoned post with one of my own.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with us.

Recently we learned that there will be no Castle sets in 2015. Knowing this, I went to my local Lego store and tracked down the store manager. I asked him if he knew if there were any Castle related products coming out that he knew of, and, to my surprise, he did. He said that Lego had sent him a memo recently that said they were working on a new Castle line due out late 2015- Mid 2016 at the latest.

When I asked him what kind of Castle theme it would be, he said "It's a lot like the Castle theme from a few years ago, the one with the Dwarves and Trolls." I believe that this is referring to the 2007-2009 Castle line. He also said that the current Castle line will receive no further products and should be off the shelves soon.

You want to tell me this fugly nexo knights are like trolls and dwarves castle.

The only thing that the manager was right about are trolls but they are not in the set.

Right I'm back from New York and it's amazing Comic-Con. So, first, thanks to everyone who defended me/LEGO but please speak your mind, tell me you think I'm wrong if that's what you believe and be honest about what you think, I can take it (and compared to what Eurobricks said about the stuff I did for the original Agents theme when those pictures first leaked everything here is a lovely pat on the back :) ).

We designers won't stop reading the thread (hi guys), here and elsewhere, because it's the first feedback we get and because generally our adult fans are our harshest critics and if we can win over some of you with such a radical departure from traditional castle themes then we're half way there.

The only thing I do ask castle fans to remember is that you are adults, you can wait a few years, build models yourself, show us what you think a more classic castle theme should be, because although we would never copy you the styles and part usage you show us can have an effect. Look at Space police 3, without the AFOL space fans influence those sets would have looked very different, the way fans were building space MOCs was reflected in the sets. This is a chance to rest the traditional classic castle theme for a year or two, give it a chance to breath. In the meantime the fans can take the parts in Nexo-Knights and Ninjago (and Scooby Doo - whatever) to show us what is possible. This is the point of LEGO bricks after all.

Well, I can't comment on most of the sets until I've got them in hand, but I would like to say thank you to you and the other designers (in particular to whoever designed it) for giving the King's Mech knees. It's been so long since I've seen knees in a normal set :grin:

(and compared to what Eurobricks said about the stuff I did for the original Agents theme when those pictures first leaked everything here is a lovely pat on the back :) ).

8630 Gold Hunt is one of my favorite sets. I actually like the trashcan jet engine.

I think that the blow was heavy because it was the second time that we thought we where going to get a Castle theme and then nothing. The Elves theme hit hard on our heads.

Really the third time, if you count Ninjago. For that matter, I seem to recall some people in the Historic Themes subforum assuming "Legends of Chima" was referencing a Native American tribe when that trademark was first disclosed. The Historic Themes subforum has something of a track record for latching onto any kind of rumor that might be a historic theme and then getting very disappointed when it's not.

The problem with every or most versions of Castle themes for classic traditional castle LEGO fans is the fact of following:

- colors are unrealistic (We want green, brown, gray, black, tan, blue(but for water only pls! :P) and variations of those colors)

There is simply nothing classic or traditional in the colors of Castle in forms of Nexo Knights (here 2013 Castle line easily wins)

- knights and weapons colors are (again) unrealistic:

When I was a kid a knight was someone in silver armor with a plume a cool shield and a longsword (or lance on a horse with barding) Now flags and bardings, they can use variety of colors, dont mind those (still trans is weird for classic medieval though)

- factions............

Im really tired of the old lion knights heraldry.... its so overused it hurts my eyes and combine it with blue (for good guys) and i roll my eyes over and dont even need to say ''again or what'' because eyes speak for it all. Same goes for red color, too overused.... The wolfmen, Forestmen even the Flacon knight, such refreshment.... so underused.

Just look back in the start of 90s, how beautifully LEGO demonstrated that they can use colors even in medieval classic castle fantasy the Dragon Knights..... they even had multi colored legs, and it still looked something I and most would say, ''hey thats a Dragon knight or knight overall'' even if it looks colorful and not silver armor.....

As a kid i couldnt even stop looking at the LEGO catalogue (I still look at it today) and those beautiful sets:

http://www.doubledumbassonyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/019a.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/lego/images/e/e9/1993_Germany_Dragon_Masters.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100722165831

http://www.artpeter.net/Data/Lego/Katalogy/1992/23.jpg

These sets look like something you could picture in your fantasy after an old ''wizard'' would tell you a story of lost tale about epic battles, an evil magician and brave knights who did not want to bend the knees but fought on even when all hope was lost.....

Sadly I cannot imagine anything like that from Nexo Knights.... The only thing 2990s lacked were sets like MMV and MRV..... these 2 sets are the real sparks of epicness and classic castle looks and feels for us classic castle fans (together with Kingdoms which had everything great except the too little factions and colors/heraldry overuse again.... why not yellow vs purple sometimes, or orange vs brown or whatever, just not blue, red and to a degree green again)

So, since I already know that I'm probably going to get 90% or more of these sets, I think it's worth saying that I'll be rebuilding some of Jestro's stuff into a red-and-black robber fly, using the ball joints on the Evil Mobile (which is a name that still makes me giggle) as the halteres and using the Crystal King crystal plates in tr. orange to make wings.

Also, those complaining about there not being a proper space theme, stop whining. This theme is pretty much sci-fi in terms of aesthetics, even featuring a very classic space color scheme for the good guys. And LEGO has made some of its best space sets recently, while the Castle guys haven't had anything new in a long time. I may not be a castle fan, but I still have to admit that they've had it worse than sci-fi. Although the complaints about the color scheme are kind of unwarranted, considering the love given to certain past castle sets. Wasn't yellow a far more expensive dye than blue for most of history, to the point that it become the color of China's emperors?

Edited by DraikNova

Old sets were a product of their times. Dark colors didn't exist yet. I would have loved Dark Green Forestmen, Dark Blue Falcons, and Dark Red or Dark Brown Wolfpack a whole lot more than what we had in the 80's and 90's. Those colors are available now, so they should be used. I swapped out the arms on my 2013 Dragon Knights for Dark Red, and they look so much better. They should be that way in the box.

The 375 Yellow Castle was the first castle ever in LEGO, and the colors back then were even more limited. There was no grey, otherwise I bet it would have been grey. Speaking of that castle set though, I would love to see a future theme explore those old unused factions again. It's all patterns and designs rather than animal logos. It would be really cool.

Edited by x105Black

You want to tell me this fugly nexo knights are like trolls and dwarves castle.

The only thing that the manager was right about are trolls but they are not in the set.

Congratulations you stated the same thing that hundreds of other people already said, do you feel proud? Also don't use the word 'Fugly' it isn't 2009

So, since I already know that I'm probably going to get 90% or more of these sets, I think it's worth saying that I'll be rebuilding some of Jestro's stuff into a red-and-black robber fly, using the ball joints on the Evil Mobile (which is a name that still makes me giggle) as the halteres and using the Crystal King crystal plates in tr. orange to make wings.

Also, those complaining about there not being a proper space theme, stop whining. This theme is pretty much sci-fi in terms of aesthetics, even featuring a very classic space color scheme for the good guys. And LEGO has made some of its best space sets recently, while the Castle guys haven't had anything new in a long time. I may not be a castle fan, but I still have to admit that they've had it worse than sci-fi. Although the complaints about the color scheme are kind of unwarranted, considering the love given to certain past castle sets. Wasn't yellow a far more expensive dye than blue for most of history, to the point that it become the color of China's emperors?

Boo! Disagree! :tongue:

Castle gets pretty regular new themes, TBH. Not only was the most recent Castle theme released more recently than the last space theme (by less than a year, granted) but also, Castle has had LotR very recently. Also Elves is freaking great for everything other than minifigures, disappointment aside.

I can hear the argument for star wars being a space theme, but it's not. It's Star Wars. It even has its own forum.

Now, you are right that this theme has a myriad of useful Space parts, but seriously, it's even less a space theme than it is a castle theme. :laugh:

Also worth mentioning that Space had a very long Hiatus during which Castle still had sets.

Now, if you really want to point at a group of AFOLs who are really getting under serviced, the Pirates theme had a longer hiatus than the space themes! :laugh:

Now, it may also be worth mentioning, that while Pirates and Castle are almost always consistent in compatability, Space reinvents itself every reiteration. Some space themes are planet specific (MM) or Earth based (AC) or awful because they appropriate Insectoids' gimmick and are therefor awful regardless of actual quality of the sets (GS).

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

I feel really stupid, but what are the realms? If it's some big "universal canon" theory, then meh. I think LEGO's own attempts to connect the themes are quite pathetic.

I like the bios for the characters!

Let's not waste time getting into arguments about historical castles. Lego castles have never even come close to the reality, because they would be cost prohibitive.

Heraldry is one thing that TLG can improve upon. Their technical capacity has improved, as well as shield design, but there are limitations to the amount of printing that can be put on a shield for its cost.

I still say that the way we would plausibly get some kind of historical theme while Nexo Knights exists would be something different from medieval Europe.

This whole discussion doesn't really have much to do with the current theme, though. I even forgot which thread I was responding to, seeing the posts.

Edited by gedren_y

I still say that the way we would plausibly get some kind of historical theme while Nexo Knights exists would be something different from medieval Europe.

:wub:

And yeah, I agree. Probably best to steer away from the discussion of "who's worse off than whom?" Because someone is bound to step on someone's toes. :tongue:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

The 375 Yellow Castle was the first castle ever in LEGO, and the colors back then were even more limited. There was no grey, otherwise I bet it would have been grey. Speaking of that castle set though, I would love to see a future theme explore those old unused factions again. It's all patterns and designs rather than animal logos. It would be really cool.

Well, there was grey (as seen in some of the helmets), but LEGO was reluctant to use it for actual building elements out of fear of kids building tanks and other war machines.

Personally, I have a hard time sympathizing with complaints that Castle sets today are too colorful. I feel like bright colors make the sets feel "more LEGO", and that the sets would be a lot more boring if you swapped all the blue accents from sets like #70402 or #70404 with another color like Dark Stone Grey. Granted, I've always been drawn to brightly-colored sets — some of my favorite childhood themes were Aquazone and Bionicle, and some of my favorite themes today are Bionicle, Ninjago, and Elves, all of which use bright colors extensively.

The Lord of the Rings sets may have felt authentic with their use of neutral browns and greys or desaturated greens. But they also felt somewhat dull to me color-wise. Just because today's color palette makes more realistic color palettes possible does not mean they're any more desirable than they were in the 80s and 90s. Even in non-fantasy themes like City or Friends, "realism" is not a strict objective.

I've seen a lot of people bring up that factions like Wolfpack and Forestmen are more interesting to them than the typical lion or dragon heraldry. However, there have NEVER been a whole lot of sets from either of those factions. If LEGO ever thought these could support a Castle theme as effectively as the more iconic heraldic symbols, don't you think LEGO would have made more sets of these factions in the first place? As it stands, Forestmen and Wolfpack have always been characterized as small bands of rogues and bandits — they have never been on equal footing with the Castle theme's bigger factions like the Lion Knights, Black Knights, or Crusaders which all used lion and dragon heraldry.

Now, Black Falcons are another story. I could easily see LEGO reviving or re-imagining that theme's heraldry as one of the two main factions in a future Castle theme, especially since they've used falcons, hawks, and eagles for iconic characters in other themes like Knights' Kingdom II, Legends of Chima, and now Nexo Knights.

I feel really stupid, but what are the realms? If it's some big "universal canon" theory, then meh. I think LEGO's own attempts to connect the themes are quite pathetic.

I like the bios for the characters!

There are officially 16 realms in the current LEGO Ninjago canon, and a lot of people seem to be really committed to making other LEGO themes a part of that sixteen-realm framework. So far, none have been, except Legends of Chima as a joke/cameo. Assuming any use of the word "realm" identifies a theme as a parallel dimension to LEGO Ninjago is silly any way you slice it. If a crossover happens, it happens, but I don't understand people's desire to start linking themes together based on such tenuous evidence.

I think my biggest dissapointment is that with 2011 Kingdoms you had something really strong out there. I actually bought all the sets, the smith and the village even multiple times just because their had never been such great civilian sets, neither such amazing animal molds such as the goat or the chickens. And then you guys cut the theme short just so you can bring in Lotr and the Hobbits which were just way overprized due to their licensed nature. Castle 2013 felt really uninspired and just as we were hoping you'd be back with something great you throw out Nexo Knights under the label of castle. Actually, I wasn't annoyed by either Chima nor Ninjago simply because I don't really care for those action themes. And Nexo Knights under the action label wouldn't have annoyed me either.

But when you say something is castle yet the pieces utilized can't be used in castle mocing at all, the Historic mocers feel really betrayed. Furthermore, I really don't like that you now produce pieces that have a clear millitaristic feel to them such as those dark blue wall pieces used in the castle, which in reality is nothing but a WW I styled tank if you really think about it.

As for myself I try to moc towards historic accuracy, especially trying to depict the civilian sides of medieval life. Sohow could I possibly use these blue or trans orange pieces in my creations? I had really been hoping for some new factions but especially some new animal molds, especially some sheep!

And last but not least, I really want to know why you guys there at Lego are thinking that Historic accuracy doesn't appeal to kids when Playmobil is doing really well selling just that in their Historic lines.

I don't get the name Aaron Fox, why not Kross Bowsomething or Archer something to stay with the play on weapons name ?

Now I need Kross Bowsomething to show up as a character in the second wave of sets. :grin::tongue:

I don't get the name Aaron Fox, why not Kross Bowsomething or Archer something to stay with the play on weapons name ?

I think Aaron is supposed to be evocative of the word "Arrow" but it's not quite as obvious as all of the others.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I think Aaron is supposed to be evocative of the word "Arrow" but it's not quite as obvious as all of the others.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Also, I reference to the Ninjago/16 realms thing, it's not actually trying to connect different Lego themes, the writer of Ninjago used it as a plot device to carry the theme on through multiple years, as it is a "EverGreen" theme, which means it'll be around for a while.

Also, whats the use of complaining? Lego isn't gonna just pull a theme because some people are unhappy it isn't a traditional Castle theme. NEWS FLASH: The Theme isn't aimed at you! It's aimed at children.

If the past speak true for this theme it'll be planned for 2 and a half years and then it'll end. Unless it ends up like Ninjago, but I kinda doubt it.

NEWS FLASH: The Theme isn't aimed at you! It's aimed at children.

Now that's just crazy talk! What's next, you'll tell us people can put these little plastic bits together in different ways, without instructions?

I think Aaron is supposed to be evocative of the word "Arrow".

Oh yes, indeed, thanks !!

as for the coming 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 new purple, black, brown, orange and Pink knights we could get a Simi Tar, Al Berd, Paul Harm, Morr Ningstar and of course Kross Bowsomething

And last but not least, I really want to know why you guys there at Lego are thinking that Historic accuracy doesn't appeal to kids when Playmobil is doing really well selling just that in their Historic lines.

Setting aside that LEGO is clearly doing better financially than Playmobil or any other toy company for that matter, have you considered that a lot of the motivation behind these sorts of "mashup" themes and sets might be to offer kids something that other toy companies can't?

There are plenty of toy companies, Playmobil included, that have sets inspired by real life, whether modern-day or historical. Any company can create toys based on these concepts. But a set like Destiny's Bounty from LEGO Ninjago, Flying Phoenix Fire Temple from LEGO Legends of Chima, or Fortrex from LEGO Nexo Knights is considerably more unique. And by the time any other toy companies consider releasing something along the same lines, the LEGO Group will likely have already moved on to different sets combining different concepts and play features.

This kind of strategy enables the LEGO Group to remain a leader in the toy industry rather than a follower. Instead of sticking to concepts that have been in the cultural consciousness for decades if not centuries, they're synthesizing disparate concepts to create products that many kids today have not previously seen or even imagined. And with Ninjago and Legends of Chima, it appears to have paid off.

With that said, I think it's a mistake to assume the LEGO Group has completely given up on more traditional Castle themes. They're just setting them aside for the time being to experiment with something new.

As an AFOL, I really like this new theme & understand the direction designers were going for. I'm all for it.