The faces haven't changed since we saw the official reveal. Honestly, I think they're fine.

The placement of them, is what I'm talking about them.

Thank you !!

Is it me or the Nexo Knight, as Chima focus more on playability, and Ninjago more on vehicle/dragon design ?

A lot of the early Ninjago sets were also heavily focused on playability — Skull Motorbike had the skull face on the front smash targets in front like a hammer, Ninja Ambush had the bamboo that would split apart when you launched the ninja through it, Blacksmith Shop had the hidden weapons rack that would appear when you lifted the roof, Earth Dragon Defense had the swinging tail function, the entire Fire Temple was designed to split down the middle, etc. And most of the ninja vehicles from 2012 had transforming functions. Plus of course there were the spinners. Meanwhile, Chima had a number of sets that were less focused on play features, like the Legend Beasts.

The design language for these three themes is obviously very different, but I don't think the design philosophy is very different at all. They're all character-driven, high-conflict fantasy themes set in invented worlds and targeted chiefly at ages 7 to 14. I think in all three themes you see some sets that focus on aesthetics and some sets that focus on play value, but the majority of sets try to strike a balance between those aspects.

Edited by Aanchir

A lot of the early Ninjago sets were also heavily focused on playability

I think in all three themes you see some sets that focus on aesthetics and some sets that focus on play value, but the majority of sets try to strike a balance between those aspects.

True, but I feel Ninjago since 2015 is more focusing on pretty design. Which appeal to grown up as well. The transformation is not the core of the sets (as oppose to Lance Horse, or 70222 Tormak shadow Blazer or 70225 Bladvic's Rumble Bear ...)

Dragons, especially the beautifull new ones, are the best exemple of that attention to design

Airjitsu temple as well... (compared to the Fenix temple...)

Except Ronin Rex, I don't see too much playability (just some shooters or moving stuff...) in the Ghost theme and apparently even in the 2016 sets...

Chima, being aimed at younger kids, were more toyish I feel.

Edited by ChristopheQ

True, but I feel Ninjago since 2015 is more focusing on pretty design. Which appeal to grown up as well. The transformation is not the core of the sets (as oppose to Lance Horse, or 70222 Tormak shadow Blazer or 70225 Bladvic's Rumble Bear ...)

Dragons, especially the beautifull new ones, are the best exemple of that attention to design

Airjitsu temple as well... (compared to the Fenix temple...)

Except Ronin Rex, I don't see too much playability (just some shooters or moving stuff...) in the Ghost theme and apparently even in the 2016 sets...

Chima, being aimed at younger kids, were more toyish I feel.

The original Destiny's Bounty set was definitely designed around its transformation function. So was Cole's Tread Assault, which transformed from a "ninja" version to a "snake" version — and I'd say Tormak Shadow Blazer pulled that reversal-style transformation off a lot more effectively, since the "snake version" of Cole's Tread Assault mostly looked the same vehicle with some green inverse slopes slapped on. It is far from the most impressive transformation function, though the set did also have another function to make the fins flare out which was more effective.

Comparing a set like the Temple of Airjitzu to the Flying Phoenix Fire Temple is a really unfair comparison: Temple of Airjitzu is a $200 premium exclusive set aimed at ages 9–14 and Flying Phoenix Fire Temple is a regular $120 flagship set aimed at ages 9–14. A more fair comparison to the FPFT would be to the Fire Temple or Battle for Ninjago City. And even then, as I said, the design philosophy may be similar, but the design language is different. Ninjago buildings take their cues from ornate Japanese traditional architecture, while Chima buildings are more exaggerated and futuristic and take their cues from animals.

You're right that the current Ninjago wave has very few sets with a lot of action features, but I think that's more an indication of how Ninjago has changed over time than what audience it's aimed at. A theme that's proven it can sell sets year after year based simply on the quality of its story and premise doesn't need as many gimmicks to pull fans in and keep older fans interested as a theme like Chima or Nexo Knights that has a less reliable audience. LEGO City sets tend to have a lot fewer gimmicks than Chima, Ninjago, OR Nexo Knights, but LEGO City is aimed at a younger audience than all three of those themes. Again, it's a theme that has proven its staying power based on its premise alone, so it doesn't need so many gimmicks to keep buyers coming back for more.

And has there ever been anything authoritative indicating that Chima is aimed at younger kids than Ninjago? I certainly have never seen anything to that effect. The Chima and Ninjago cartoons have the same "Y7-FV" rating in the United States, and the Chima and Ninjago sets have the same 7–14 age range. People seem to assume that Chima is aimed at younger kids because (at least at the start of the series) the Chima storyline is less sophisticated. But I think that has more to do with the quality of the storytelling than the audience it's aimed at. Two people can each tell a story for seven-year-olds, and one still might end up more sophisticated than the other if it's being told by a more sophisticated storyteller.

I hope this theme does well enough to eventually warrant a set the size and quality of the Temple of Airjitzu. :excited:

wow, the bike looks Ace! wow!

I hope this theme does well enough to eventually warrant a set the size and quality of the Temple of Airjitzu. :excited:

Fortrex IMHO

Fortrex is meager in comparison to the Temple of Airjitzu.

I can't believe this many people like that absurd Robo-Horse / Bike.

Fortrex is meager in comparison to the Temple of Airjitzu.

:tongue: I think it looks awesome, definitely picking it up for sure.

I have to agree. My opinion has improved on most of the other sets, since their initial unveiling... but my opinion has yet to budge regarding the horse/bike. I wish it was just one good looking model, instead of two meh looking ones. :sceptic: No disrespect to the creators, of course. Transforming builds are very difficult to pull off well.

Now, my opinion on the Pacman podracer has slightly improved. I still likely won't get it, but considering how meh the "Ultimates" look in the prelim art, I've seriously started to consider getting it for Macy! :laugh:

Again though, most of my opinions stem from prelim confidential stuff that's been rudely leaked onto the internet against Lego's wishes, so all that may change when I see the real deals.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

:tongue: I think it looks awesome, definitely picking it up for sure.

This is my list so far:

-Infernox/ Queen set

-King's Mech

-Ultimate Lavaria

Maybe the Jestro set, but I'm not sure

I think that's the weakest set of the bunch, IMO

Edited by Robert8

This is my list so far:

-Infernox/ Queen set

-King's Mech

-Ultimate Lavaria

Maybe the Jestro set, but I'm not sure

I think that's the weakest set of the bunch, IMO

My want list -

All Ultimates

Fortrex

Robo Horse

Battle Blaster

Chaos Catapult

Chaos Chariot

King Mech

Merlok's Library 2.0

Anyone know how much that is in total? :tongue:

No Jestro set?

Eh, I'm not so great on the design, all I'd get it for is Jestro, Lance, Scurriers, BoM, and horse. It'd be cool if it had some sort of chomping feature while it moved.

Also, using PriceVortex, everything I want will cost. . . $280 :look::grin:

Edited by CM4Sci

Eh, I'm not so great on the design, all I'd get it for is Jestro, Lance, Scurriers, BoM, and horse.

I concur.

Love Sparx and Jestro. I'll probably brinklink them. But the set overall.... It's not my cup of tea

(I'll wait to see if Jestro appears in a second wave set)

If you're talking about the one in the jestro set, his name is Sparx

Thanks!

Edited by Robert8

And has there ever been anything authoritative indicating that Chima is aimed at younger kids than Ninjago? I certainly have never seen anything to that effect. The Chima and Ninjago cartoons have the same "Y7-FV" rating in the United States, and the Chima and Ninjago sets have the same 7–14 age range. People seem to assume that Chima is aimed at younger kids because (at least at the start of the series) the Chima storyline is less sophisticated. But I think that has more to do with the quality of the storytelling than the audience it's aimed at. Two people can each tell a story for seven-year-olds, and one still might end up more sophisticated than the other if it's being told by a more sophisticated storyteller.

Very interesting, thank you.

Couldn't that be the first fans of Ninjago are getting older as well ? And the AFOL more numerous ? The market becoming more mature, so the designer feel they can treat us with more "mature" design.

Wasn't the first season of Ninjago cartoon a bit more childish as well ?

I really hope Nexo Knight will last enough to see something similar to this Ninjago golden age... Even if the futuristic castle theme would not pleased everyone... Temple of Airjitsu look like a "real" temple. A 200 euros NK castle wouldn't look like a real castle...

Edited by ChristopheQ

At the moment, I'm thinking of getting the Fortrex, Chaos Chariot, Blade Cruiser, Evil Mobile, Lava Golem vs. Queen, and the Library. The robo-horse looks awful in horse mode, and the other sets are just not interesting enough. I'm really collecting this theme for the bad guys.

I will be getting the Fortrex, chaos chariot, Lances robo horse (my fave of the lot....its my passion for transformers i think thats done that), the blade crusier and the kings mech straight off the bat but will get the bad guys at later intervals.

Oh and all the ultimates.