LEGO already gave us Medieval Market Village. They know there is AFOL demand for it but there is only so much capacity for these types of sets. This year the Ninjago temple takes that slot.

LEGO already gave us Medieval Market Village. They know there is AFOL demand for it but there is only so much capacity for these types of sets. This year the Ninjago temple takes that slot.

Medieval Market Village is great, but if it was done in the scale and complexity of the Modular Buildings, it could be so much better.

I agree, though, that it's a highly unlikely prospect.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but for all we know (and because Lego firmly believes that AFOL's don't exist ), it will be Jellybean Knights G2.

I have a theory, it's a little bit crazy though, what if the amount of AFOL's is way way smaller then all the KFOL's and they market most their product to KFOL's because that's were most of the money is? Because if there was more monetary gain from AFOL's they would surely be catering to them instead.

@Isundir - Some AFOLs do seem completely blind to the fact that we are a secondary demographic for LEGO...the fact that there are any AFOL marketed sets is a blessing to me.

@Isundir - Some AFOLs do seem completely blind to the fact that we are a secondary demographic for LEGO...the fact that there are any AFOL marketed sets is a blessing to me.

This

I've been repeating this for years... still I can't help asking myself why some people fail to understand such an obvious fact.

Edited by Itaria No Shintaku

I have a theory, it's a little bit crazy though, what if the amount of AFOL's is way way smaller then all the KFOL's and they market most their product to KFOL's because that's were most of the money is? Because if there was more monetary gain from AFOL's they would surely be catering to them instead.

This

I've been repeating this for years... still I can't help asking myself why some people fail to understand such an obvious fact.

LIES! HOW COULD THAT BE?! PLEASE SOMEONE BLOCK THEIR IPs! THIS IS CLEARLY NEKCHIR BACK USING MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS TO SPREAD MORE LIES!

:devil:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think they can really tell who is buying a particular set, but I do know that many AFOLs spend a lot of money on LEGO, more than most children could afford without rich parents. There are likely a whole lot more KFOLs than AFOLs though. Most kids like LEGO, and most adults that were into LEGO as kids never emerge from their Dark Age.

I think that Shib had it right, LEGO's target market is children. They want to be a kids toy company.

Having said that, not all kids are into flashy colorful stuff. Some kids like the deeper elements. When I was a kid, I was really into classic Castle, and would have liked it more with darker colors.

I don't think they can really tell who is buying a particular set, but I do know that many AFOLs spend a lot of money on LEGO, more than most children could afford without rich parents. There are likely a whole lot more KFOLs than AFOLs though. Most kids like LEGO, and most adults that were into LEGO as kids never emerge from their Dark Age.

I think that Shib had it right, LEGO's target market is children. They want to be a kids toy company.

Having said that, not all kids are into flashy colorful stuff. Some kids like the deeper elements. When I was a kid, I was really into classic Castle, and would have liked it more with darker colors.

I just wish THOSE kids would speak up in the focus groups.

We all know this is a toy company with a focus on what sells to children. That knowledge does not invalidate our opinions as AFOLs.

I know why TLG sometimes makes decisions toward shallow concepts and unsophisticated design. That awareness does not mean I or anybody else has to be happy about it.

We all know this is a toy company with a focus on what sells to children. That knowledge does not invalidate our opinions as AFOLs.

I know why TLG sometimes makes decisions toward shallow concepts and unsophisticated design. That awareness does not mean I or anybody else has to be happy about it.

Valid point. I'm certainly not happy about what I've heard of Nexo Knights. As long as it's still being considered 2016's Castle Theme, it does not sound promising at all.

I am expecting the worst at this point, but always hoping for the best outcome.

But adults buy Lego for kids. If I hate a theme simply I won't buy it for myself and for the kids. I'm pretty sure that Lego needs a good historic theme and as I see Nexo knights won't fill that gap...

Edited by nemorino

I think it's unfair to deprive kids of sets that the parent's don't like. But most sets are marketed toward kids, and so AFOLs are kept in mind for display and D2C sets only.

I think it's unfair to deprive kids of sets that the parent's don't like.

Maybe you're right, but I won't buy dumb sets because Lego makes good marketing to hook on kids. We have enough sets based on robots or mechs or anything like this. I would happily buy historic sets of the antiquity or any medieval related sets because Lego have none of them that time. If I want to buy robots, I will buy SW or any space related set. Would have been better if Lego leave us the opportunity to have proper historic sets. We have 7946 and the kids love it without any steempunk object. They have the Hulkbuster mech, and they love it without any knights. If the kids want to mix them, they can do it.

Edited by nemorino

I think it's unfair to deprive kids of sets that the parent's don't like. But most sets are marketed toward kids, and so AFOLs are kept in mind for display and D2C sets only.

I completely disagree. It's only natural for parents to want some sort of control over what kind of toys their children play with, and wish to limit said toys to those that have their stamp of approval.

I have changed my attitude towards this new theme, sort of...

a couple of months ago I have completely dismissed ninjago - ninjas and vehicles is an awful combination to me - and so is knights and, well, robo-horses

then the temple of arjitzu was announced and I really liked the build - didnt wanna buy it at first - but then I gave in - after that I bought enter the serpent on a sale. I still dont like ninjago - and will never buy a set with vehicles but kinda like the ninja theme and certain enemies (those snake guys) - in the end, its about what you make of it and not necessarily what its designed to be.

the nexo knights theme may turn out to be a disappointment for castle fans - but still, it may have certain elements, minifigs, sets, buildings that can be turned into something meaningful, even if the general theme will disappoint.

Edited by CaptainToad

My kids are absolutely happy about Pirates and knights, they just won't look at any Ninjago or Chima or SW or whatever Lego has got going they think kids might like, so no Nexo knights for my kids either ...

Personally, if my kid wants a set I dislike over a set I do like, it seems a bit silly to impose my opinion on them. Heck, I told my daughter she could have any set in the store on our visit to Legoland and she choose a stuffed kitty.

I'm not a big fan of the concept of this line, but I suspect that it will either be a complete flop or as successful as Ninjago. What I hope is that the parts and weaponry are suitable for more historically accurate mocs so that we don't lose out on innovation in that way. It's clear that Lego is trying new ways of bringing the same sets (see Forest Police/Swamp Police) throughout their line, and I don't have a problem with that.

I have changed my attitude towards this new theme, sort of...

a couple of months ago I have completely dismissed ninjago - ninjas and vehicles is an awful combination to me - and so is knights and, well, robo-horses

then the temple of arjitzu was announced and I really liked the build - didnt wanna buy it at first - but then I gave in - after that I bought enter the serpent on a sale. I still dont like ninjago - and will never buy a set with vehicles but kinda like the ninja theme and certain enemies (those snake guys) - in the end, its about what you make of it and not necessarily what its designed to be.

the nexo knights theme may turn out to be a disappointment for castle fans - but still, it may have certain elements, minifigs, sets, buildings that can be turned into something meaningful, even if the general theme will disappoint.

The Temple of Airjitzu is a great set with many really cool features. If it was Castle themed, I would probably already have it.

As for Nexo Knights, I was thinking the same thing. I suspect the Robo-Horse will be a brick-built vehicle set. If that's true, it may be a horrendous set, but it could be built out of grey, black, or pearl grey pieces, which could be very useful. If that's the case, many AFOLs may end up buying it for the parts. Of course, TLG will likely see the high sales figures and believe that we all thought it was a great set.

:sceptic:

and the kids love it without any steempunk object.

The problem here is that LEGO has never done anything actually Steampunk as in the proper Victorian Era stuff, actually just Victorian Era LEGO sets would be amazing too, really anything Historical sets would be amazing.. however most kids don't care at all about history sadly.

and will never buy a set with vehicles

I feel exactly the same way, even as a KFOL I almost never liked LEGO Vehicles and yet got tons of them :sceptic:

Edited by Isundir

As long as it's still being considered 2016's Castle Theme...

Was The Hobbit "2014's Castle Theme"? Was Elves "2015's Castle Theme"? My point is, this is not a Castle theme.

Was The Hobbit "2014's Castle Theme"? Was Elves "2015's Castle Theme"? My point is, this is not a Castle theme.

As long as the protagonists are knights, and there are castles/fortresses involved, then this is most certainly a Castle theme. However, it is not a historical theme.

It kinda is. Back in 2005, a poll about KK2 was conducted here on EB. The poll asked users whether or not they though KK2 was a Castle sub theme or a separate theme. The majority voted for the second option.

However, these days almost everyone considers KK2 a Castle sub theme, because over time they realized that that's what Lego intended it to be. Lego clearly wants this to be the next Castle theme, as they've never had a period of five years "without" as Castle theme, which would be the minimum if you were to discredit this one.

I agree with 8BrickMario to an extent. This theme is in fact a Castle theme, but not a historical theme. It will probably be kept here because Fantasy Era and KK2 were also here, and those were not historical at all. NK is a combo of those two.

Also, the Hobbit was a licensed theme, so it is automatically disqualified from being a Castle sub theme. Elves is an extension of Friends and has no knights in it, but plenty of action. That's why it's in Action Themes.

Edited by BrickJagger

I thought we had a statistic from awhile back that showed only 5-10% of all Lego sales are from AFOLs? If that's true, it's no wonder Lego doesn't cater to us. Even if we made up a larger percent, say 25-30% they would still try to appeal mostly to KFOLs.

You have to remember that almost every kid (or every other, or at the very least every third) probably loves Lego and gets a few sets a year. How many parents are into Lego though? One out of every ten? Every twenty? More? And of those, how many actually spend the vast amounts of money buying every set or multiples of every set? I'm sure the number is very small. I know I haven't spent a dime on Lego since the last Hobbit wave. Sure I bought quite a few of the better sets and army builders, and triples of everything in the Hobbit and LotR lines, but that was all I bought Lego wise (other than a few random sets like Ghostbusters and TBBT) over the five years since coming out of my Dark Ages.

That's not to say Lego can't throw us a bone. They should strive to make sets that appeal to BOTH AFOL and KFOLs.

However, these days almost everyone considers KK2 a Castle sub theme, because over time they realized that that's what Lego intended it to be. Lego clearly wants this to be the next Castle theme, as they've never had a period of five years "without" as Castle theme, which would be the minimum if you were to discredit this one.

A 2017 Castle theme, even in the summer would be 4 years from Castle 2013. I don't buy the claim that this will be as much like Castle as KK2, but only pictures will tell that.

A 2017 Castle theme, even in the summer would be 4 years from Castle 2013. I don't buy the claim that this will be as much like Castle as KK2, but only pictures will tell that.

This won't be a one-year theme, even if the first year sells poorly. The story will be set to last over several years, so even if it's a flop (which I doubt sincerely), it would cost less just to release the planned sets rather than scrap them for a new line.

Nexo Knights won't be gone until 2019, and I think it will go for longer than that.