There are other themes. I won't be surprised if a more normal Historical theme emerges as a two-to-three wave theme to please the traditional Castle consumers. Nobody said this was outright replacing historical Castle.

I'd reign back your expectations. Perhaps a one wave theme, the recent trend is that only the big-bang themes or licensed IP get three waves and the licensed IP only gets three waves because there are three movie to market the toys.

I'd reign back your expectations. Perhaps a one wave theme, the recent trend is that only the big-bang themes or licensed IP get three waves and the licensed IP only gets three waves because there are three movie to market the toys.

Ultra Agents got three waves and was not a big-bang theme. The same goes for Mixels, and even the new Bionicle theme. Meanwhile, City has had more waves than just about any other theme ever and is still going strong, despite never being a big-bang theme nor being licensed. There is only one factor that determines how many waves a theme gets and that is popularity/sales. And while it's true that big-bang themes and licensed themes have a high tendency to deliver in that respect, that doesn't mean that other themes can't.

Of course, I think the chances of a dedicated Castle theme running alongside Nexo Knights are low. Just because it isn't a traditional castle theme doesn't mean it won't fill that exact same niche for most of Lego's audience or its designers. As for fans of historic themes? I'd think Lego would be more likely to give a theme like Western or even Vikings another shot than risk cannibalizing the sales of one of their big-bang themes while it's still ongoing.

There is only one factor that determines how many waves a theme gets and that is popularity/sales.

I disagree. I think two equally big factors are effort into the sets themselves and marketing. When I got excited for Lego sets both as an adult and as a child it was usually because the packaging looked soo cool and the sets themselves were really cool looking and sparked my imagination. When I looked at the last castle theme or at the last pirate theme I was not impressed by the box art or at the marketing and I also was not impressed by the set designs and color choices either. I mean come on, bright yellow and blue on the box art, really and than the sets felt like they were designed by somebody who really didn't care about doing those themes. Remember when Lego did Fantasy Era they were asking adult fans of Lego Castle to come to Denmark and help them design the sets, thus the Fantasy Era sets had a lot of effort put into the designs. It's beginning to feel like the Marketing is being run by somebody who really doesn't care about the product and long term business as much as the immediate results and that is very sad and disappointing.

Edited by Jack Bricker

I disagree. I think two equally big factors are effort into the sets themselves and marketing.

Effort and Marketing are part of the factors that can lead toward popularity/sales....but it's still the end result that matters. Here's why:

- if Lego marketed the crap out of a theme they put a ton of effort into, yet the theme just bombed...it would end a LOT quicker than intended. No sense in putting a lot of money and effort into a product that doesn't sell.

- alternatively, if Lego had a theme that required almost no effort or marketing, yet sold like CRAZY....they would continue to produce that theme. They are a business, and it's easy money.

Therefore...it's ultimately Popularity and Sales that determine the longevity of a theme/product.

That is true. But, I also find that when a company really puts effort and quality into a theme it winds up popular anyway. The one exception is licenced themes where the popularity of the movie or show really dertermines the sales of the toys. A great example would be the Hobbit vs. Jurassic World. The Hobbit movies really were disappointing compared to LOTR wereas Jurassic World was very good and popular. Thus, the hobbit toys did not sell very well but, Jurassic World has flown off of the shelfs.

You also have to consider the designs of the sets, in the hobbits case, an Unexpected gathering was a best sell, but a lot of the rest of the ways were poorly designed, grant it Peter Jackson didn't help, but the sets could have been a lot better.

Ultra Agents got three waves and was not a big-bang theme. The same goes for Mixels, and even the new Bionicle theme.

Mixels and Bionicle both have TV shows. Ultra Agents only got two waves in many countries because they didn't sell well enough to merit distributing the third. Even UA had an app tie-in. It does seem like a theme can't survive as just a theme anymore. <Wanders off to go be nostalgic about Dark Forest and Adventurers.>

Mixels and Bionicle both have TV shows. Ultra Agents only got two waves in many countries because they didn't sell well enough to merit distributing the third. Even UA had an app tie-in. It does seem like a theme can't survive as just a theme anymore. <Wanders off to go be nostalgic about Dark Forest and Adventurers.>

Bionicle doesn't have a TV show, but I will admit it's supported by web animations, app games (Albeit not as set integral as UA), and books...

I am really surprised we haven't seen these sets yet ...especially considering theme name has been release

*Leaked

Edited by Robert8

We probably won't see any pictures until around November at the earliest. In the past we saw pictures really early because Lego didn't really enforce its anti-leak policy on social media that well. Now I think we will have to wait until either the images are officially released or until Lego decideds to "leak" the pictures themselves.

On another train of thought, I am beginning to wonder if Lego is not focusing on traditional core themes due to competition. In the past Lego was constantly trying to enforce it's expired patient on the Lego brick around the world and thus outbid the competition that way. Ever since the Lego patient was deemed expired by the courts Lego doesn't seem to care about their tradiononal Pirates, Castle and Space themes. Maby they are trying to develope a unique brand by doing all of these ,for lack of a better word, creative themes to create a niche brand.

Maby they are trying to develope a unique brand by doing all of these ,for lack of a better word, creative themes to create a niche brand.

Actually I think the reason for what you are calling creative themes is due to the success of Ninjago - as an AFOL I hated Ninjago when it came out, I've slowly come round to some parts of it...but kids generally want OTT wacky adventure themes, not just from LEGO but from just about everything...it's the reason that Power Rangers is still getting constantly updated and remade.

I've come to accept that while a lot of themes don't appeal to me as a whole many have something that I can enjoy. Some of the Chima sets actually had cracking designs - I didn't like the setting of the theme, mixing Sci-Fi and fantasy doesn't appeal to me (so I imagine Nexo Knights won't appeal to me as a theme) but take the Chima mini figures for purely anthropomorphic animal fantasy builds and use the sets that I liked as a basis for sci-fi builds and the theme has a purpose for me.

Same goes for ninjago - a lot of the mini figures work for fantasy/historical settings (some are admittedly more use for sci-fi) and the mechs and whacky vehicles can serve as parts for sci-fi builds.

I think the sad thing that we have to accept is that traditional Castle themes might* never get more than a single, small wave run at a time now, but to be fair as long as licenced themes like LOTR come around every now and again to give use some kind of Castle style sets I'll be happy.

*felt the need to highlight the might as it seemed the sort of comment that a lot of people might jump on as something to argue against - I'm just expressing my opinion on a possibility not saying it's what will happen.

Ever since the Lego patient was deemed expired by the courts Lego doesn't seem to care about their tradiononal Pirates, Castle and Space themes. Maby they are trying to develope a unique brand by doing all of these ,for lack of a better word, creative themes to create a niche brand.

I think it has less to do with what LEGO cares about and more with what kids care about. When's the last time a popular cartoon was strictly historical, or strictly space opera? Especially with pre-teens and teens (who have experienced more traditional portrayals of pirates, space travel, and medieval times since preschool), themes that can deliver some combination of concepts or tropes that they have never experienced before tend to have a lot more draw than the "old standards" that their parents and grandparents grew up with.

When you look at the Duplo and Juniors sets, the subject matter is still generally very "tame" and conventional, the kind of subject matter that kids' parents will understand as much as kids themselves will. Same goes for themes directed chiefly at ages five and up, like City, Pirates, Friends, and Castle. But once you hit themes for ages six and up or seven and up, like Ninjago or Legends of Chima or Bionicle or Elves, things start to get more wacky and experimental, to draw in buyers who are tired of playing with the stuff their parents grew up with and want to experience something wild.

Personally, I think the recent Pirates and Castle sets are incredibly underrated. Their subject matter is conventional, but their building value is quite impressive, with lots of great brick-built detailing. The latest King's Castle, for instance, is similar in structure to the beloved Black Monarch's Castle. But with that said, they ARE aimed at a younger demographic than most of the "action themes". And they ARE playing things very much by-the-book instead of pushing the boundaries of what LEGO Castle or LEGO Pirates can be. After all, if kids want sets that don't adhere so strictly to the archetypes they've seen all their lives, many of them might opt for one of the zanier action/adventure themes to begin with.

So who were the people who said they were gonna ask TRU, and did they do it?

Also, anyone try contacting Cartoon Network to see if they've heard anything? Assuming they'll share anything? :tongue:

So who were the people who said they were gonna ask TRU, and did they do it?

Also, anyone try contacting Cartoon Network to see if they've heard anything? Assuming they'll share anything? :tongue:

Sci, I'm surprised you haven't broke the news on pics yourself yet! LOL!

Asking retail staff at TRU would be a waste of time. The stores won't get the catalogs. They would go to TRU's purchasing or marketing departments which are in their regional headquarters. So, unless you have a friend who works in purchasing or marketing at a major toy retailer, you are probably out of luck. Better option is to make friends with an independent toy or hobby shop owner/manager and they might let you have a look at the catalogs. That I believe is how some other members are getting looks at prelims.

In any case we will probably see prelims leaked soon.

Sci, I'm surprised you haven't broke the news on pics yourself yet! LOL!

Asking retail staff at TRU would be a waste of time. The stores won't get the catalogs. They would go to TRU's purchasing or marketing departments which are in their regional headquarters. So, unless you have a friend who works in purchasing or marketing at a major toy retailer, you are probably out of luck. Better option is to make friends with an independent toy or hobby shop owner/manager and they might let you have a look at the catalogs. That I believe is how some other members are getting looks at prelims.

In any case we will probably see prelims leaked soon.

Yeah, still no luck in my search. Hope someone posts something soon.

I think it has less to do with what LEGO cares about and more with what kids care about.

the thing is though, Playmobil, the hardest contender for the attention of my kids is doing really well producing sets of Classic castle, Pirates and Western. Wich actually leads me to the conclusion that Lego has the American market much more in Focus than the European one since all these action oriented toys have a much longer tradition there than here in Europe. That's really too bad though as I'd whish Lego produced more sets similar to what Playmobil is doing in that field.

the thing is though, Playmobil, the hardest contender for the attention of my kids is doing really well producing sets of Classic castle, Pirates and Western. Wich actually leads me to the conclusion that Lego has the American market much more in Focus than the European one since all these action oriented toys have a much longer tradition there than here in Europe. That's really too bad though as I'd whish Lego produced more sets similar to what Playmobil is doing in that field.

I think you may be right. Interestingly though, Playmobil is really hard to find around here these days. REALLY hard.

Interesting, Playmobil has sometimes twice the shelf space of Lego here in Germany and most kids I know have the castle, the ship and some Western stuff. Actually, my kids got the big Playmobil pirate ship two years ago since Lego did't have one.

Hi Kabel,

Here in france too, Playmobil has twince or more the space than Lego in stores ! and with a castle fantasy era type theme.

I would like to see more historical themes too, especially classic castle theme but TLG is doing apparently some sci-fi-castle medley or some steampunk theme for next year ?!

Classic castle didn't sell well by the past ? I don't think so. So why a sci-fi castle ?

You're probably right saying that TLG have the American market in mind more than the European one.

Here in Italy it's very variable. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, it depends on the shop.

But since Playmobil are very bulky and big, they naturally occupy more room on the shelves

I believe that has already been revealed to be fake. It is taken from a MOC someone made previously. Move along, nothing to see there.

Totally fake. Mega Blocks Neo Shifters parts are all over that thing.

... To the point where it could be a Neo Shifter.