I don't exactly keep up with news about Elves, thanks for correcting me.

I do! It's a great theme! :grin: you're welcome. :classic:

The Elves dragons and Ninjago dragons should be different enough to avoid cannibalism... but if Nexo Knights introduced dragons, then there might be some overlap with Ninjago. I won't right off that we'll see dragons entirely yet. They're a staple of the Castle themes that Lego is referencing with this theme... but I don't see it happening any time soon. Hey, maybe we'll get Dragon warriors like Ninjago got Snake guys. :laugh:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Spent yesterday evening getting "caught up" on all the posts! Some comments/observations:

- Reveal was pretty much what I expected. All the minifigs and the 2 largest sets of the first wave. Glad that Lego unveiled it now at NYCC instead of waiting for Toy Fair Season or until a couple of weeks before the sets released as they seemed to like to do in the past.

- The theme looks like it is going to run parallel to Ninjago from a marketing and target demographic standpoint. That being, more advanced builds that go after boys in the 9-12 age range. I think that the recent proliferation of Juniors sets was designed so that they could push the mainline sets up the age spectrum.

- The minifigs look really good. Knights have great detail and all come with quite a few accessories. Aaron's bow and Axl's body pieces really make them stand out.

- Of the 2 models shown, Fortrex looks like a more simplified, if larger, build. Jestro's....thing.....looks pretty awesome and is incredibly detailed

- Given the detail and the complex build of Jestro's vehicle, these sets look to be targeted to older kids which is good to see

- Not sure if mentioned already, but Fortex can split open at the back and there looks to be some kind of detachable turret/base/command center thing inside

- Fortrex has some kind of massive cannon on top of it

- Jestro's vehicle is actually being pulled by the monster, has a prison at the back and it's main weapons look to be twin catapults on either side

- The 2 sets shown look to have quite a few play/action features which is great

- The minifigs shown are all Wave 1 which means the King/Queen are probably in the King's Mech set and the kids are likely in the Merlock Library set

- The knights and several other minifigs have a 4 hollow stud piece on the back of their shoulder armor - wonder what that's for?

As for the rest of the sets, I don't think we will see them at NYCC as I think this is all Lego is going to show us for now. Having said that, I think it's only a matter of time before set images show up. Quite frankly, given that the theme has been revealed, if anyone has un-watermarked images I'm sure it would be fine to post them on Imgur or whatever. Retailers will likely start putting up pre-orders soon so we can always check there.

And lastly, given that the stated release date is January 1, 2016 it's pretty much a certainty that the sets will be available in December in time for the Christmas/Holiday shopping season.

The kid in me loves this theme.

I'm glad to see the falcon, the wolfpack and all the logos there. Nice homage, and a nice way to bring them to present-day Lego. I hope that doesn't mean we won't see those logos back in reagular Castle at some point (a little Conspiracy Theory: the only reason Lego has released Nexo Knights is to make kids love the falcons, wolfpack and stuff and have them ready to grab the delicious new Castle theme that's to come! :laugh:).

I'm still curious about the smaller sets.

This is not what makes them childish. It's the design aesthetic. It's the personality and tone. And yes, there were some more childish, unsophisticated sets in Castle (and definitely in Space) over the years. As a whole, however, I feel that Nexo Knights is considerably more childish, thematically, than most Caslte waves.

If "childish" doesn't refer to what age range the theme is aimed at, then it really has no meaning at all. Because there is no strict definition for what makes a theme's personality or tone "childish". Nexo Knights is playful, maybe. Goofy. Experimental. Tongue-in-cheek. Character-driven. But none of these things are the exclusive domain of childhood. Kids don't automatically lose their imagination or sense of humor when they grow up. There are plenty of adults who still enjoy toys and entertainment with all of these qualities, and who have expressed great enthusiasm for this theme! Some adults were even building their own genre-mashing "Spastle" MOCs long before this theme was announced.

Elves is not meant to be a big bang theme like Nexo Knights is. LEGO was not expecting Elves to be a runawary success like NINJAGO or BIONICLE, and that's the difference between the marketing budget of Elves and Nexo Knights.

Actually, LEGO Elves technically is a big bang theme. It was identified as such in preliminary online listings for the chapter book. However, it's probably smaller since it's directed at a demographic the LEGO Group has less experience with. Nexo Knights is taking the place of Legends of Chima, and as such LEGO is confident enough to invest a similar amount in its development. LEGO Elves isn't replacing anything — it's effectively charting brand new territory, and that means it has to work harder to prove itself before LEGO is prepared to invest so heavily in it.

I'm afraid Merlok won't be a minfigure. He's only ever been shown in holograms, and he wasn't at NYCC, so I don't think he's a physical character or a physical minifigure. It's a shame, too.

It is entirely possible that Merlok 2.0 could be a trans figure, as TLG has had some success with making those lately. Or he could simply be a sticker on a trans part. We'll just have to wait and see.

First of all, I can understand that Lego is a company. I can understand that Castle/Knights needs to renew its products. And I also understand that kids will like this theme. That is obvious.

My surprise comes when I see this forum and this thread full of people that can't wait for these Nexo Knights. Classic Castle fans, where are you? Do you REALLY like this... thing? :sick:

That's been enough for today. I think I'm going back to Classic Pirates forums! :grin:

Hey- shouldn't this be in Historic themes?

Does the futuristic setting/SciFi factor disqualify this as a Castle theme?

Edited by Robert8

:facepalm:

It is entirely possible that Merlok 2.0 could be a trans figure, as TLG has had some success with making those lately. Or he could simply be a sticker on a trans part. We'll just have to wait and see.

I don't think they've done much more than 1 or 2 trans pieces per minifigure before. If they make Merlok 2.0 completely trans, that would be a first. And I would love to have him in my collection.

The Elves dragons and Ninjago dragons should be different enough to avoid cannibalism... but if Nexo Knights introduced dragons, then there might be some overlap with Ninjago. I won't right off that we'll see dragons entirely yet. They're a staple of the Castle themes that Lego is referencing with this theme.

About dragons, I don't think it will matter. Elves dragons are cutesy and girly, Ninjago dragons are eastern in design, I think any Nexo Knights dragons would be western in design. And Nexo Knights will probably get, if anything, a brick-built techno dragon.

Does the futuristic setting/SciFi factor disqualify this as a Castle theme?

I should think so.

Edited by x105Black

My surprise comes when I see this forum and this thread full of people that can't wait for these Nexo Knights. Classic Castle fans, where are you? Do you REALLY like this... thing? :sick:

Have you even been here a couple pages back? The majority of Classic Castle has already expressed their distaste for this theme multiple times. I think the thread movement is an explanation in itself.

A fully trans figure would be amazing, but even a partial trans would look great. My only fear would be if his color is changed from the yellowish orange shown on the promotions to the reddish orange shown on the Nexo Knights.

Edited by Dr_Chronos

That's been enough for today. I think I'm going back to Classic Pirates forums! :grin:

Well, be sure to check back with us Action/Adventure Theme folks once we have finalized Ninjago pics! The next wave of Ninjago sets seems like it'll have pirate-themed baddies. Granted, they're sky pirates, so probably no ships that'll please the classic crowd, but there might at least be some useful fig parts and building techniques for use in MOCs!

A fully trans figure would be amazing, but even a partial trans would look great. My only fear would be if his color is changed from the yellowish orange shown on the promotions to the reddish orange shown on the Nexo Knights.

A fully transparent figure is something LEGO has tried in the past and has never been able to manage. Polycarbonate (the material LEGO uses for transparent parts) has too much friction against other polycarbonate parts. That's why we have transparent arms but no transparent hands, transparent legs but no transparent hips, and transparent heads but no transparent torsos. There would be structural issues if those "in-between" parts were transparent as well. Making a fully transparent figure would, in the very least, mean substantially redesigning most of the basic figure parts, if not all of them!

In this pic, we can see that Merlok 2.0 is represented in the Fortrex set by a stickered panel. Even to me that seems sort of lackluster, and I hope there might be other sets in the future that have him as a fig of some variety. Perhaps it might have been better if the transparent portion were his body and the outlines were opaque instead of the other way around. But all in all I feel like that does a poor job conveying the idea of a hologram.

I know, right? Why is it here? It should be in Historic Themes. We should contact the staff. Why isn't it in the History Forum??

I know, right? Why is it here? It should be in Historic Themes. We should contact the staff. Why isn't it in the History Forum??

I concur

This is just a new approach to the Castle line, like KK2 or Fright Knights were in their times

Funny, guys, but I think everyone would hate you if you were seriously reconsidering the move to Action Themes. Like it or not, there is absolutely nothing historical about this theme. I don't think that stops it from being a Castle theme, but it doesn't fit the "Historic" label at all.

Edited by 8BrickMario

Like it or not, there is absolutely nothing historical about this theme.

Just like LOTR or Fanstasy Era

This just made my day. Thanks for the laugh, Mr. ZCerberus.

I like the robot heads. I'll be using them for The LEGO Movie robots.

I wouldn't mind the castle they show in the background. It's obviously not the mobile one we got. As they could both be seen at the same time. However, I wonder if the 20 episode will be it for the series. I guess they probably have a story set for a year or two in advance. But it'll depend on the turnover for the series I guess.

Do I win an award for "snarky" mod comment of the year?

If I had the power to award one, you'd get it.

6951-1.jpg

Serious stuff, guys.

:D

I do love that set though. Damn. I have that in box and I really need to build it.

Looking at the pictures and considering wishes and needs of children I can well imagine that Nexo Knights becomes as successful as Ninjago. There are distinctable heros they can indentify with (due to the heraldy it's not restricted to the colour pattern - we had different symbols in Ninjago as well, but they were less prominent IMO), there are crazy vehicles/moving structures, there's the usual Good vs. Evil. I have some doubts with regard to the bad guys, the regular minifigs are a little dull somehow. On the other hand, they could be seen as a cross-over of Snake people and Stone Warriors, which seem to have been successful as well (?). But it's also going to depend on the content of the smaller sets probably and the features of the Ultimate sets.

Now, given it's Nexo Knights, and given the new parts, it's actually a little disappointing for me that hardly any of those seem to fit into a traditional Castle layout the way I had hoped, except the queen and (maybe) Lance's visor and Macy's plume. But maybe we also get "civic" versions of the main characters in future releases that are more compatible with the Castle theme. In any case, assuming Nexo Knights turns out to be successful, I guess it would block the regular Castle/Space themes for the nearer future. Even if it doesn't look like traditional knights it definitely refers to them (and to space or "future" in general), and would compete with corresponding sets if they were available at the same time. So I would understand if some people are frustrated to some extent with Nexo Knights turning out to be this way. See it positive, you can save money in the meantime then :wink:

Edited by Oederland

Like others have said, this theme sort of reminds me of LEGO Universe. I like what I'm seeing so far. :classic: Chances are I won't end up collecting anything from here, but everything from these sets just looks fun. As for the chances of getting Merlock as a figure... weren't the figures displayed all of the ones we're getting for the entire year? Or just the first wave? I think we could possibly get Merlock in the Library set. If we don't get him there, though, then I'd still say we could get him later on down the line. This theme's going to last at least 3 years.