Hmmm... something like BrickQuest with random figures. I don't know if I'd buy it (except in hopes of some cool fantasy figures), but it's an interesting idea.

2.5 to 3 months before we find out for sure whether the world is ending or good stuff is on the way... :wall: After what we've been through so far, I will go nuts if we have to wait that long without sneaky leaks!

The reason is Marketing. There is a whole science behind the concept, meant to help deliver the biggest return on the investment. Reveal too early and the hype will lessen by the time of actual release. People may disagree with that (like us eager AFOL's) but it's a proven formula.

Ah yeah that does sound somewhat logical I suppose.

... So it's not the designer. He does a good job at designing what he is tasked to build. I just don't always like the ideas to begin with.

An added note to this previous post: It was perceived that I was insulting the designer, but it was not noticed in that same post that I was praising him for his design of the Gorilla Legend Beast. I also loved his execution of the Exo-Suit, and I'm a fan of the City of Atlantis set.

On topic: I would be a huge supporter of LEGO getting the license to do D&D. I think that setting would be perfect for LEGO. Creating their own D&D Medieval Fantasy LEGO setting with their own campaigns and the D&D Ruleset would be fantastic.

Power Rules sounds more like a story than a set of rules, though. We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully, we won't be waiting too long!

It's not an RPG-style theme. There are knights and an evil jester, along with some fire/lava villains, and this theme seems to be similar in spirit to Chima and Ninjago.

Does D&D have enough appeal to kids though? I know Hasbro tried it with their Kre-o line and I thought it failed pretty miserably? Obviously Kre-o isn't the same as Lego, but ya. LotR also didn't seem to do that well. It seems any of the more adult oriented medieval fantasy based stuff with Lego just doesn't perform that well. It makes sense they would go with something like Nexo Knights this time around.

"Power Rules" sounds pretty childish

It's a book (probably an activity book or junior handbook) based on a LEGO theme. "Childish" sort of comes with the territory.

But with that said, I always think it's sort of ironic how people compare this to Ninjago or Chima and then worry the sets are going to be "too childish". Ninjago and Legends of Chima sets are regularly aimed at an audience as old or older than the intended audience for Castle themes. A $10 Castle set is typically aimed at ages 6–12, whereas any $10 Ninjago or Chima sets from the past two years has been aimed at ages 7–14. A $100 Castle set is typically aimed at ages 7–12 or 7–14, whereas any Ninjago or Chima set priced $70 or up has been aimed at at least ages 8–14 (Nindroid MechDragon and King Crominus's Rescue, two $90 sets, are aimed at ages 9–14, as are some $120 sets from both themes). Incidentally, the last non-exclusive Castle set aimed at ages 8–14 was Vladek's Dark Fortress, a "jellybean knights" set.

Edited by Aanchir

But with that said, I always think it's sort of ironic how people compare this to Ninjago or Chima and then worry the sets are going to be "too childish". Ninjago and Legends of Chima sets are regularly aimed at an audience as old or older than the intended audience for Castle themes.

I guess maybe because people have seen Ninjago and Chima sets, and despite the 'suggested age' on the box, the set designs themselves are unappealing. Ninjago and Chima are vehicle heavy. The only vehicles in a castle theme should be horses, carts, and the OCCASIONAL siege engine. The relation of this theme to China and Ninjago is the worry that these sets will follow their pattern of vehicle heavy set design.

^Good point Aanchir about the age-appropriateness of sets. However, I believe people's comments refer to appeal. After all, the age listed on the box refers to building ability, not the appeal of subject matter; my four year old loves Ninjago even though the set difficulty is above his level.

It's not an RPG-style theme.

I'm trying to figure out what this is supposed to mean.

If you are saying this entire theme's focus isn't based on a game....that's pretty much implied with most big themes.

If you are saying this theme isn't like RPG themes, that statement by itself doesn't even make sense. RPGs can literally be themed around ANYTHING. For instance, someone could take the Nexo Knights characters and setting, pick their preferred RPG rule system and play a RPG with it.

I understand, but there's been speculation about a DnD-style theme, which we got with Games' Heroica sets. This theme could probably be turned into an RPG easily, but I doubt it will take explicit cues from notable RPG games.

The "new" winter toy shop has a minifigure that has a new face. Its the kid with the green and white jacket, he also has the skateboarding helmet. His face has an alternative scared face. That will be used perfectly in this theme, trust me. The 2007 castle theme debuted the first scared face and it was used in the 2013 castle line again. I can't wait to see it in this theme.

The "new" winter toy shop has a minifigure that has a new face. Its the kid with the green and white jacket, he also has the skateboarding helmet. His face has an alternative scared face. That will be used perfectly in this theme, trust me. The 2007 castle theme debuted the first scared face and it was used in the 2013 castle line again. I can't wait to see it in this theme.

Well.... at least there is something actually new in that set :laugh:

Huh? That is the 2007 Castle face.

Yeah it is, I checked. The new face has light brown details near eyes, the old one has black. Eyebrows look little different too.

Just to clarify, no, nothing for Chima was developed for a 'dropped' Thundercats theme. It was developed for LEGO, by LEGO and doesn't really look anything like the Thundercats heads in the original or the remake (except Lion-O and Laval are both lion humanoids with red spiky hair/manes.) The Chima lion head was originally a fully printed head rather then a 'mask' head over a standard head, the final form developed as it is to allow for more printed colours.

Master of the Universe is Mattel property, I think it is unlikely LEGO will ever license it!

And I don't really mind if a set I've designed does not appeal to you, I know the the big-bang themes can be a bit polarizing and I appreciate being reminded of this now and then. Though I think it's appealing to kids, which is good.

To bring some relevancy to this sub, (if not this thread) I did get to design the Chima Lion Castle, which is the first yellow castle since 1978 and I threw in a few homages to the original, which was designed by my neighbour and friend, retired LEGO Designer Daniel Krentz, and it got his seal of approval, so that was nice!

To bring some relevancy to this sub, (if not this thread) I did get to design the Chima Lion Castle, which is the first yellow castle since 1978 and I threw in a few homages to the original, which was designed by my neighbour and friend, retired LEGO Designe Daniel Krentz, and it got his seal of approval, so that was nice!

That's cool!

Yeah. Where's nekchir when you need him? :laugh:

Yeah, we're TOTALLY getting trans blue, ACTUAL glowing weapons! Yellow vehicles, an AT-TE castle! Chrome robot horse! :wink: :wink: